1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Season Review: Notts County

Discussion in 'Notts County' started by A Matter Of Time, May 23, 2013.

1. A Matter Of Time

A Matter Of Time Well-Known Member

Inconsistency was the reason why Notts County never mounted a serious play-off challenge in 2012/13. For a time they found it difficult to win at home, while having a year long unbeaten record away which was finally ended by Leyton Orient. That's not to mention the disgraceful treatment managers have been given at Notts County, with so many coming in and getting sacked so soon. Keith Curle's was extremely unfair once again, but he did well to last a year really, compared to the time others have been given.

Since Sven Goran Eriksson turned up in 2009, Ian McParland, Hans Backe, Steve Cotterill, Craig Short, Paul Ince, Martin Allen, Keith Curle and Chris Kiwomya (am I forgetting any?) have all been in charge. I was quite surprised to see Kiwomya given the job on a permanent basis considering his record prior to that was quite average, no better than what Curle did, and there were so many draws. The Notts County hierarchy really need to take a look at themselves as they are even beginning to lose key players to the persistent changes. Alan Judge decided that he'd had enough while two more of County's better players, Jeff Hughes and Julian Kelly, have also left.

I thought with Notts County's impressive recruitment during the summer of 2012, that there was a good chance of automatic promotion, let alone the play-offs, but they never managed to put a run of consistency together. There was hardly ever a settled starting line-up, and despite some impressive displays every now and then, there were flaws in abundance.

The squad is now a little on the thin side, but with a few new additions there is a good chance of promotion next season. But will Kiwomya survive? The odds may just be against him.