1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Season thoughts

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, May 10, 2017.

1. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Felt very much like a Roy Keane season for me that - and glad it's done. Been a bloody disaster frankly.

* Failure to replace Murphy a disaster.
    * Mick's relationship with fans at an all time low.
    * Certain players being played when others ala Dozzell are supposedly very able.
    * Other clubs ala ( I seem to like that this morning ) Barnsley / Preston and Brentford noticeably on smaller budgets - and in Barnsley's case selling their two best assets in January ahead of us.

On the positive side... ( COUGH )
    * Used the loan market well. While I'd love Lawrence or a player like Fraser here permanently, if the only way we can sign them is for a year then we have to at this level. Sadly.
    * Webster looked to have immense promise/ Kenlock too.

With Berra going, a big summer has become bigger in my opinion. Thankfully Douglas / Leon Best / and other bang average players will be going.

We do seem to have the best generation of youth for a while, big pre season for many then a big 24 months in where they end up playing. Time will tell how good they are.

We believe Mick to be staying - however it's not 100% set in stone yet so time will tell. The board need to make funds available - and not just £1.5 mill or however much Ward and Webster cost last summer.

Appears Bart could be on his way - with the new tv deal he'll fetch upwards of £3 mill - maybe £5 mill if we're lucky and a bidding war starts.

Overall, a massive summer ahead and I'm not feeling massively confident about a successful 17/18. Other clubs are spending big sums and it's getting much much harder than ever to compete at this level. I feel it's going to be another slog but we'll have to see what the summer brings.

I hope you are all very well, and have a fun summer. Coyb :)