1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Saints in takeover talks with Chinese group

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Nov 2, 2016.

1. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

The big part for me is that she could if she wants to, but then I wouldn't expect her to stick around. She's entitled to sell to who she wants to, however I don't see her staying around for 20% if it's "dodgy"

There is also the small matter of her and her advisors (probably her father's team) having run, bought and sold lots of businesses. They may just have some expertise in this.

2. fatletiss

Is it fact that they've struggled to raise the funds?

3. Libby

Libby 9-0

On the first paragraph that most certainly does make it sense, don't we still owe her too? So could be keeping that as to pay that off while she doesn't have a controll9ing stake.

On the second paragraph, I've said before on this matter that I expect her diligence to be more thorough than the so called fit & proper test from PL.

4. Libby

Libby 9-0

No it's not.

Which is why I've been careful to say that it looks like it on the surface of it from the - admittedly little - information we have.

5. fatletiss

That was a genuine question from me as I haven't read all the external articles. I am also just looking at human nature. It is natural to worry but it only takes a few comments or assumptions for the fire to run wild.

As you said. We have to sit and wait.

I'm excited.

6. Libby

Libby 9-0

Agree, that's why I'm trying to not get carried away and stay reasonable with my assessments, and why I'm being careful with how I phrase things - or trying to be at least <laugh>

I was discussing this with a Leicester fan the other day and I think the phrase I used was 'cautiously excited', could be the thing really pushes us on, could undo a lot of the hard work done in recent years.

No matter what, as long as the club exists, I'll be here/there.

7. fatletiss

I've read so far a few people questioning future investment. It may be that we won't see huge investment, maybe something similar to what we have had (which has been good). There may be a plan to access the huge Chinese market in terms of commercial revenue; something we need.

Just a positive view :)

8. Libby

Libby 9-0

That's something that's crossed my mind too, and could be a win/win for both parties. We got more interest over there, and their brand gets out worldwide due to PL.

I've been saying for seasons now that commercial interest is where we really need to make up ground with the clubs in the tier above us such as your Newcastles/Evertons etc.

9. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

So the next stage of our development will be financed by the sale of Saints shirts in Beijing? And as we all know, the shirts will be made in China in the first place. Genius.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  10. Libby

Libby 9-0

No the next stage is to win a trophy for those shirts to sell over there :biggrin:

11. Archers Road

EFL Cup Winners 2017 would have made for quite a nice range of merchandise <wah>

12. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

And that debt has been a major source of angst. They had to refinance it twice, were paying an extreme interest rate at one point (in excess of 16% p/a, and issued bonds to attempt to get out from the crushing debt load. In the end, they floated a large number of shares to raise funds. Over the past decade, they have paid an unholy sum of money to the hedge funds that made their purchase possible, and they still owe about 500m.

I think her only concern in a sale is to get the most money possible for it. Regarding her continued involvement, as I suggested above, it may well be to ensure she has a seat at the table and consequently can get the most money possible for it.

It's kinda fun seeing the suddenly laissez-faire attitude to debt after years of hand-wringing that we had to sell players to keep our debt down. Our net debt is something like 25% of our turnover; if this sale goes through it will be about 100% of our annual turnover. Possibly higher, depending on what gets paid off in the sale.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  13. Libby

Libby 9-0

Mate don't <wah>

Was bad enough watching the game yesterday :(

14. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

It's motivation that I am unclear about. I know Markus' reason....we were a bargain and a project...invest money and there was a lot to be made (enjoying owning a football club was a welcome spin off from that). We are not such a bargain now, so presumably they can see further potential. Man United were loaded with debt, but their vast earnings can finance it...our position is a bit more precarious than that. On the positive side (if it goes ahead and if it is financed by loans), Lander must envisage our financial position improving enough to accommodate the debt. The debt is similar to us taking out a mortgage....not a problem if you keep paying.

fatletiss likes this.
  15. fatletiss

I think your comment about my attitude to debt is a little out of order Schad. I was simply making the point that debt is often there and can be a mis-used word. I am not be laissez-faire at all. I am just trying to temper the, so far, negative views to the potential take over. You haven't seen me hand-wringing over player sales ever, so please don't try and cast mud over me. You can say that wasn't about me, but it was in reply to my post, so looks that way.

All I am saying is that we shouldn't get into a negative spiral just yet.

On Liebherr, I think you are bang wrong on only wanting the most money. Yes she wants as good as she can get but clearly there is a caveat there that it needs to be right for the club. If not, we'd have been sold to the first charaltan who came along.

16. Archers Road

:cry: Hurts, doesn't it?

Just renewed my passport as well.

17. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

We may have been sold to the first charlatans that met her asking price. With the increased PL revenues, she timed it well to maximize that.

18. fatletiss

Yes we may, but let's not look at everything negatively. We may not.

I just wish people could balance views.

19. Libby

Libby 9-0

Never mind, convinced I've not seen the end of us in Europe.

I need to do my passport soon too. Still got 2 years left but the page is starting to come away, the machines at the airports didn't like it for Milan, so plan on doing it again before I go abroad.

Archers Road likes this.
  20. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

I'm not exactly sure what we should be balancing it against. Nothing that has come out thus far speaks particularly well of the new ownership, nor suggests that KL has been operating with anyone but her own interests at the front of her mind. Which, fair enough; she's a businessperson making a business decision.