1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Schmeichel Bid Points to Bleak Summer for Leeds

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by BillysStatue, Jun 20, 2011.

1. BillysStatue

BillysStatue Well-Known Member

The acceptance of Leicester City's bid for Kasper Schmeichel today has really left me scratching my head. With no senior goalkeeper in place, it makes you wonder why Leeds are taking money for a talented young 'keeper who could probably contribute to this club for a while to come. So why are we selling him? Is it because we are still refusing to pay decent wages? If so, how can we have the Beckford/Johnson argument of play them until their contracts run out, but then go and contradict that by selling our only 'keeper?

Bates clearly is going to accept bids that he feels are worthwhile. Grayson will no doubt be signing a couple of has-been 'keepers on free transfers while the Schmeichel money is stuck away in a suitcase under a bed somewhere. Expect Snodgrass to follow for anything near £5m, and Gradel will also be gone if Swansea chuck some of their Premiership lolly at Bates.

The acceptance of Leicester's bid is particularly galling, as it shows a distinct lack of ambition to be selling such a good young talent to one of our promotion rivals, and a club we consider as a lesser competitor. Buying Schmeichel will give Leicester a big lift, and help them with their belief that they can gain promotion this year. Nice one Ken!!

Something is clearly not right at Leeds when the only transfer talk is about our good players leaving. It is highlighted even more when we sell our only senior 'keeper without a replacement in place!! Now should Grayson actually consider BUYING a 'keeper the price will go up that bit more because clubs know we haven't got anyone between the sticks!! If the club feels selling Schmeichel is the right thing to do, fine...but at least do it once you have another 'keeper in, and one that you really want!

No, for me this Mr Bates is starting to really show a lack of ambition for our club. I have always supported him, but I have given him the benefit of the doubt until THIS close season. Bates has always played back the drama of our collapse at the hands of Ridsdale, and he knows full well that we don't want to experience that pain again. Too right!! But he can only use the "prudence" excuse for so long. We now need investment to move ahead. Leeds is a big club with excellent support, and the club has made a lot of money over the last three seasons, with not a lot going out.

We do not have to be a club trying to build a squad on free transfers anymore. We should be going out and signing players we have identified as the quality we need, and paying them the wages they require to come to Elland Road. I don't believe this "we have to be careful" excuse anymore. If we are not careful, we may find that our money is gone anyway, into the pockets of the shareholders!!

2. Best Fans

Best Fans Active Member

Hardly about us not paying out decent wages, Kasper was the highest paid player at the club. "He was the highest paid player at the club, being paid 1 million pounds annually." - that's from Wikipedia about when he was at Notts County. If he was paid a million a year in League 2, then he's on more at Leeds.

I think it probably shows how the coaching staff rate Kasper. Beckford was too important for us to sell him, but Schmeichel isn't. He's talented, but if we get a better keeper in, then it's good business.

3. Liw

Liw Member

There is no way he was on £20k at leeds, no way

4. Jerel Ifil

Jerel Ifil Well-Known Member

He was on £15k a week at Notts, allegedly on £16-20k here. Not good enough for a promotion team and too much ego in my opinion. Not a top player being prised from us, just a player who's not good enough who's being offloaded. I don't think it points to a bleak summer, let's see who replaces him before we make any conclusions, though I think the optimistic argument is as strong as the pessimistic one here.

5. Best Fans

Best Fans Active Member

I think he's good, but he's overated. Just been listening to Peter Lorimer on Yorkshire radio, who pointed out some of his mistakes (away at Millwall) and said that he's got some bad points. If we get a better replacement, I'll be happy.

6. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Very highly rated-by himself. Not sorry to see him go. Saw us as a stepping stone,cheeky bastard! To where...Leicester??!! Thats a step in the wrong direction surely? Lets get someone in who sees Leeds United as the pinnacle of his career. We don't need a guy who basks in the reflected glory of his father. Easily replaced...good riddance.

7. Best Fans

Best Fans Active Member

"He will officially leave the club on May 11. A number of Premier League clubs, including Birmingham City and Blackburn, are understood to be interested.

Schmeichel joined Notts County on a five-year contract in August 2009 as one of the major signings by former director of football Sven-Goran Eriksson.

