1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Saints v Crystal Palace 7:45pm Wednesday 5th April

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Onionman, Apr 3, 2017.

1. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Yes, that does make a change. All they said that he could be part of the England setup for a very long time.

2. TheSecondStain

Well, tbf Ian said it wouldn't either. But certainly it's a bet-my-house type certainty.

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  3. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Hey, an episode of Matchday Uncovered that we can actually watch. :)

4. TheSecondStain

Aww, they didn't uncover much. Only just over a minute long. Best bit was VVD being tall enough to twiddle with the overhead camera, and behind him Cuco thinking that he's a modern day Crocodile Dundee. Oh, and Maya's match winning slaps.

5. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

6. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

On the way back from the game last night, Onionman Jr and I tried to work out who was our worst performer. Our verdict was that there probably wasn't one. And that Puel ran the game from start to finish.

I don't want to turn into a one trick pony but Nathan Redmond really is blossoming match-by-match. He was nearly unplayable last night. His acceleration, ball control and final ball are all sublime. Long may it continue.

However, and there had to be a "however", some of the fans around me were pathetic. Seconds before our first goal they were all over the team for not hoofing it forward. Any hope that they'd learned their mistake was dispelled by the same shouts in the second half. Their abuse of Fraser is beyond parody. Just before he made his killer save from their free-kick he noticed who was going to take it and changed sides of the goal to be prepared better. Then he pulled off a blinder. And what did he get from the potato-headed loons? Abuse for moving. As I LOUDLY shouted "What do you f***ing want, he saved it!" I realised it could end badly but they just went quiet. Genuinely, genuinely, they seem to go there to be angry at everything and everyone. What's the point? All they do is drag my mood down to the point when I get just as angry with them...

And on that subject, no names, no pack drill, but could we please have a little perspective on here? After they scored, there were posters on here relegating us. I've said this before but I am really glad our players don't have that attitude.

Vin

7. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

You must have watched the highlights...full version about 10 min+. Maya was very happy.....suppose his goal had rarity value. Pleased for him. Nice to see the players greeting Sammy Lee...I miss him, he was fun.

8. TheSecondStain

I clicked on the 'full version' link. Must admit, I thought it was absurdly short, and that 'something might be up'. :)

Cheers, I'll go and look for the full version.

9. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Nah, the best bit was seeing the giant Fraser Forster giving a man hug to little Sammy Lee

Qwerty likes this.
  10. TheSecondStain

That wasn't in the minute long version as far as I can remember. Anyway, I've seen the 10 minute version now.

11. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

It is quite clear to me that people watch the game in different ways and interpret differently what is happening on the pitch. I think it is true to say that people who have played the game see it very differently to the idle, overweight ****ing moron who has never kicked a ball in his life but sits and repeats the crap he has heard on the telly when talking about the game. The one thing I have learned about Sotonians since I have lived in the City is that many are so negative and uncaring of the City and ignorant of its past. How else can you explain the fact that many are moaning, litter scattering, loud mouth, uncouth morons who don't appreciate what a fine city they live in.

PS You can see that I am in a generous, warm hearted and caring mood today.

12. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

Straight from the horse's mouth: Oriol enjoyed last night's game and isn't at all looking forward to two weeks off.

He was before me at the dentist this evening...

Vin

13. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

I am becoming more and more impressed with the style of football we are now playing.
    We are, at times, cutting through teams with ease, with just (since Gabbi's injury) the goals lacking.
    First half yesterday, I felt our crosses weren't good enough, but second half they were superb. Mainly, I believe, because in the second half many of our crosses were being played in from inside, or on the edge of the box, rather than from the touch line, making them more difficult to cut out.
    I am looking forward to seeing what type of player Puel brings in, during the summer, with an expectation that a couple will be in the mould of Tadic and Redmond.

14. TheSecondStain

Nice name drop. Must admit my initial thought was that they'd sprung another international break on us. Think I'd rather that than him having a suspension. Such a good player.

15. TheSecondStain

The style we play isn't hugely different from when Puel got his feet properly under the table. Difference is that occasionally we know how to score even without in-form strikers, and Puel isn't having to rotate players because we are no longer competing in various competitions, so they're a bit more settled.

Dare I say it, but there's a touch of the Wenger Arsenal about us. The good bits. :bandit:

16. Libby

Libby 9-0

I'll bite... it is a bit of a ****hole though <ok>

17. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

Just watched MotD - who was captain last night? I assumed that it was Davis but in the huddle before the start it's JWP doing the talking. Wonder if it's because they can all understand him... ;) So nice to hear Saints and a Saints player being praise without any mention of, "after selling players year on year," or "he'll probably be off to a top 4 club in the summer." How refreshing!

18. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Thanks Vin - exactly the way I feel about the morons who just shout at a player for putting his foot on it, looking up, seeing that there's no free player, then playing a ball sideways to a player better placed to see gaps and moving into space. The moronic cries of "get it forward" are really beginning to get to me, as are the calls of "oh no, he's missed again, he's ****ing useless" aimed at Long. They don't remember the days when Mane went missing and how the crowd got on his back almost killing his confidence. If Shane had had one ounce of luck last night and got one in, they would have been cheering him. I really don't understand these so called fans. They should go and support the Arsenal - seems their fans are happier moaning than clapping .....

Onionman likes this.
  19. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

That was the second worst extraction of his day.

20. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

*Qwerty feeling obliged to offer dentistry related gag*

Qwerty likes this.