1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Selection Dilemma.

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Roberto, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Roberto

Roberto Member

Have we got a selection dilemma??

With Carroll Fit again, Kuyt finding some form and a few goals and Suarez looking every part worthy of the number 7 I’m wondering what formation we all want to see for the next few games etc.

The obvious one that spring to mind for me would be…

Reina

Johnson-Carra-Skrtel-Wilson (obviously the back four can be interchangeable)

Midfield of: Gerro, Lucas, Mereiles with Gerro and Lucas doing the gritty work if required and Mereiles supporting the attack.

Then a front three of: Kuyt-Carroll-Suarez

What formation/Line up do you reckon Kenny will go for? Or what formation/Line up would you have?

2. KingPepeReina.

KingPepeReina. Active Member

Its actually a nice problem to have,well a lot better than the one we had this time last season when Torres was injured(which was usual) and all we had was Kuyt and Ngog.
    Question,should it be Kuyt and Carroll in Portugal on thursday or should it be Carroll and Ngog with the Dirkster wide right.?

3. Muppetfinder General

Muppetfinder General Well-Known Member

The way Kuyt and Suarez are getting on I can see Kenny revising his famed 4-3-3 of old. If it works don't fix it.

4. KingPepeReina.

It worked a treat against United,but it would be more difficult for them against teams that actually have a midfield.

5. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

The only problem I see with playing a traditional 4-3-3 is that we have no naturally left footed midfielders to play on the left - it would be left to Meireles who isn't left footed and doesn't play particularly well outside the CAM role.

With everyone fit I would go with...

--------------------Reina--------------------
    ----Kelly----Carragher---Agger----Johnson---
    --------------------Lucas-------------------
    -----------Gerrard---------Meireles----------
    --------Kuyt-------Carroll--------Suarez-----

This exposes Carroll as the target man, Suarez cuts in on the left which from what I've seen he does naturally, and Kuyt placed on the right - but we know he'll be everywhere wherever we play him.

Meireles and Gerrard are very much in center positions, almost looks like a 5 man strike force with Gerrard and Meireles playing and Lucas playing through balls.

Kelly is first choice RB, and Johnson does good enough at LB.

6. KingPepeReina.

Thats it,Kuyt never stays where he starts.Kenny likes interchanging players.Liverpool confused United by allowing their players to not stay in their starting positions.The only two that did apart from the defence of course were Gerrard and Lucas,they hardly moved.The sat in front of the Liverpool back four and allowed,Maxi,Kuyt,Mereiles and Suarez to run amok.None of these stayed in their starting positions.It worked a treat because Carrick and Scholes were owned by Lucas and a half fit Steven Gerrard.Nani spent most of the game before he got injured either losing the ball or dry humping the grass.Liverpool cut the supply off to Berbadross and Fatboy.

7. Roberto

Roberto Member

This for me is our best line up providing they are fit. If Kelly & Agger are out then I'd stick in Skrtel and Wilson as replacement.

And if the game requires it Gerrard can drop back next to Lucas and help out in midfield. And with the interchanging front men we'd have a very potent attack..

8. KingPepeReina.

We possibly then only need 2 wingers and a left back in the summer to compliment the squad.The midfield looks more mobile than it has done in ages.So maybe bringing Aquilani and Insua back to add a bit of depth maybe not a bad idea.
    I don't think our squad is as weak as some people would make us believe.It does need additions but not the massive overhaul that has been mentioned in the media.

9. Roberto

Roberto Member

I think now is the time to start making the 'world class' additions to the team. The added bonus being that potentially players currently in the first team will up their game again to keep their place. We might see a similar reaction by other players like Kuyt has with Suarez which would also see us up to another level.

For me Ashley Young is a good target and a good addition if it happens.

Aqua coming back would be good for the squad depth and it would give us a strong backup should someone become injured etc.

Insua has done ok on loan and I didn't see much wrong before he left that couldn't be rectified with some coaching.

10. KingPepeReina.

Regarding Insua.
    I think you may be onto something.
    I'll use an example.
    Have you noticed how more disciplined Glenn Johnson was when playing left back than he was playing right back and he has transfered that discipline to right back,He didn't really venture forward too much yesterday.He did when he was allowed to...when Liverpool were in possession.Insua was guilty of getting caught out too far up the pitch when we lost possession.Maybe a little bit of similar coaching can be done with Insua.Insua is younger than Johnson so,he would be easier to coach.