However, his current wages - understood to be £14.5k a week - have already contributed to the weak financial state of the club and are due to rise substantially over the remainder of his contract. It was for this reason that the club have sought to end their association with the player. "

That's about why he left Notts County, from the Telegraph. He was on big wages in League 2, so I reckon he took an increase to come to Leeds. He's on over £15/16k atleast.

8. Liw

Liw Member

Understood

Thats a big word.

Newspaper always upped the wages.

No way is he on £20k.

Listen to bates about paying another first team player £7k.

Don't believe the hype of papers

9. Jerel Ifil

BBC aren't a newspaper and aren't sensationalists. It's not hype, it's balanced reporting; there's no reason why they'd deliberately lie. And until you show me some proof that Bates isn't paying £15k+, of course we're going to assume that Schmeichel has had a wage increase from his Notts days. Bates isn't a complete micro-manager; we make a huge turnover for this level so naturally we have a sizeable wage kitty. How do you think we got O'Brien and McCartney? On less than 7kpw? No chance; closer to 20k realistically.

10. Best Fans

Best Fans Active Member

Alright, so maybe it's not £20k but he's still one of highest paid players at the club. He is overated, but it all depends on who we bring in before we can judge us selling him.

11. MarkoLUFC

MarkoLUFC Well-Known Member

I'm tired of Liw already and he's not been on not606 for long.

12. Liw

Liw Member

Donald

Where do you think the bbc get there info from, am not disputing others are on more, am saying no way he's on 20k and no pay he was on 15K at notts county. Yes county were paying him alot but average wage in league two is 30k a year

Do you think bbc have wages info, of course just nicking it off other media's.

13. Liw

Liw Member

And how do I know he wasnt on 15k a week at Notts county, because his manager, steve Cottrill, said on talksport last season.

Said he was on big wages for League 2 but the figures of 15k were no where near

14. Jerel Ifil

Munto Finance in charge of Notts were absolutely loaded. They were paying Sol Campbell £40kpw for Christ's sake! Of course they paid shedloads for Schmeichel, I remember at the time there were reports that his wages alone had busted Notts County's 60% wages:turnover threshold. And I'm more inclined to believe the Daily Mail and the BBC than LIW, sorry. If there's no alternative evidence there, that's all there is for me to believe.

15. MarkoLUFC

MarkoLUFC Well-Known Member

and look at Notts County now <laugh>

16. Jud_Danger

Jud_Danger Member

John Lukic has been seen at Elland Road......he is 3rd choice after Mark Beeney & Eric Thordsvedt turned us down cos they wanted 5yr contracts but we would offer no less than 7yrs.....taking them past their 103rd & 121st birthdays respectivly.

Leeds United 2011/12

Lukic

Dixon Bould Woodgate Dorigo

Anderton Bowyer Frings Smith Sharpe

Deane

£600 a year to watch mi ****in grandads mates play every week.

Go ****ing **** yasen ya ****in **** ****s!!!!!!!!

17. BillysStatue

BillysStatue Well-Known Member

Look, wages are always an emotive subject, but you also have to count in bonuses, and in the case of a 'keeper clean sheets count a lot!! Kasper earned very little for clean sheets with that dross defence in front of him. Even Gordon Banks in his prime would have looked bad with our defence. Beckford was very important to Leeds, and with him in our side we would probably have done better last season, yet we let our top scorer go for free because Bates wouldn't go above his wage cap. Schmeichel is not on £20k, in fact I bet he is below £10k. Leeds are not going to spend whilst still in the Championship. Bates wants us to go up on the cheap, and not risk his lolly on buying a team that may fail.

18. leedsmadness

leedsmadness Member

I dont think KASPER was on 15k, in case ur not aware they have a cap in league 2, Wages are not allowed to be more than 60% of turnover, reducing to 55% next season, The 1st division must fall into line next season followed by the Championship the next year.

19. Jerel Ifil

Indeed, however Notts County appear to have been naughty boys:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ar...it-Notts-County-keeper-Kasper-Schmeichel.html

20. I used to be john fallen

I used to be john fallen Active Member

" a club we consider a lesser competitor....."
    thats your problem ,football has moved on and leeds still live in the long lost past...arrogant and sad...a bit like forest...
    Your club still has a long way to go..and your fans even longer....wake up ......reality bites...its less painful that way....