1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Saints Not606 Music Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saints_Alive, Jun 13, 2017.

?

Do you want a stickied music thread ?

Poll closed Jun 16, 2017.
  1. YES

21 vote(s)
    72.4%
  2. NO

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. DON'T CARE

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Due to contractual issues, George wasn't allowed to appear on a Cream recording as it was on a separate label. So he did the guitar bit on "Badge" as a thank you to his mate Eric (who then nicked his missus off him :emoticon-0102-bigsm) for doing the solo on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". He was credited on the recording as "L'Angelo Mysterioso", I believe

2. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

That was the rumour going round at the time, and the jangly guitar break definitely sounds more like him than anything Clapton ever did, so I guess it must be true!

3. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Shout out to LTL for recommending Parcels. I downloaded their ep Hideout and it made for a very enjoyable commute in the sunshine
    I've just been catching up on this thread over the last few days.

Parcels reminded me quite a bit of Jungle and also Jamie Woon, who has struggled for commercial success so far in his career

4. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Here are one of the most underrated Post Punk bands of the 80s, The Cure, Joy Division/New Order, Echo and the Bunnymen and Siouxie and the Banshees were getting all the plaudits but The Chameleons were every bit as good and were very musical as this acoustic version of Tears proves...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  5. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

Whenever I see or hear those words I have to shout about Prince's solo in the tribute. One of the most thoroughly rude performances of all time!

6. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Previously when people asked me what my favourite song, is I could never answer because there are so many songs I like... but I now have a clear top three.

Two of which are from mainstream artists (albeit are album tracks rather than singles), so I'll post the less mainstream one.

[video]

I love this song because it speaks to me and it's one I can relate to. The beginning of the song starts with "I could move to a small town and become a waitress, say my name was Stacey and I was figuring things out" and the whole... being lost situation and not knowing what to do with life or where to go... It was something I could relate to. Then of course there's the chorus, which kind of supports this about how "It's a long, twisted road we are on, and we all have to walk it alone". But at the end of the song, there is some kind of resolution and the final lyric is "And I'd never be lost anymore" which kind of always gives a feeling of hope, like perhaps one day I to will no longer be lost and there is light at the end of the tunnel... Maybe.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  7. Saints_Alive

Love First Aid Kit, Lapras, I've already posted this, but make no apologies for posting it again...the song and video move me emotionally...

davecg69 likes this.
  8. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

I've not heard this one before. I haven't listened to this duo for ages, but will put them back on the playlist.

I was obsessed with this song around the time it was released. Absence made the heart grow fonder
    Simple music and sweet harmony

9. Jos Say No

Jos Say No Well-Known Member

They're an excellent duo. Not sure if I'd said before but I have a personalised signed copy of their first album The Big Black and The Blue (second really but I guess Drunken Trees was technically an EP) from them playing at Goblets.

My friend had introduced me to them after discovering them through The Knife, with the below being one of my favourite songs of theirs.

Saints_Alive and saintlyhero like this.
  10. HarryTipper

HarryTipper Well-Known Member

RIP Chester. Never been a huge fan but it's hard to argue with the impact of Linkin Park over the last 15 years. Such a shame depression has another victim.

Saints_Alive likes this.

11. SaintLapras

Cedar Lane is okay. I also like Stay Gold and My Silver Lining (which you may recognise from a certain car advert).I hadn't heard Ghost Town before but it sounds nice.

I'm currently obsessing over this atm:

Saints_Alive likes this.
  12. Saints_Alive

Happy Birthday to Yusuf Islam aka Cat Stevens, who is 69 today. As well as writing some evergreen classic songs he is a recognised Humanitarian for his work in promoting peace...

TheSecondStain likes this.
  13. Saints_Alive

14. Saints_Alive

15. Saints_Alive

16. Saints_Alive

17. SaintLapras

The first cut is the deepest is a great song, though I've had so many versions of it. Is that the original? I like the Sheryl Crowe version too.

Also, if anyone's seen Guardians of the Galaxy 2, the bit at the end with the Cat Stevens version of Father and Son playing during Yandu's funeral with all of the ships and all of the fireworks is quite a touching scene

In other news, I've discovered a good song in my Discover Weekly playlist on Spotify. Jo-Anna Says by Per Gessle (apparently one half of Roxette) which sounds quite Beatles-esque. I like it.

davecg69 likes this.
  18. Saints_Alive

Yep, he wrote all of the songs and many, many more besides, probably would've written more if he hadn't "retired" for his humanitarian work for some years.

19. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

This is one of my favourites from Cat Stevens:

Saints_Alive likes this.
  20. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member