1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Salcido out, Konchesky in (maybe)

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by dempsey's revenge, May 18, 2011.

1. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

That's what the Daily Mail is saying,

Fulham defender Carlos Salcido looks set to join Monterrey after promising his family he will go home to Mexico this summer.

The World Cup star, 31, joined less than a year ago in a £1.6million move from PSV. Fulham are considering a return for Paul Konchesky.​

If true, I welcome the news. Salcido wasn't a complete flop, but at 31 and with the pace of a slug, I don't think he was cut out for the job. Konchesky isn't great, but he's certainly better than Salcido. If Fulham doesn't or can't get Konchesky back, my hopes is they'll move for Nick Shorey.

2. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Konch is 30, as is Shorey. We need to rejuvinate a relatively old team, so I don't think either of them are the answer.

I've enthused before about Rhoys Wiggins, a 23 year old left-back currently looking to move on and up from Bournemouth. He's the type of signing we should be looking at. Not necessarily him, but someone with the potential to hold down a first team place for five to ten years with us, or be sold on at a healthy profit in a couple of years (preferably the former).

3. dempsey's revenge

We have pace problems at both left and right full back, as Liverpool so vividly pointed out. I hope MH sees the same problem and makes that his priority this summer. Konchesky - he's not perfect, but he still has pace. But certainly, talented younger players at those positions would be nice.

4. fulhamish1977

fulhamish1977 Member

A cut-price deal for Konch would be a good move. I know he's just turned 30, but we've got Matthew Briggs coming through and looking promising. We know what we're getting with Konch, so he's a good short-term option while Briggs continues to develop. As others have said, the Europa League means that players like Briggs, Marsh-Brown, and one or two others can get some first-team experience next year.

As for Salcido: I agree with DR. He's not been a complete disaster. He's generally been fine against lesser opposition (West Ham excepted), but tended to get exposed when under pressure against better sides.

5. RobespierreFFC

If we get rid of salcido, an idea which I would and I think a number of others on this board would overwhelmingly support, then really all we need is a stop gap replacement until briggs is ready to come in. For this I would take someone like konchesky, although we don't know whether his disastrous time at liverpool will have significantly affected his confidence. If not next year, I imagine briggs will be ready to be our regular left back in the 2012-13 season, so its about finding someone who can step in till then. What does everyone think about the idea of splashing on a top right back for this year, and to relocate baird to left back until briggs is ready. None of us can be sure how fast briggs is developing so it could be sometime next season when he makes left back his own, but we have seen this season that baird is capable cover virtually anywhere in defence.

6. rocky57

rocky57 Member

Is a return to Konch the best we can hope for as a left back?

As for Salcido, cheerio.

7. valjing

valjing Member

Me go for Konch,and hope that within a year,Sanchez,if still with us makes it into the 1st team.

8. dempsey's revenge

I was just going to suggest Wayne Bridge, who's over at WH, but he's 31. Left backs are always in short supply. I don't know what the big deal is; I can easily kick over a water bottle with my left.

9. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

I think the emphasis on a fullback has changed alot, in that today they are wing-backs.
    Their defensive qualities are less then when teams played with a solid back 4, now defensive mid-fielders give protection to counter attacks.
    I don't think Salcido has settled into the Premier style yet, but I do like that he seems to be able to control the ball with both feet but needs to be more consistant in his crosses and passing, with tackling not his best asset.
    I think in Dutch football he had more time on the ball and they build up more slowly, so with some players it takes time to adjust, but there are reports his family want to go back to Mexico.
    A few names as replacement Iziguierre at Celtic SPL Player of the Year, Figueroua of Wigan,

10. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I still see Briggs as being, long term, a future regular at centre back rather than at left back. That's not to say he can't do a job there, but I don't think it's going to be his ultimate place in the team. Much as we have all come to love Chris Baird, he's not the perfect solution at right back, and even less so at left back. He's been more consistent than Salcido this season (and last), but he will always be prone to having an occasional nightmare against fast, skillful opposing wingers. If we're losing Salcido, Pantsil and possibly Kelly we will need other senior alternatives.

I'll be disappointed if we don't sign two full backs (one for each flank) this summer, even if some or all of the likes of Marquez-Sanchez, Smith and Marsh-Brown are ready to compete for the first team shirts.

11. Gillyffc

Gillyffc Member

Never rated konchesky, but Salcido out is fantastic. Not sure about Shorey- we had him on loan a bit ago and didn't think much of him. i think we need to look for a younger player there- Briggs will come good and i've heard wonders of this Sanchez guy in the acaemy, but we need a more experienced player for a coupleof seasons, for Briggs to step up to the full 1sts mark and for Sanchez to become accustomed to the preimer League.

12. fulhamish1977

fulhamish1977 Member

I don't have the same problem with Baird at right-back as others do. Every full-back's going to have games where they're second best to a winger in unplayable form. Baird's not as dangerous as others in his position going forward, but his distribution has improved in my opinion. On the other hand, he shouldn't be our only option and with Pants leaving we'll need cover. I like the idea of Figueroua as an alternative to Konch at left back - no doubt he'll be available if Wigan do get relegated. We have the best defensive record outside of the top four this season. If it wasn't for the Man City & Liverpool debacles we'd have the joint best in the league. Salcido aside, I don't think too much needs changing at the back.

13. rocky57

rocky57 Member

Well there's Salcido for a start! Like you though, I think Baird's been ok. There again I liked Pantsil.

14. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Konch is not going to cost much at all so he is worth you buying him even if it's as cover.

15. Gillyffc

Gillyffc Member

he would be good cover- but we currently have no one for him to cover! I feel that needs to be addressed first

16. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

we've got to bring the younger guys through now. Look at the 2 youngsters at Liverpool. That have come on really well. What's the point of having a youth system?
    Rocky, shouldn't that be adios Carlos?

17. rocky57

rocky57 Member

Ooh you're sharp today my son.

18. GeraScores

GeraScores Well-Known Member

Salcido has utterly failed in the Premier League. We are in a competitive market where others are also looking for players, so I'd take back Koncheski. As Fulhamish says, he is a known quality, and with Briggs coming through, it would be ok.

19. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Whilst I do not share the wave of hate against Salcido in the past few months, I would certainly not be too upset about bringing the Konch back. Salcido has fragile confidence, presumably the result of not enjoying English football. Konch is experienced and we know exactly what he can do.

However the same situation exists as with signing Gudjohnsen to replace Kamara or EJ - replacing Salcido with Konch should not distract from the fact we would still need a left back. Kelly and JP should/will leave, and that leads us with just Baird and Konch/Salcido. We need options at full back, desperately.

Briggs is a centre back, he always has been. He's a talented young player, but it's foolish to imagine he'll suddenly become anything more than passable at full back.

20. rocky57

rocky57 Member

"the wave of hate against Salcido"

That's completely misunderstanding the situation Surlyc. No one as far as I'm aware hates him, I have nothing against him personally. You make it seem as if the criticism has been irrational. I get to see him at quite close quarters for a half because of where I sit, and the plain fact is that he is really poor. Slow, excessively right-footed (at left back!), over committed to attack thus leaving the team exposed, poor positioning and anticipation. He's had a handful of decent games, that's all. It's not personal, why should anyone hate him? Salcido's just not up to the mark professionally, and remember the huge salaries these players get.