1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Second Teams

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Apr 9, 2017.

1. brb

brb CR250

I have to wonder reading social media comments after yesterday's good performance by the Gills, whether the 1992 virus has infected the modern day lower league football customer.

I call them customer because some these days seemed to have lost the loyalty and passion of supporting a team through thick and thin.

It's become very tiresome of late, reading endless comments slagging off the players, the days of Big Ship and meat pies, god bless the great man, are long gone. We now have a generation that have moved from banter and good humour to one where keyboard warriors press buttons before putting any sort of brain in gear.

I must say the performance on the pitch was far greater than the loyalty off it and I really wish they would piss off and support their second teams (apologies for swearing but it needs to be said)! We don't do Premier League at Priestfield or it's mentality, if you want that, stay at home and turn on your Sky box, because I doubt your afford to go to a so called top game.

These are the same supporters that will ask for photos with Gills players, and some even little charitable favours, along with requesting interviews for their social media sites, or even maybe just liking players comments, while in a previous breath slating that very player or their team mates. And let's not forget the end of season player awards, I wonder how many of these so called fans will attend sucking up to the same players or their team mates after harsh comments during the season.

It's no hidden fact that some times I have a harsh point of view but two things i always try and ensure is;

1. Be constructive in any criticism.
    2. Don't approach players with a different view to one you are having behind their back.

I felt yesterday both teams were apprehensive and seemed to be happy to settle for a point, it was written in the script from the first 25 minutes of the first half. So much so, I always knew who ever scored first the opposition would soon equalise. Yes I know we can be criticised for letting a lead go, when some would say Wall were there for the taking - but in my view Wall were never there for the taking, the events rolled out just as I expected them to.

It was a good game for both teams and points shared which both teams seemed happy with in their relevant positions at opposite ends of the table.

Yes, I accept, we may very well go down, but Saturday the team tried and that is all I ever ask for, I'm no glory hunter, I will support my team whether that be L1, L2 or even National League and for those that want to moan, come back and tell me about it in another 40 years time if I'm still alive.

If you want a better season with possible glory, may i recommend Ebbsfleet up the road, they do adult tickets for £12 with concessions at £9 and Children's tickets at a fiver, but be warned Keds plays for them and some will not forget the stick he also got from certain fans, hang on I'll correct this last paragraph he broke his arm yesterday, get well soon fella.

And finally congratulations to the ref who allowed the game to flow.

Up the Gills!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    grumpygit likes this.
  2. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

brb - you and I share many traditional values - although Scally will disagree with you regarding Premier League aspirations for GFC .
    I too have stated my desire that the players try. Against Millwall the Gills players did indeed try......... So why not in virtually all other games this season ? I will accept the limitations of their individual abilities - that we will probably lose to teams such as Sheffield Utd and Bolton - but that should not prevent the players from going down without a fight.
    Fans ( customers ), will see the team 'up' for the odd game and think as I do - "why can't you show passion in the other games ?" Fans will question their own sanity for remaining loyal whilst being rewarded with rubbish.
    I can understand that you consider that loyalty to Gills should be unconditional - but why ? - How is it different from any other products that we purchase these days ? I have previously asked you if you show the same loyalty to others who continually give you rubbish ? You'd be mad not to complain and discontinue your custom. That is exactly what other fans ( customers ) are doing............................. Love is no longer blind ! - open your eyes.

3. brb

brb CR250

The traditional values are that you support your club until the day you die.

I do not subscribe to post 1992 values. The disposable colours, second club syndrome, glory hunters, plastics...You either support your club through thick and thin or you don't - no half way house for me.

Price is a value installed by the Premier League, I have always fought that price and been very vocal about social cleansing of the game.

I cannot do anything about the price but people still have choice, if they don't like it take their custom elsewhere, because whatever their dreams, we have and will always be lower league.