1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic San Francisco Treasures

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Hoop-Leif, Jan 13, 2017.

1. YappyR

YappyR Well-Known Member

I also forgot to mention Chinatown, of course, not that we don't have great Chinese food in London and England, the one in SF is also quite a site to see and eat around.

If you like the night life, then
    http://www.sanfrancisco.com/nightlife/adult-entertainment.html

I went to a couple of them um, errrrrr Live ones, back in the 90s and it was quite.... errrrrr fleshy......ummmmm ya know, sort of had to get out of there tout de suite, in and out, if ya know wot I mean.......... hahahahaha

Hoop-Leif likes this.
  2. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

Alcatraz IS interesting, Yappy is only down on it because I think he may have spent some time there!
    Actually I saw it be taking the helicopter, my first ride in one ever.

Staines R's, Kilburn and Hoop-Leif like this.
  3. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Does anyone remember the bloke with the bush who used to jump out from behind it to scare the tourists?

4. Hoop-Leif

Hoop-Leif Well-Known Member

Cheers Yappy. Still doing Alcatraz, purely fro the historical viewpoint.....can't go Francisco and not go to see it. It's only 3 odd hours after all.....leaves us with days to see the beautiful places!

Doing the bridge and Lombard street....very much hoping to get out to Twin Peaks, love my photography and I know it's supposed to be a spectacular viewing point.

We love museums so the science and De Young ones are some pencilled in.

Thanks for the LucasFilm Star Wars place info, will definitely try to visit that one now!!

5. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

Yappy talks ****e....don't miss Alcatraz...and do it in the last boat over.

6. YappyR

YappyR Well-Known Member

He said "Treasures" mate. <laugh> Alcatraz is not a treasure, it's now become a kind of circus, a joke. <laugh> Personally, I don't care about the prison. Prison are places I avoid like the plague. Cold, scary. And Alcatraz was the same. But just old and worn, and empty. I went over there because of the trip on the boat. I like boats. <laugh>
    But I will say that there is one good thing about the island. It's an island in the Bay. And once you are there, you do get a decent view looking back towards the city skyline and you may get some good pics from that angle. Hopefully it's not one of them days you get the famous fog. The fog usually clears by the afternoon, but by the looks of the weather in Northern Cali this current winter, who knows what the summer will bring.

You could also get the amazing, famous, view of Golden Gate over the estuary and looking back towards the City from the Marin Headlands. Just Google the pics in "Marin Headlands view of Golden Gate" and you will instantly recognize that photo.

Hoop-Leif likes this.
  7. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

8. durbar2003

I think that girls has a Bush as well!

9. Hoop-Leif

Checking up on restaurants in different areas.......jeez some of these sound good......making me bloody hungry now though!

10. durbar2003

There only thing I would say is coming from a big city like London or New York San Fran is surprising small so look at things to do outside of the area as well. !0 days is a long time eating (or maybe not).

Hoop-Leif likes this.

11. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

I was there 25 years ago, it had a great live music scene for evening entertainment - a little bit of research could help you unearth a couple of gems. Not seen it mentioned yet, but you have to do the tram ride, and visit Haight-Ashbury and see all the old hippies hanging out. I toured the coast from Tijuana to SF, then inland to Yosemite, Grand Canyon and Vegas, before heading back to LA.

I remember there being plenty to do along the coast between SF and LA, and if you've got a car, the roads are pretty good. I enjoyed Alcatraz - if you're into photography you can get some very atmospheric pictures with the right filters.

If you do go to Yosemite prepare for some amazing scenary and pop in to the Ansel Adams gallery for some stunning photography - think it's quite close to the visitor centre.

Monterey and Big Sur are also places worth a visit.

Hoop-Leif likes this.
  12. loomo

loomo Active Member

Lol I do he said that must be worth a dollar. I said your lucky I don't knock you out. Have to say one beggar cracked me up, I left a bar on fisherman so wharf and I'd had a few and this bloke was outside with a sign that read I DONT HAVE KIDS IM NOT HUNGRY IM NOT HOMELESS I JUST WANT A DRINK!! Got 5 dollars from me

kiwiqpr likes this.
  13. Hoop-Leif

Last year in Ny I saw a young-ish street person holding a sign that said 'FU#K YOU!! GIVE ME MONEY!'.

