1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Seagulls v Magpies

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Feb 26, 2017.

1. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

There had better not be a 'soft' penalty to Brighton in this game or PhilK may have a seizure.

2. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

I think we will win this one. Or maybe lose it. Or draw. It depends on what happens in the game really.

3. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

We are well set up to stifle games against better teams. We're not as easy to beat as you guys make out.

General Lee Speaking likes this.
  4. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

5. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

6. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I don't know about that away from home. Our record away is pretty much fantastic. I think you can of course pick holes for fun in our home form but I think you have to pretty much say job well done to the manager away. We've only lost once in the last 10 matches too. His tactics away have been spot on, probably the best I've seen from any Newcastle manager (we don't have the gulf of class in players with the rest of the division KK had so its not a fair comparison).

I know the home form is killing the buzz about the place a little but I think it needs to be balance in terms of assessing us as a whole.

anyobrien likes this.
  7. Lord Jonjomort

It's a more difficult league, though. When we're at home, teams are coming, ramping up the pressure, sitting deeper and ultimately know that we still have our own limitations so can't just flick a switch and become a dynamic attacking machine.

I pray I don't eat these words, but I have a feeling we'll surprise a few tomorrow.

Sheikh_of_Araby likes this.
  8. Beardsley's Stylist

Beardsley's Stylist Well-Known Member

Going to this one in the home section as I live on the south coast. This will be the third time i've seen Brighton v Newcastle. I'm hoping it's third time lucky

Sheikh_of_Araby likes this.
  9. Warmir Pouchov

I think we have the personnel as I say to change things at home. We'd have to change what we are doing though.

I just think when Obi is being critical you can't lump the away form and approach away in with home form. We have been excellent away. I actually had a look back under KK in 92/93. We actually lost 7 of the 23 games away. Home form was excellent with only Grimsby managing to get a win. So yeah in my time watching Newcastle, Rafa has been the best bar none in terms of away tactics/results.

10. Lord Jonjomort

I think we do too, but only when all eleven of the starting line up are fit. We have to mitigate any comments we make with the reality of Rafa Benitez; that means one up top ad infinitum!!

Jack Colback and Ayoze Perez are not fit for the way Benitez plays. Colback too uncertain and incapable, Perez too weak. You can get by with the rest. The issue we have is when Hayden or Shelvey are out, there's nobody else to play aside from Colback. Anita's not much better in midfield; nervy, limited. The 4-2-3-1 is so heavily reliant on a good player as the no.10 that anyone else just looks over-exposed and poor, as we're finding with Perez and also Diame. A no.10 needs to be able to dictate play, carry the ball, be a threat, find a pass. Perez can do very little with it.

Our most attacking formation under Rafa was an advanced 4-1-4-1; Shelvey was the "1" behind the midfield, which then made it attacking because everyone in front of him was encourage 20 yards and more further forward; we did away with having any kind of destroyer because, frankly, we don't need one in this league for all but a handful of matches. Both Diame and Hayden were given license to roam and Hayden ended up with a few attempts on goal and an assist. The wingers could push up and the forward wasn't so isolated. That's what we should be doing every week.

No point talking about 4-4-2 as for some inexplicable reason it just won't happen!!!

11. Warmir Pouchov

It is probably true that we won't see it but I'd still point out that in itself is wrong. However we did show 2nd half against Bristol City that subtle tweaks can impact our ability to create and score. When Diame entered the fray at around the hour mark, we instantly got more bodies into attacking areas. Hey presto we start creating a few half chances or at least we are in areas to create. A lack of ability to deliver the right ball then cocked things up a little, but overall we looked more of an attacking threat. We need to start the home games like that rather being reactive. I'd still like 2 up top tried but failing that, lets at least set up to be attacking.

I'd change nothing away from home - so for this one I'd deploy the same tactics and personnel as usual. You can't knock the results it has brought in my opinion. We have delivered some classic away counter attack performances.

The lack of a number 10 with our style of play is undoubtedly a problem. Its one of the reasons I advocated going getting a cheap option like Hoolahan or taking as a chance on Grealish. Not going to set the world alight long term but maybe could have linked everything together at this level.

Back to Brighton though, just our standard away counter attack set up should serve us well. if it ain't broke...

12. ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter

ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter Well-Known Member

I remember not too long ago, when I lived in Hove Actually, I went along to the new ground to see them see off Darlington. How times have changed.

13. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

Honestly, the way we are playing at the moment does not fill me with much hope of a result. If we can somehow get a draw then i will count that as a massive result. I live in perpetual hope, as I cheer the lads on from here in Istanbul via a stream.

14. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Brighton are at 7/5 lads.
    Worth a punt methinks.
    Just lobbed £40 on so will get £96 back to cover the cans and trip to Huddersfield.

15. jimileysbaldhead

jimileysbaldhead Well-Known Member

I've just delivery of a stick of Brighton rock with Toon 3 Brighton 1 through the middle.

16. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

I think this is the only league match this season where we haven't been favourites to win.

BBC reporting that we're likely to field an unchanged team, I bloody hope not! Mitro, Perez and Darlow out, Murphy, Gouff and Elliott in. And anyone in for Colback! Colback's Wikipedia page is still likening him to Pirlo, I will have to vandalise that soon.

17. Lord Jonjomort

Surely we're not rocking out that same formation? I'll have to apologise to Hank, is the worst thing, because we/Rafa cannot surely be so limited as to deploy the same tactics against Brizzol at home as Brighton away???

It would have to be a bit different just to prove that Rafa had some sort of plan against Bristol. I'd have thought it nailed on we'd have at least Gouffran and Diame in, with question marks over Colback, Yedlin and Darlow depending on the fitness/form of Hayden, Anita and Elliot/Sels.

Obi Wan likes this.
  18. Warmir Pouchov

I think we will line up as follows:

Darlow

Yedlin
    Dummett
    Lascelles
    Clark

Colback
    Shelvey

Ritchie
    Diame
    Gouffran

Mitrovic

I'd exchange Elliot or Darlow but probably not change much else. If Hayden or Anita was fit I'd be putting them in for Colback.

Obi Wan likes this.
  19. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

I've got you down to win tonight, and for every other game in the Championship, this one is no different.

Cut out the silly mistakes at the back and you should win.

0-2

20. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Pretty sure we will get a result unless the game is abandoned for some reason.

<whistle>