1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Schweinsteiger

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by glazerfodder, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

And it's exactly that, a guess.

2. Stan

Stan Stalker

I said it was a guess. I don't claim to be #ITK

The manager doesn't want him at the club though.

3. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Human nature: greed?

Is the millionaire with £600m ever satisfied? You can bet your bottom dollar he won't be. he wants to be a billionaire.

4. Stan

Stan Stalker

I just didn't understand why you picked out a figure of £100m.

Lots of wealthy people retire once they think they've made enough.

5. Christiansmith

Are you serious? He is not even mid 30s. He has the rest of his life to increase that money. He needs to have some goals and something to work for after football. I am not saying it is the only goal but he'll be looking to increase his "savings"!

6. Stan

Stan Stalker

He's chosen a couple of million over a season of football elsewhere. Given how wealthy he is I think that's pretty pathetic. It's not like his next club wouldn't pay him. They just wouldn't pay him as much as United do.

7. Christiansmith

We all have different approaches to life. Some prefer to play football no matter where and which division. Some prefer to stay with a top club, drawing top money. Do you remember that chelsea Dutch player who spent nearly his whole contract of 5 years not playing for the first team refusing to leave and drawing his large wages? He then retired from football with his few millions. Wasted career but his ambition was possibly to earn millions.

8. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

No, clearly.

That doesn't mean he has to walk away from a job he's still in a position to do. Nothing he has said or done has suggested he's a disruption or a Winston Bogarde. He's merely asking to be considered for a position and will work towards that.
    If he's still stagnating at Christmas and someone comes in then yes, by all means leave.

He probably sees Fellaini getting a game and thinks why can't I. Understandably.

9. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Tbf I think that too, and I'm not even a professional footballer!

Skylarker likes this.
  10. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Anyway, bottom line is that when fully fit Schweinsteiger is an asset to the squad, I find it completely bizarre anyone would think otherwise.

I accept for definite that the three first choice CM's in.the squad SHOULD be Pogba, Herrera and Schneiderlin. Schneiderlin needs to step up into his role at a big club though and so far he hasn't.

That leaves Fellaini of course, then the invaluable experience and class of Carrick & Schweinsteiger.

No problem.

Unless of course his relationship with Jose sours, and then there's only one winner. No sign of that though, bar the odd sarccy comment from Jose.

11. Stan

Stan Stalker

I guess if it's purely money that motivates him then it's an ideal situation for him for the next two years. He can do some light training with the youth team and spend his days off watching his missus play tennis whilst earning millions of pounds.

12. Stan

Stan Stalker

Schwein's problem is the manager doesn't see him as part of the squad. He's openly said that Schwein is way down the pecking order, so much so that he's not even included him in the Europa squad, the competition in which fringe players have the best chance of featuring. We may find Fellaini starting ahead of anyone perplexing but the fact is Schwein is behind him, Carrick, Pogba, Herrera and Schnei so he is not going to play much if at all. Still, he chose to stay, which is his right but I would expect someone with his track record and bank balance to have more pride when the manager has made it clear that he's not in his plans, even for a low priority tournament.

13. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

The Europa league has limits on non 'home grown' players so his chances of inclusion are limited by that anyway. Good way of giving an older player recovery time, eh?

Yeah, I get Jose doesn't want to play him. It's not in question. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it. Therefore, I won't castigate the bloke for not simply ****ing off just because the new boss doesn't like him.

Skylarker and Diego like this.
  14. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

There are still two domestic cups to play in, Jose said all members of the squad will get playing time and has now named Schweini in the squad.
    I would imagine Schweini knows he has been poor due to injury but has enough belief in himself to prove his worth to the squad if he can get/stay fit.

15. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Managers have many different ways of motivating players, Jose saying he will find it hard to get playing time might just be his way of saying prove you deserve a game.

16. Stan

Stan Stalker

Fair enough, I just think a footballer's life is a privileged one and given how successful he has been and how wealthy he is, I find it a bit pathetic that he'd rather earn a few quid extra and not play instead of earning a few quid less and playing for the last couple of years of his career. If I had 50million in the bank I'd prefer to play and "only" another 10million as opposed to training with the kids and earn another 15million.

17. Stan

Stan Stalker

Maybe, let's see. I would happily admit to being wrong as I was hopeful he was going to be a cracking signing. I must admit, I found it odd that he spent so much of his recovery time watching tennis abroad while the season was still going on (another example of **** management by LVG).

18. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Yeah, I put that down to van Gaal more than I do Schweinsteiger.
    If they didn't want him to go they could and would have stopped him. Simple as that.

There seems to be a degree of resentment from some that he got fit for Germany in the euros yet United have a long history of allowing, bending over for even, unfit players go to world cups for England so I don't see the difference.

The likes of Owen Hargreaves were also supported for seasons on end, by club and fans, in their 'pursuit' of fitness.

Schweinstieger doesn't even come close to taking the piss in the same way.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  19. Stan

Stan Stalker

I consider Hargreaves to be an A grade **** who took the piss out of United and then moaned about being booted out. I've noticed that this season he's stopped slating United and is back on the bandwagon. I'm sure he'll revert back to City if we have a slump. Cracking player but a total prick.

20. Christiansmith

Not for us <ok>