1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rule Change

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by smhbcfc, Mar 21, 2017.

1. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

I want to see teams play football rather than just chuck it in the box - I hate it when we do it

2. smhbcfc

Can we fine players whose brightly coloured boots clash with their kit??

3. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

If you have a Delap it is not just chucked in the box, its a honed skill. The long throw is a plan B an aspect of football used by even the best - Bale and Madrid. If rules were put in place to limit % football crosses and corners are also ineffectual. City are an anomaly - Proficient at corners v stats. Bit more work needed on the throw ins ..

4. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

especially odd boots!

5. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good thread guys. <ok>

Stuck this thread up on our board as a result.

Posted this thread to discuss during this break in league proceedings - inspired by a decent similar thread about rule changes on the Wurzel board.

Not so much a rules of the game change but more in the league system. There should be an element of playoff introduced for relegation as well as promotion - it's very common in other European leagues and elsewhere in the world.

Just like the promotion playoff arrangement, it could be the bottom 2 automatically going down and the other 4 of the bottom 6 playoff - but this time to stay up. The two clubs winning the "semis" would retain their league status and the "final" would be sudden death to stay up. It would prove just as exciting and important to the supporters of each team involved.

With something to play for it would prolong the season interest for many bottom half clubs trying to stay out of that bottom 6 just as it does for the top half clubs aspiring to reach the promotion play offs. At the moment, all clubs are interested is climbing out of that bottom 3 aka the Swans and the Wurzels this season.

I dont' see why they should, but if the finals were too much for Wembly to cope with in May, then alternative venues could be arranged to host them.

smhbcfc likes this.
  6. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Hello OS

This has been done before to a degree before the Playoffs changed but my example was across 2 divisions.

One season around 25 years ago or so we were in what is now L1 and we relegated Sheffield United from what was the Championship by beating them 2-1 on aggregate (1-0 at home and drawing 1-1 away) in a Play Off.

We then played Walsall in either the Semi Final or the Final itself and lost after a replay. Walsall were promoted (in the David Kelly era I believe) and we stayed in L1.

But overall I like your idea too. It would make it more interesting certainly.

7. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Cheers AN16 - I think there's a lot of merit in it.

It would extend the meaningful season for a lot of clubs who can afford to switch off for the last half dozen games because they see themselves as "safe".

For instance in the Championship right now, teams like Brum, Ipswich and Wolves will feel some degree of comfort because of Rotherham and Wigan's perilous positions.

However with such a system in place, anyone in the bottom half - and that includes us - will be seriously looking over their shoulders to stay out of that bottom 6 and not just the bottom 3.

8. smhbcfc

Like the idea of a relegation play-off - maybe played at Old Trafford?

9. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

He would never cope, his head would explode

10. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

OH, I thought it already had! :emoticon-0102-bigsm