1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Saint Manolo! - Official

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintsfcfan, Jan 16, 2017.

1. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Good question and I don't know the answer.

I assume in the rich world of the premier league that the finance of a purchase is not linked with the commodity of a player.

For example car finance is structured with car as collateral for the loan and full ownership is not transferred until the finance is paid in full. So if you want to sell the car before the end of the term you have to settle the finance.
    Alternatively on smaller items such as sofas or TVs where you can spread the cost then the finance is not linked to the product and if you resale that product you're under no obligation to notify them or settle those repayments early.

Sorry if those examples are teaching some of you to suck eggs. :emoticon-0100-smile

2. Mr_Saintly

Mr_Saintly Well-Known Member

Clubs will still owe us transfer fees, but equally we won't pay whole fees up front either.

3. SotonOldBoy

SotonOldBoy Well-Known Member

I have to assume we made the offer of 16 million before we sold Fonte and just received about 8 million for him so take the 16 million and 8 million and there you go, sign him up. But if doing this deal would result in us playing in Div 2 in the next few years, we should hold off.

4. MorgansBitOnTheSchneid

MorgansBitOnTheSchneid Well-Known Member

He's on the bench tonight for Napoli.

5. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Yep and they are 2-0 up away to Milan after 10 mins

6. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

Damn Les is old. He's nearly as old as Yoda. :emoticon-0142-happy

7. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Done on purpose to emphasise the point..... it was sooooooooooo long ago, who cares?

8. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

Not me. Just because someone is not any good at one job doesn't mean they are rubbish at everything. He's not manager, he's Executive Director of Football, so it's not really relevant as it's a completely different job.

9. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

This has been one of the underrated aspects of our post-Cortese switch in tack, for what it's worth: In 2013, we owed 21.2m more in transfer fees than we were owed; by 2015, we were owed 11.5m more than we owed. Chances are that the gap is even larger now (though as we haven't released our 2016 books yet, it's hard to say). So, our net debt from 2013-2015 increased by 28.4m, but our future fees (which don't reflect in the debt figures until paid) swung by 32.7m in the other direction; if all of those fees were paid at the moment the transfer happened, our debt would actually be trending down.

10. NISaint

NISaint Well-Known Member

To sign him we are back out to 5/2 to from 2/1, not exactly a seismic shift and probably just because he was in the squad tonight. Need to get a signing in to turn the mood around. A good win tomorrow, a signing before Wednesday and a minor miracle at Anfield and hey presto! Our season is back on track :1980_boogie_down:

Punktwatt and thereisonlyoneno7 like this.

11. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

12. fatletiss

My take on that was he prefers to play right of a front three. Napoli started with two up front which didn't suit him. They then switched to 3 up front but another player was favoured on the right. He was given his chance down the middle as the main striker but it didn't work... the article had earlier said his success was playing wide and cutting in. Maybe that is how we want to use him?

13. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

That's how I'd like to use him. Tadic or Boufal on the left (and maybe, if we're feeling frisky, a CM sacrificed to play one of them/Redmond in a pseudo-10 role), Gabbiadini being a wide forward on the right, hopefully with a bit more tempo. Both Jay and Long, in times past, have looked better as strikers when someone else was getting more attention from the defense as a goal threat.

fatletiss likes this.
  14. fatletiss

It's actually how we've had success over the last few seasons, barring Koemans brief stint with 3-5-2

15. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

And as it turns out, my other preference would be a 3-5-2, but we'd probably need another CB for that (Maya seemed to struggle with the role a bit, from what I remember).

16. fatletiss

I'd like to see McQueen in that left hand wing back role. He'd be pretty good I'd bet.

17. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Same. Think (beyond our CBs) we're better suited in many respects to that sort of setup. Three attackers more or less in the middle with one willing to drop back from a pure striker role, one interested in pushing forward from the number 10 spot, and one happy to run around in circles until chances occur while we get wide support sounds about our thing. I mean, we could have crosses with more than one person in the box!

craig222 and fatletiss like this.
  18. Mr_Saintly

Mr_Saintly Well-Known Member

Bertrand had an excellent few games at CB. Cedric, Maya, Virgil, Bertrand, McQueen could definitely work as a back 5. We'd certainly need another back up CB to play that though. Also I'm not sure 3 at the back is in Claude's repertoire.

19. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

His agent has come out saying that Napoli need to lower their asking price or the move will be off.

20. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

No doubt Napoli will believe we need to increase our offer or the move will be off

fatletiss likes this.