1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sb73 wish comes true....Mackie offered new contract

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by qprbeth, May 8, 2017.

1. NorwayRanger

NorwayRanger Well-Known Member

He converted 'that pass' from Manning. For that alone he's earned his extension.

2. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

.............. at reduced wages, mind you.

seagullhoop likes this.
  3. Didley Squat

For SB to star in 2018, wouldn't that be on the expectation of Mackie playing and scoring for the club?
    And ............. do own goals count?

Yours sincerely,
    Very Concerned Fan

4. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Sounds good if the plan is League 1 in a season or two, followed by League 2, and in 5 to 10 years non League football.

danishqp and qpherts like this.
  5. KooPeeArr

KooPeeArr Well-Known Member

That doesn't make sense I'm afraid.

6. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Oh come on Jock. For that to happen would take much more than Happy Clappy Mackie. You would need a club with a 5 year record of failure at every level, where mediocrity is a cherished ambition, where failure to learn from mistakes is a core part of the 'vision', where..............oh ****.

rangercol and QPR Oslo like this.
  7. Supergod00

Supergod00 Active Member

People need to think beyond the first 11, we need a squad of players and on lower wages Mackie is a reasonable squad player. If nothing else his hard work and commitment might rub off on a couple of other players in training, let's wait and see all the ins and outs over the summer before we start to panic!!

8. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

That is absolutely correct .... for all my joking I totally agree.
    Mackie would run through a brick wall and will give 100%. Perfect as a squad player If he signs he won't be one who sulks, and refuses to put in a shift.

If we have a good 1st team...three or four players on the bench that can change a game. Mackie is perfect to bring on in the last 15 minutes or to start in cup games

9. qpherts

qpherts Well-Known Member

Mackie was washed up so we get him back same as the manager

10. seagullhoop

seagullhoop Well-Known Member

Still... throwing cash at the problem didn't work, perhaps a little patience all round as suggested above?

As has been said by many of the more shrewd analysts of our club, we need to pick our man and stick with him (and the club appear to have done that now).

Allow him to make mistakes, bring in the players he wants (and can afford) and just see where it goes. What we do know - and of this there is no doubt - that our current cycle of sacking a manager every year and expecting the replacement to turn the team into world beaters is just not working.

Despite the loud protestations to the contrary from some on here - we have a squad that at least appears to give a **** - which is a step forward from where we were only a couple of years ago however you look at it. We have some young and exciting players that, given our support are capable of turning in great performances and sending us home happy once a week.

Given the financial constraints of FFP (and the understandable disinclination of the board to gamble a shedload of cash again) we are unable to compete with the majority of clubs at this level. It means we have to search for rough diamonds, buy cheap and probably take risks on lower league players' ability to step up. As fans, I believe we need to accept some responsibility for ensuring that our players are given the chance to develop their craft and grow into their roles without being booed, barracked and having their confidence shot down.

No-one performs better when they are constantly told they are **** - as an U10 coach it amazes me why parents (fans) think that telling a young kid they are 'letting the team down' or 'a liability' is in any way supportive or acceptable, but it does happen.

Players are equally human, and despite the fact that they have more experience, and better coping strategies for dealing with fans' ire - it is inevitable that it will have an effect. Just as the crowd roaring the team on has a positive effect. There is no-one that hasn't been at HQ who wouldn't agree that one is infinitely more pleasurable than the other.

Some argue it's a chicken and egg situation - why should we cheer the team on if they are playing ****e football? Personally I can't see how it makes it any better - perhaps calling the players ****s might make the fan feel 'better' in the short term, but to what end? The team almost certainly still loses and the fan spends two hours on here telling anyone that will listen how they could do a better job (they can't).

Anyway... I'm looking forward to next season, who knows, we might do ok with a more settled squad and without the annual 'start afresh' moment. We might beat some of the big boys, we might get our revenge against the Bees and do the double over Fulham if they fail to make it up. (Even if they do we can almost certainly enjoy them getting turned over every week.)

Small pleasures...because expecting anything else isn't the QPR way.

11. Stan Dupp

Stan Dupp Well-Known Member

As much as I like Mackie, having him in the squad, let alone the team, means we are short of depth.

Surely it's time to draft in an 18 y o from the youth set up that can come on and chase a ball for 20 minutes like a dog in the park and raise his hands to the crowd and kiss the badge?

Sorry if I am being harsh but having players the quality of Mackie is why we are a couple of points off relegation. Harsh but true.

Didley Squat and danishqp like this.
  12. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind our rich owners spunking a shed load more money in an attempt to get us promoted. This time though, they should try buying decent players, NOT washed up has-beens.

Just a thought.

QPR Oslo likes this.
  13. seagullhoop

My only worry about this is that it wouldn't necessarily develop the player - when you have a talented kid, the best thing you can do is to send them out on loan for real week in, week out match experience - a 10 minute cameo is likely neither beneficial for the club nor the player, and will not result in a more rounded, experienced player for the future when Mackie has eventually departed. In addition imagine the reaction of crowd if the 18yo makes a mistake - we are not known for our tolerance are we?

...if this is really the case, then I'm not sure even having the services of PepG or SAF would be able to save our season - happily I don't believe this is the case, so I'll carry on enjoying my rose tinted world and believing that we are not just the sum of our parts...

14. seagullhoop

Because decent* players would be flocking to LR in their droves....

(*not mercenaries)

Edit: Just to add... is there any evidence that the club didn't try to buy 'decent' player that last time?

15. rangercol

Ok. I meant young players with potential.

16. seagullhoop

Sorry I edited a bit after... but yes I agree I'm all for young players with potential, but as far as I can see that is exactly what we are trying to do, and have been doing.

And if we can only afford young potential (which appears to be the case) we then must expect the inconsistency that goes with that inexperience. As fans I really do believe we simply have to be more balanced about our expectations versus our desires.

17. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

We can debate Mackie's qualities as a player but at least when he kisses the badge you know he genuinely means it so I think that's a bit unfair. Also when he finally made his return to the team for that (albeit brief) little period he was arguably one if our most effective players. I'd keep him but can understand why others wouldn't, cancer us being spoilt for choice though.

18. seagullhoop

Agreed.

Ultimately, in the last 10mins he is still a potential match changer available at reduced cost and someone who will be a positive influence on the dressing room. It's a pragmatic decision - something we have been sorely lacking for a while - I'm surprised at the level of vitriol that the announcement has generated - especially since he hasn't even signed the contract (afaik).

19. rangercol

Yes we do have to have a more balanced in our expectations, but is it too much to ask that we can have a coach who can get our players to be able to string more than a couple of passes together?

20. Didley Squat

Very accurate assessment there mate.