1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Saints vs Everton 27/11/2016 KO 4:30pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintsfcfan, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Saintharry13

Saintharry13 Well-Known Member

Watched the interview with the FLGDC on sky last night and if I was an Everton fan, I would be even more pissed after that.

He was ingracious, sulky and refused in any way to congratulate the worthy winners. The tactician was out thought, his team outplayed and both seriously found wanting.

I can't believe how much as a club we have all moved on from his tenure....we march on...

2. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Jamie Redknapp said if he had a choice of managing Saints or Everton, he'd go for Saints....because Everton need total rebuilding. :)

3. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

I said something similar a few days ago, about our set piece defending.
    The first half free kick, when Everton had an unmarked player at our back post, is becoming a fairly regular sight.
    I was just as shocked seeing Williams being marked at the back post, for a second half free kick, by little Cedric.
    As you say, hope it can be improved.

4. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

One of my hopes, before the game, was that our midfielders would make more forward runs, than of late.
    Well they certainly did that, and what a difference it made to our performance, as an attacking unit. So much better, and less predictable, than in recent weeks.
    I feel for JWP, and just wish he would find the back of the net on a regular basis. I agree with an earlier poster that the cross from Chaz, for "that" chance wasn't good enough. Far too strong.
    As has already been said, so many strong performances all over the pitch, but because of the occasion, and being his debut, Sims was MOTM for me. Wonderful display.

5. steve79

steve79 Well-Known Member

Best part of the game was sims doing two of evertons players.would like to see that again.think he messed up the pass after that tho but was still a great bit of pace shown

6. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

He fouled Cedric tbh

7. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

My take after 24 hours.

Nice game, well played.

That's it. I was too focussed on not heaving (stomach bug) really to notice the finer aspects of the match, but it all looked rather decent to me. Felt so sorry for Koeman. Poor chap.

Vin

ImpSaint likes this.
  8. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Yeah I thought it was delayed and then far harder than it should've been, think Charlie said as much post-match - something like 'I hit it too much like a shot'. Required fantastic technique/luck on his left or a very well timed and placed shot from his right as it came across him, which obviously he couldn't manage. Heard a load of 'just get it on target it's so simple for ****s sake's, and I'm sure he could've dug an effort into the centre of the goal, but he then would've been crucified for tamely finding Stekelenburg's hands. So it doesn't rank very highly in the lengthy highlight reel of painful missed chances for me.

I think he and Hojbjerg were excellent though and JWP has been much better this year at looking up and really driving passes, even if sideways it helps the tempo of our game hugely. Pierre I find a bit funny as I get a strange mix of calm experience beyond his years and a bit of naivety, but I think he could be very good. Definitely needs to progress a lot defensively though.

9. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

JWP had a great game, and drew a fantastic save from Stek at one point, but that cross from Charlie? Seen from Row FF of the Chapel, right above the goal, that was a perfect cross, perfect height, all Prowsey had to do was put his right foot out and connect. Awful miss, but it was the only thing he did wrong all afternoon.

Velcro Roy likes this.
  10. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

Just watched MOTD2 and I missed that run during the game- loved it, he did screw up the final pass which is strange as his strong point is his vision and his passing, think the lad was knackered after sprinting 80m. The one touch game before the goal was WOW, like watching Barcelona

11. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

Yes, I watched Prowsie's chance from the Chapel. The pass didn't seem too fast to me. It was almost as if JWP couldn't decide whether to turn his foot towards the corner or his whole leg. Doing both dragged it wide.

12. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Hope you're feeling better.

13. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Finally got around to Saints v Everton on MOTD2 this evening. Chappers, Keown and Sinclair could hardly have been more glowing in their praise, could they?
    As for Koeman, I think Keown hit the nail on the head. He simply lacked class in his reply, and deserved the criticism.

14. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

And we have battered a few as well.

15. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

Not perfect but better, thanks.

Vin

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  16. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Perfect height would've been easily stroked along the floor rather than swung at his shins from about 8 yards in my book - you must have much better technique than me! ;) Was much harder than just putting his foot out and connecting though, JWP was squared up to Charlie and standing still asking for it to feet to take a touch but it came across tight to his body running directly parallel with goal meaning he had to connect with it at a very oblique angle, which he obviously was not up to. Think Charlie copping to not doing JWP any favours without even being prompted on the incident speaks to something... Maybe he's just a good teammate!

17. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Good team mate, definitely.

18. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

One of the things I like most about Austin is that he seems to make a point of speaking to and encouraging the younger players. He definitely seems to care about his team mates and want to encourage the kids.

19. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

That is often the case with players who have worked their way up.

20. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

Agree about JWP,v.good game but that chance once again shows where you are sat,I was almost behind Charlie and I shouted ffs why the hell did you smash it that hard for Charlie.still a miss but a **** pass.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.