1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Saudi Arabia football team fail to line up for minute's silence in honour of London terror attack

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Beef, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

The Saudi's certainly do not support Isis or Daesh as they are called locally. In all my dealings with the Saudi's the impression I got was that they despise them.
    I may not like the regime out there but the people don't seem to have a major problem with it.
    There is a lot of evidence to support their reported dislike for Isis although no doubt they too have their share of radicals just as we do in the UK. Their recent isolation of Qatar would suggest otherwise to. Not to mention their assistance to the Yemen.

2. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

There's now been an apology from the Saudi FA.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-40198696

I really don't think it's quite that bad - it's not as though the players just ignored the minute's silence and were kicking the ball about and laughing and joking, they stood quietly where they were, many with heads bowed. Does it really matter that they didn't line up together?

Lff likes this.
  3. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

As genuine as the Scouse apology? Anyway if a genuinely decent Saudi millionaire (are there any?), stepped in to usurp the Chinese would you take it or reject it

4. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I think I'll leave that question until it needs to be answered.

5. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

My preferred ownerships in descending order.
    1. plump female Swiss millionaires (unspecified :))
    2. British billionaires
    3. Western European billionaires
    4. American billionaires
    5. Chinese billionaires
    6. Russian billionaires/Middle Eastern billionaires

My reasoning...how accountable they are for their money source. Not saying that you can lump people together depending on their origin, but my list reflects how increasingly anxious I would get if one of these became the owner of my beloved club. I want to have pride in the owner.

6. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

The Saudi regime does not fund ISIS. Qatar does which is why all diplomatic relations has been cut with Qatar by the Saudis, the UAE, Bahrain and Egypt. Individuals may indeed support ISIS.
    Good post; l live in the UAE and as the news has recently reported; Saudi, UAE, Bahrain, Egypt and Yemen have broken off diplomatic relations with Qatar for alleged support of ISIS and other fundamentalist terror groups so this on here suggesting Sauid sponsors ISIS need to check their facts. There are very probably individuals who sponsor terrorism in Saudi. On the matter of respecting those that have lost their lives by a minutes silence; this culturally is a foreign concept and the clerics have discussed at length of this is appropriate under their teachings and there are those that believe it appropriate and those clerics that do not.
    You could argue the point "when in Rome" etc., but from a religious standpoint such reasoning does not apply.