1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Scotland

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Milk not bear jizz, May 14, 2017.

1. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

Go back far enough and France was multiple countries, yet nowadays ask a Frenchman their country and they will say they are French not a Burgundian.

200 years ago you had Neopolitans and Venicians. Now you just have Italians, who may eat neopolitan ice cream.

The relative recent history of Germany you had Prussians, Bavarians, Hannovens. Yet today they are happily united as Germans.

What went wrong with Scotland, why, centuries after merger of the crowns do we still have a separate England and Scotland?

Was James I self destructive to Great Britain by keeping the countries separate instead of declaring it all to be Britain?

Although other countries in Europe have minor regional Independence movements, Scotland seems the largest. If King Jimbo had just named us one country (like Germany, France and Italy did when they formed) instead of two kingdoms would Independence be discussed today?

Culturally the biggest difference between the two countries is that Scotland likes to bash everything English, and the English don't.

2. moreinjuredthanowen

cos you'll find that you are looking at the surface of France italy and germany.

theres loads of self identifiaction as the smaller states you talk about.

not to mention the basque country or catalans, or normandy or south of france. theres a huge split between north italy and south... yugoslavia imploded for example

scotland is just a bit wild and was never tamed by the romans. its not an issue. the victorian empire was built on scottish contributions just as much as anywhere else

Independance for scotland is just a soft dreamy bolloxolgy created by lack of any real thing to get behind as a uk country. the clyde shipyards are empty largely. scappa is not longer a key base. theres really just a soft easy welfare state and privilidged liberals up there with lots of money.

3. saintKlopp

I like Scotland.

4. Milk not bear jizz

I don't think anyone here said anything to the contrary.

Not until RHC gets back online Monday morning at least.

moreinjuredthanowen likes this.
  5. saintKlopp

He hates everyone to varying degrees.

Seriously, I agree with mito (apart from the purely provocative last bit) - I think you'd find that there's a lot more separatist feelings in other countries than you seem to believe. It's only because they're all silly foreigners who talk funny that they don't get the same prominence in the media either here or over at your place.
    Obviously we don't give a **** what Johnny Foreigner thinks or does as long as it doesn't directly affect us.

BobbyD and moreinjuredthanowen like this.
  6. Milk not bear jizz

Well Bavaria has a minimal separatist movement. North Italy has one, then there is the Basque. I don't think any has anywhere near the support Scotland has though or anywhere near as likely to happen.

The only true comparison I can think of is Catalonia, which probably should be it's own country due to the sizable majority who want it.

7. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Never been.

8. moreinjuredthanowen

didnt quebec cone somewhat close a few years ago?

Then of coyrse yankland itself plays state off v rednecks screaming usa usa so it invents foreign wars to keep itself aligned.

Ukraine is in civil war over tbis ****.

But i must say scottish indelendance 20 years ago was a joke organisation.

Its rise since the discovery of oil in the 70s is precisely what ive said. Libtards poking the proletariat to rise to make the rich richer... lol.

Also it is the failure of blairite labour that created a window for the snp in 2007 and its been given concessions by tories since which meant a referendum (lost) and a tory overall majority as labour and lib are wiped out.

The cyncial amongst us may feel the tories love the snp.

Also

The scot only look uppity when conpared to the cowed welsh who are so brojen they never even consider rising despite the harm done in the thatcher era to them.

9. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

How about you go **** yourself you uppity English prick. <whistle>

moreinjuredthanowen likes this.
  10. moreinjuredthanowen

And that's one.... :emoticon-0102-bigsm

luvgonzo likes this.

11. saintKlopp

I believe some Welshmen even support English football teams.

Milk not bear jizz and luvgonzo like this.
  12. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

Why is there a thread about ****ing sweaties? <grr>

13. saintKlopp

So you can give us your considered opinion on our northern brethren.

BobbyD and Milk not bear jizz like this.
  14. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

I've actually had a couple of highly enjoyable experiences with them, to be honest. I can't say that about the garlic munchers, though <laugh>