1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Selection Headaches

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by BCFCRob, Jul 27, 2017.

1. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

So going into the new season, one thing which is debatable is how good our squad is. Personally, I think we have an abundance of talent in depth in certain positions, and while we certainly need 2/3 more signings, I think we could have a real problem with choosing a line-up at the beginning of this season. How do you choose the correct system, with the correct players while keeping everybody happy, and playing some of the enormous youth talent that we have? I must admit, I have absolutely no idea what our strongest line-up is.

A couple of examples:

Defenders - Only 2 CB spaces for Aden Flint, Hordur Magnusson, Taylor Moore (admittedly also a RB), Bailey Wright, and maybe Jens Hegeler.
    Magnusson and Moore are two players who I'm really interested in seeing progressing as they are the ones who could theoretically really make it in the future. But will they get game time?

Strikers - Famara Diedhiou, Matty Taylor, Gustav Engvall, Milan Djuric, Shawn McCoulsky, Freddie Hinds, an inevitable new signing whoever that may be, and even Bobby Reid.
    Where do you even start here? We have far too many players vying for a place here. Bobby Reid has been banging them in and there are calls for him to play up front (I'd prefer to see him sat just behind), McCoulsky and Hinds are both extremely exciting and need a chance, and even Engvall has stepped up a bit. I think a couple of the youngsters have to go out on loan, but we have to make sure we send them to the right clubs as we could have a couple of gems in that mix.

There is a slight squad imbalance caused by our youth prospects, and a lack of wide players, but interested to hear others thoughts; ultimately there are only ever 11 spots on a teamsheet.

2. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

would concur, an imbalanced squad .............
    Goal... Frankie name 7 on sheet
    Bobby Reid is the new LT but with more bite and enthusiasm? name 1 on sheet
    Forwards ... Famara & Taylor names 2 and 3 on sheet
    Defence (4-4-2) as 4 -[3-1] -2) Flint Magnusson Bailey names 4 & 5 & 6 on sheet
    Midfield A MINEFIELD OF TALENT ....from in this order... ! Paterson Smith o'Dowda Pack Brownhill Hegeler o Neil
    I have not allotted Joe as he could be defence / "midfield"

THEN YOU HAVE THE YOUNG'UNS.....!
    squad/Subs Djuric Pisano Moore Mcoulsky Lucic ... nightmare .....

3. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

I think that this is a good thread in that people often get caught up with what new signings ought to be made without considering what's already there. Like you said, there are only ever 11 players on the pitch, so how can you adhere to the wishes of playing 'proven, established' players and giving the youngsters a chance etc.

However, I don't feel like the squad is particularly bloated, and wouldn't take much to be better 'balanced'. You need squad depth to succeed over an entire campaign:

Goalkeepers: Fielding looks set to start as no. 1, which is fine, though I'd understand if people said we want an upgrade. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Lucic can prove to be tough competition and maybe have a break-through season.

Defence: Though it's true that 3 into 2 doesn't go in terms of Flint, Magnusson and Wright, I think it's great to have that cover for injuries/international call-ups and rotation - it might not even be a bad idea to practise the in-vogue 3-4-3, with Flint flanked by the other two. I'm hoping that Moore would be happy with filling in here and there in both centre defence and right-back. Bryan would be first choice at left back with Golbourne adequate cover (possible room for an upgrade here and push Bryan into midfield/winger a la Gareth Bale). On paper, Pisano should be a good right back, though we're kind of reliant on him as it would be asking a lot of Moore/Vyner if he were out long-term - we learned that from Matthews last season.

Midfield: There are plenty of names to choose from, though I'm maybe a bit concerned we're maybe missing some 'wow' factor here. Brownhill has potential to be a star and Paterson finished last season strongly, so hopefully he can keep that up and Bobby Reid does have an eye for goal. It'd be nice to see Hegeler and Smith not on the treatment table for more than 5 minutes.

Strikers: Diedhiou is likely to be one of the first names on the teamsheet, so in our usual 'one man up front' approach that's kind of that. It would be nice if from time to time we could have two up front, so a battle between Engvall and Taylor for who should get the nod more often than not could motivate them. Djuric is another who I fear is a bit of a sicknote, but a great physical option when fit and required. I'm personally happy if McCoulsky was sent out on loan, hopefully to League One. He did great for Bath, but maybe a taste of a higher division before jumping all the way to Championship level would be beneficial.

...Following on from the suggestion of a possible change up in formation, how about:

GK: Fielding

DF: Magnusson
    DF: Flint
    DF: Wright

LWB: Bryan
    RWB: Pisano

CM: Hegeler/O'Neil
    CM: Brownhill/Smith

AM: Paterson/Reid

CF: Diedhiou
    CF: Engvall/Taylor/Djuric

Maybe an interesting departure from 4-5-1/4-3-3? Thoughts?

4. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Don't understand this thread? I thought we are already relegated and it's a waste of time picking a team this season?

tiger-emyrs-wolf likes this.