1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Safc beat off 10 premier league rivals to secure the leagues 8th all time highest scorer for Jozy

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by DAPARKERSAFC, Jan 13, 2015.

1. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

2. Home_and_Away

Home_and_Away Well-Known Member

Outrageous deal IF true!?
    Can't see Ellis putting that money into a 32 yr old.
    Right player for me.... Just 5 years too late!!

3. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

If we had those numbers to play with
    Id goall out for Danny Ings

4. Big Bad Wesley Brown

Big Bad Wesley Brown Well-Known Member

If The Sun told me the sky was blue I'd have a look outside just to check. Horrible rag of a paper.

Would be happy if this does turn out to be true though. It's a lot of cash, but nowhere near what the cost of relegation to the Championship would be, and that's where we're headed if we don't start scoring more goals.

Burnley would never let Ings go to a relegation rival, for the same reason I've pointed out above. It's better to have a goalscorer in the starting XI than a few million in the bank.

5. Mackem-Tiz

Mackem-Tiz Well-Known Member

Crock of ****. Never in a million years will we pay a 32 yr old 80k and give him 3 and a half year contract!..

6. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

In regards to these two rumors. I've read for Toronto to even sign Jozy they'd break MLS rules. Jozy has also been very public about his refusal to return to MLS.

Can't see us paying Defoe's wages. I gather we're very close to our wages threshold to meet ffp. This betting market is easily manipulated with a small amount of money and it's an 'exclusive' from the sun <laugh> You'll have to excuse my scepticism but they're both still a non-story's for me.

7. SC SAFC

SC SAFC Well-Known Member

Pray to jeebus that this aint true!! apart from the Jozy off part

8. safc1978

safc1978 Well-Known Member

Defoe is still a 10-20 goal a season forward. We NEED a goal scorer so why not.

9. SC SAFC

SC SAFC Well-Known Member

Doubt he will be in the NEVER to change Gus system mate. If true i could see Gus walking tbh

10. safc1978

safc1978 Well-Known Member

I just think if this is true getting jozy off the books for Defoe makes sense.
    GP needs to change his system and play 2 up front.

If we can get Defoe and a CB in this window I will be happy.

11. Daveunited

Daveunited Well-Known Member

12. Brian Storm

Well I'm very surprised. Either Gus will actually change his system or Defoe will be playing as an inside forward. If Gus plays him central in this system I think he's lost the plot.

13. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Surely if it's true then it's got to be a 442 of some description, we can't just play him on his own up there. It'd be interesting to see if he has any chemistry with Fletcher or Wickham.

14. Brian Storm

I'd be mortified. From a system that isn't working to a dead one? No thanks. I'd sooner see him wide of a front three in this one. But in all honestly I'd make sure the lad has an CAM or a Support Striker at least to fill that hole and to give him some close support if he's playing down the middle. Giacc and Alvarez will love his runs.

15. Brian Storm

Sunderland and Toronto FC have agreed to a deal to swap strikers, with Jozy Altidore heading to the MLS club and Jermain Defoe returning to the Premier League, sources confirmed to ESPN FC.

Sunderland will also send an unspecified amount of cash to Toronto and MLS as part of the deal. The money involved will be an amount between Altidore's perceived current value and the $10 million (US) that Sunderland paid to acquire him from Dutch club AZ Alkmaar in 2013, a source said.

Canadian news outlet TSN earlier reported a swap deal had been agreed, and called the amount of money Sunderland will include in the exchange "significant."

A year ago, Toronto and MLS reportedly paid Tottenham a transfer fee of nearly $10 million (US) for Defoe. The difference now is related to the recent performances of the two strikers -- Defoe has shown he can still be a trusted goal-scoring asset, while Altidore has not.

Altidore, 25, remains the first-choice striker for the United States national team despite a brutal time at Sunderland that saw him score only one Premier League goal in a year and a half at the Stadium of Light.

Meanwhile, Defoe scored 11 goals in 19 games in his sole season in MLS. Defoe played for England at the 2010 World Cup, but England manager Roy Hodgson did not select the 32-year-old for his squad in Brazil last summer.

Among MLS teams interested in landing Altidore, Toronto FC held an advantage because the Canadian club held a higher standing in the league's allocation ranking, sources told ESPN FC.

<party>

16. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

So are you saying you'd play him in the Johnson/Wickham role? I can't see that working out, a 32 year old Defoe wouldn't track back.

17. Brian Storm

No mate I'm saying play him in the middle with a central attacking midfielder behind him but Gus won't change the system. In our system I'd rather play him as an inside forward than isolate him in the middle with no support behind him.

Our inside forwards aren't supposed to track back, slow and not yet fit fullbacks have forced them to.

18. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I'd love to see that, I'm a big fan of intelligent striker(s) twinned with an attacking midfielder low on defensive duties.

19. Brian Storm

Me too fella. But I ain't holding my breath.

20. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

One thing only.he has to be better than jozy <bubbly>