1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Schwartz wants it

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, May 24, 2017.

1. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Dont understand why all the clamour for Pearson, this is the same guy who was virtually fighting on the touchline with an opposition player, had a big fall out with the media and was almost in personal meltdown when Leicester sacked him.
    Yes he put together the squad which Ranrairi (spelling)won the title with, but it wasn't him who won the title.
    Leicester were going down the previous season until he got them results in the last eight or so games.
    Personally I think he's only one notch up from PDC in the mentality stakes and I wouldn't trust him, but that's only my opinion.

2. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

The answer is in your own words, the fact that he put together a team, at Leicester no less, that went on to win the league is far more important than whether he's a bellend or not, which he clearly is.

BIG BAZ likes this.
  3. QWOP

QWOP Well-Known Member

Sorry, I meant in terms of you giving Schwartz a go. However Pearson might be your best realistic option

4. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

y
    The post was about the need to have a manager with a knowledge of Wearside culture
    "for me a key requirement for an initial sift of candidates - then he gets interviewed
    other good options are Ally McCoist , SKP and possibly Nigel Clough - Sunderland born"

Not saying Clough would be be an ideal choice but he's had success in lower leagues - bit like his dad - who went on to be one of the best managers in England.
    We've had experienced managers before without great success - probably the best was Peter Reid but before he came here had never done much.
    What about Roy Keane - but using your argument WTF had he done before he came here - no offence intended.
    Like I said they need to be interviewed first and we have no sway there.
    At the end of the day whoever comes needs our full backing
    Even at rock bottom Sunderland its never dull <doh>

5. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

To be fair they won the league under Ranierri - Pearson is a hot headed disciplinarian - a grafter imo .
    But if he is selected he maybe what we need to sort the club out and we have an ex- Leicester scout in the club - a back room connection in place .
    He's not my choice though.

6. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

True Ranieri was in charge but I feel that it was in large part thanks to the squad and team spirit that Pearson generated. I could take over at Real Madrid and if all I did was tell the players to do what they did last season they'd probably still win the league or come close.

Brian Storm likes this.
  7. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Way confirmed Ranieri changed very little in the title winning season, he just left things be. It's this season he made big changes in the structure of the club. The man doesn't believe in sports psychology and sacked off all aspects. Just a few months following Ranieri getting shot Pearson's 'generals of peace' and that Leicester squad became toxic very very quickly.

I think Ranieri would be a car crash. Pearson brought the discipline, he brought the unity and he brought the spirit. Then Ranieri rode on it. Then ****ed it up trying to do his own thing.

I don't think there's better candidate out there for 'getting' what Sunderland is all about than Pearson, he doesn't need to know the town as his footballing ethic mirrors our own.

I think it could be a match made in heaven providing we stop being so precious about our managers in press conferences. Cause his relationship with the press is strained, they don't get on, but you don't win football matches by giving good interviews

Nostalgic, mackemwelder and Nacho like this.
  8. bonnybobbypark

bonnybobbypark Well-Known Member

Lots of good posts and strong arguments for or against candidates on here, but I reckon I KNOW who will be the next SAFC manager..................

Whoever is the cheapest.

x

cumbrianmackem likes this.
  9. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

10. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Brought Burton up and kept them up. Personally think he'd be better than most names being spouted about.

11. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

WTF??? It was actually Shiraz

If you look elsewhere you will see I have suggested Pearson as the ideal candidate as I reckon IMHO we need a strong manager who can sort out the dressing room. All I was saying for the record, is that the club is ****ed financially as we all well know as does the rest of the world and it's going to be difficult to encourage a top manager to come in.

I even saw on another thread that Wenger has been mentioned <laugh><laugh><laugh> FFS like he's going to chuck Arsenal and come to us?<laugh><laugh><laugh>

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  12. mackemwelder

None taken mate. :emoticon-0148-yes:

red&white wanderer likes this.
  13. mackemwelder

TBF mate, I've had that much personal **** going on that I haven't even looked at SAFC or the list of candidates (victims)

Gil T Azell likes this.
  14. mackemwelder

At least he showed some emotion, unlike that cardboard cutout of Moyes with his arms folded on the touchline.

15. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Not sure what your budgets are and that will dictate who you get. In one sense as a Newcastle fan I'll take pleasure in your demise. On the other hand how long do we want to without a derby? How many London/Southern teams do we want in the PL?

We've seen both signs of the coin. Loads of money, getting an experienced manager and not so much money and falling into bed with a guy with minimal experience. Both routes are viable. Your situation is obviously different financially to our recent relegation, and you don't really have the team to stick together like the first time under Hughton.

I assume you will be doing this on a tight budget. Pearson would be a good selection but being honest I think he will choose Boro over you every day of the week. For a few reasons but mainly the connection and Gibson.

I would not discount a risk like Phillips or Schwartz. They will give it everything. They have stayed around football and I'm sure they will be able to pick up some players one way or the other.

The more important thing and thing we've learnt both times is the fans. It is time to dust yourselves off, pull together and get rid of the negativity. Regardless of the chairman and the years of ****e, the fans pulling together in huge numbers and remembering it is their club can galvanise the club and see you through a lot of ****.

Saying that the fans need something to get behind however small. They need to get an appointment in place and get that squad sorted out pronto. Next season always creeps on quickly and if you get into July without action then you're behind the 8 ball. The fans will get behind a boss they can believe in and one they think has their back. That is regardless of budgets. Short just had to make sure it's not a divisive appointment like Pardew or Cotterill!

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  16. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I'd be mortified at Pearson, for all he did sone decent work at Leicester he ****ed it everywhere else.

Celtic fella I've been with this morning was raving about Mcinnes.

Tel (they/them) likes this.
  17. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

I know **** all about McInnes and still think Super Kev or Schwartz would be a risk. Bit like Ole Gunnar Solskjaer at Cardiff.

Still Pearson for me. Get in; kick arse; build a team.

18. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

What was he saying about him specifically? I haven't got a handle on what kind of manager he is at all.

19. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Says he'll switch tactics mid game always has a plan b, develops players and changes the whole set up depending on opposition.

Very highly thought of up there and maybe Bristol City just came a bit soon for him.

Nacho likes this.
  20. Sunderlad

Sunderlad Well-Known Member

Problem being with the amount of players wanting off/selling he wouldn't need to kick any arse because they'd all be gone :)