1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Saints transfer rumour thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by lamby, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

OK not sure we can compete with the Saint Gaston thread in the summer but I thought it was time to start discussing our January targets and inventing highly unlikely rumours!Our stated aim is to bring our youngsters through so if we are to ncontinue to use the likes of JWP, Reeves, Shaw etc I can't see Nigel bringing in more than two or possibly three players.Clearly our priority has to be the defence but what else if anything do we need and any suggestions who they should be?Dawson has been widely touted but Im not convinced. That said I think any CB we do buy has to be tried and tested at the top level.Over to you.

So far we have

Michael Dawson-Downthe36
    Nicolai Boilesen-Jose Fonte baby
    Brad Friedel-Lamballana
    Matthew Phillips-Dark Lord SFC
    Jermaine Lens-FlyWithFonte
    Paul Robinson-Lamballana
    Gomes-Lamballana
    Abdul Kader Keita-Lamballana
    Matt Besler-Benditlikeabanana
    Scott Dann-Qwerty
    Gary Hooper-Doing The Lambert Walk
    Carlos Sanchez-Hot Bovril
    Simon Thorup Kjaer-Lamballana
    Harry Forrester-Lamballana
    Tom Ince-Lamballana
    Shane Lowry-Doing The Lambert Walk
    Will Buckley-Doing The Lambert Walk
    Jack Butland-Lamballana
    Davide Astori-Saintsmagic
    Nahki Wells-SFC4BAG
    Steve Gohouri-Doing The Lambert Walk
    Wellington Nem-SFCJordi
    Mboyo-MorgansBitOnTheSchneid
    Jason Steele-MorgansBitOnTheSchneid
    Joel Ob-Come Back Papa

2. Andoversaint

Andoversaint Active Member

3. lamby

Agreed but who the hell do we buy?

4. rabbitspectrum

don't think we need any new players in to stay up, but I doubt anyone at the club wants to take that risk. I would like to see no transfers in and wait until the Summer transfer period to get our number 1 targets as unless we are well clear of the relegation zone our number 1 targets will be reluctant to come. We could do with a CB and left back but I genuinely think Fox, Richardson and Hooiveld as back up are adequate.

5. lamby

Agree up to a point Rabbit but we are very light at CB. If Jose or Maya get red carded or pick up a bad injury we only have Jos and youg Jack as back up!

6. rabbitspectrum

Another Centre back on loan or a free would be good but not a billy sharp only good for half a season signing. If we could get Our first preference at centre back in January that would be fantastic but I doubt any decent players would be willing to move to a side threatened with relegation. Can't think of many good centre backs that would be willing to move to saints perhaps like you say michael dawson, but I haven't seen enough of him to know.

7. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

There won't be any major purchases because who is available that we would want long term...but a loan of an experienced PL centre back on the fringe of a big club would do nicely, especially if he wants a permanent move so has an interest in performing well and keeping Saints in the Premier league. Such stuff are dreams made of.

8. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

One way round the "No decent CB will sign if we are likely to get relegated" problem is simple: offer them a contract with a set (realistic) release fee that is triggered if we go down. Remember that any decent CB with the right level of experience (ie, someone like a Dawson) would come with massive wages and we wouldn't want them in the Championship IF we go down, as much as they wouldn't want to be with us.

I also think we need to be prepared for a nauseating 6 weeks when any Premier League CB seen not smiling at his current training ground is going to be linked to Saints.

9. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

How long before the Scott Dann rumour starts again......then again could he do a job for us?

10. fran-MLs little camera

Has anyone noticed that we rarely guess correctly?

11. fatletiss

That's not fair Fran. DTLW guessed that we were about to announce a big signing any day now, tomorrow, the day after, this week, this month, er... um ... soon!

12. fran-MLs little camera

Point taken<laugh>

13. saintkitch

saintkitch Well-Known Member

I would say that as people on here seem to be of the mind that if we get relegated it doesn't matter then all we ahould do in jan is sell players as spending another 10-20 million and then getting relegated would be a complete disaster. So in jan we should sell all the players we bought and settle for failure.

14. Downthe36

Downthe36 Well-Known Member

Dawson on a loan, with an option to buy at the end of the season if we stay up would be a good bit of business.

15. pass the football

pass the football Well-Known Member

Yes, I think spurs will have cash offers from other teams though so would be difficult.

What a worthwhile post, nice one.

16. fran-MLs little camera

Dawson is still playing for Spurs...why do people think he is available? Genuine question.

17. crusti

crusti Active Member

Forget experienced defenders, get Jaidi and Dodd training with the lads, passing on their experience.
    Dawson could be a good buy at the right price, he has got 3 or 4 years left in him.
    I would think that we should only sign someone with much more class than we have already got, no point in keep chopping and changing line-ups.

18. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Lb and two Cbs at least, our defence is no way Prem worthy and has let us down time and time again. I would say maybe a Keeper as well, as for Dawson he is only playing a sub role. Caulker and Gallas are Spurs first choice center backs so who knows

19. pass the football

pass the football Well-Known Member

AVB said he was available in the summer, and he's only played a total of 15 premier league minutes this season.

20. fatletiss

Sometimes Kitch you can be a complete WUM. Why oh why go to the extreme? No-one has settled for failure, we have discussed what it means and what it does for the club and will it be that bad. No-one has given up; I still go to every home game and sing my heart out for the team.

You just highlight yourself as an uncreditworthy poster with things like this, which is a shame as you do post some good opinons (even some that I do't agree with).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.