1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Schwartz wants it

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, May 24, 2017.

1. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Former Sunderland midfielder Stefan Schwarz has expressed his interest in taking over from David Moyes as the club's manager.

The 48-year-old Swede, who made 76 appearances for Peter Reid's side as they finished in seventh place in the Premier League in both 1999-00 and 2000-01, holds a FIFA Pro Licence and has worked as assistant manager at Helsingborg and with the Sweden U21 squad.

Schwarz told the Evening Chronicle: "I spent four very good years at Sunderland and it is a club that I care very much for.

"I have played for some very big clubs in Europe and won a lot of trophies, but my time at Sunderland is right up there with any of those.

"I think I understand the mentality of the Sunderland fans, and the culture of the area. Sunderland teams have to have an identity, and the players need to know their duties and responsibilities to each other.

"I also know how to work with players from many different cultures, which is important in the modern game.

"Of course if the chance came to manage Sunderland, I would be very interested."

red&white wanderer likes this.
  2. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

He'd be a possible good choice imo - he gets Sunderland, for me a key requirement for an initial sift of candidates - then he gets interviewed
    other good options are Ally McCoist , SKP and possibly Nigel Clough - Sunderland born
    Whoever we get needs to be accepted by most fans <ok>

3. BIG BAZ

BIG BAZ Well-Known Member

I'll agree with that. Who ever it is we have to accept it and get behind him. Just ****ing please that dour jock has gone

clockstander likes this.
  4. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

I loved Schwartz he oozed class and you could tell when watching him how much of a top player he was.
    I just wish we signed him 5 years earlier.

red&white wanderer and BIG BAZ like this.
  5. red&white wanderer

Really think he'd bring the same class to management in England - with SKP & Arca coaching perhaps ??
    As Baz said we all need to get behind the new man - a " one season rocking SOL in the championship" - post moyes syndrome has struck me EDIT smily <doh>

Teessidemackem and BIG BAZ like this.
  6. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

I've said on other threads we need to step away from the usual managers merry go round and Schwartz would be a good fit for us, we need to think about someone up and coming and give them a chance, we were well screwed over by giving the experienced Mr Moyes a chance and look where that got us.
    Schwartz, Philips etc, they know the club and the fans would buy into such an appointment, is Short brave enough to give them a go.
    It frightens me to think Moyes and Walter Smith are having an input into our new manager, totally scarey.

Teessidemackem and BIG BAZ like this.
  7. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

He needs to manage somebody for at least a couple of years, before we should consider him. No idea what style of football he will play or anything.

I prefer somebody with experience.

8. red&white wanderer

QUOTE="cumbrianmackem, post: 10575492, member: 1002668"]I've said on other threads we need to step away from the usual managers merry go round and Schwartz would be a good fit for us, we need to think about someone up and coming and give them a chance, we were well screwed over by giving the experienced Mr Moyes a chance and look where that got us.
    Schwartz, Philips etc, they know the club and the fans would buy into such an appointment, is Short brave enough to give them a go.
    It frightens me to think Moyes and Walter Smith are having an input into our new manager, totally scarey.[/QUOTE]
    I am horrified -a moyes legacy - hopefully they disclude his suggestions - we want positive winners - no more moyse negativity as he needs professional CBT help outside of football for positive thinking (and skills in handling the media ?) <ok>

9. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I'd be worried about his lack of experience but he was a top player and I like what he said about the club needing an identity. Just seems a bit mad to gamble on someone when there are proven managers we could get.

10. David Moyes' Stupid Face

David Moyes' Stupid Face Well-Known Member

I agree with others on here. As nice as it would be, it's just too much of a risk to hand the job to someone with literally zero experience. Even if he'd managed in, say, the Swedish league for a couple years and done a decent job I'd be happy with it, but somebody who has literally never attempted the job before in their life? We can't afford that kind of gamble imo.

11. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

We've had at least half a dozen proven managers in the past six years and where has that got us, yep the Championship, time to give a rank outsider a go.

arthur likes this.
  12. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Too big a job for an inexperienced manager. No from me

Deleted and Jack TheLad like this.
  13. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Are you classing PDC and Poyet as proven managers? Behave<laugh>.

14. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

FFS not McCoist - he was found wanting at Rangers and not even in the SPL.

Get s grip folks.....

Still hoping it's Sam, with SKP as assistant.

Bart

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  15. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I know what you mean but just because it's been bad doesn't mean it wouldn't have been worse with total novices in charge.

16. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

No experience. Just what we don't need.

17. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Maybe he will be Scottish

18. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Wouldnt be my first choice but hey we have totally f*cked up on every other appointment, bar Sam, so why not.

19. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

Moyes .O'neill.S. Bruce.H Wilkinson.M Buxton.T Butcher.D Smith.L MCmenemy experience did not work in the past mate, don't want history repeating. god forbid experience, Pardue,B Bradley,A Karanka,Mike Phelan,I Dowie,

20. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Wouldn't fill me with loads of hope but would get my backing 100%.

Maybe be better off as assistant for a couple seasons?