Got naff all from me

durbar2003 likes this.
  14. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

I'm heading for San Francisco at the moment, currently on the Panama Canal which is an experience in itself. We're in the Miraflores Lock as I write descending towards the last section. We'll be heading to Mexico then San Diego, LA and finish in Frisco. I'll catch up with you at the end of the trip and see if there's anything I can add to the helpful advice others have given. Always enjoy helicopter rides so that will be on my list...

rangercol, Kilburn, Hoop-Leif and 5 others like this.
  15. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

Enjoy your trip Sooper. I was wondering why you hadn't been on in a while. Safe travelling.

Sooperhoop likes this.
  16. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

If you have time Grand Canyon is one of the most amazing places on Earth. Take a trip down it at one of the more remote places with a tent if your legs and heart are good. And see it at dawn. I was in SF twice in the 70's, lots to do there and one of the few unique cities in the US.

Enjoy your trip.

Hoop-Leif likes this.
  17. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Having just got back after spending 4 days in SF I can say you should have a great time in the city. We were fortunate that we found a 'window' in the bad weather they've had on the west coast this month, floods and storms throughout January have been very unusual for them but the four days we spent there were cloudless which makes such a difference.

I actually think 10 days might just be about right to enjoy all the best places to visit. Buy a 7 day 'passport' and you can use all local buses, street cars and cable cars. I'd recommend you buy a 'Big Bus' tour on your first full day, it's a 24 hour hop-on, hop-off tour with 21 stops at all the major city attractions and is good for spending a short time at some places you wouldn't want to waste too much time visiting as a one-off, then just get the next bus to continue the route around town. It will also help you get your barings in town which is quite easy as it's a similar grid pattern to New York.

As others have mentioned there are all the well-known attractions worth visiting so I'll just add a few that I found worth seeing. We stayed in the Union Square area and at the top of our hotel, the Hilton O'Farrell St on the 46th floor of Tower 1 is the Cityscape Bar. It has a raised bar in the centre and steps lead down to the panoramic windows with seats all the way round giving virtually a 360 degree view of the city. It is open from 5.00pm - midnight and if you time your arrival about half an hour before sunset you see the skyscape change from day to night for one of the best views you'll see in town.

Close by are a couple of excellent restaurants. If you like steaks then John's Grill at 63 Ellis is worth a visit, over 100 years old it's a proper old style steakhouse on three floors and was packed out, the food was top-notch. If you like Indian food then the New Delhi restaurant at 160 Ellis is rated one of the best in the USA, I tried some of the house specialities and they were amazing.

We were fortunate to sail into SF under the Golden Gate and the views in the Bay area are breathtaking. So many different perspectives from the water so I'd strongly recommend a boat trip around the bay. Anyway, I'm sure you are already getting a feel for the place and have a good idea of what you want to fit in. Just be careful, it is an expensive place and it is easy to spend more than you bargain for. I'll just add a few few links to useful sites. The Bay City Guide is a booklet that is available in most hotel foyers and has many offers within, you can download an app which may prove useful. Have fun...

http://baycityguide.com/

http://sfhelicopters.com/

http://www.sftodo.com/boats.html

http://www.cityscapesf.com/

Hoop-Leif, QPR999 and finglasqpr like this.
  18. YappyR

YappyR Well-Known Member

Nice one, mate, sounds like you had a grand time.
    Got any pics? Links to you pics?

Cheers :emoticon-0148-yes:

19. Hoop-Leif

Cheers for the insight and recommendations sooperhoop.

Will definitely check out those restaurants you mention and will look at the links too.

Staying at the Stanford Court in Nob Hill.....are non-hotel-guests allowed up to the tower restaurant you mentioned in your hotel?

We are booked onto the catamarran trip around the bay which should be cool.

Is the main expense food and drink?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    finglasqpr likes this.
  20. durbar2003

My wife is there and Sacramento for a business trip at the beginning of March. I wil let you know if she recommends anything you haven't been told of before.

Hoop-Leif likes this.