1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rule Change

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by smhbcfc, Mar 21, 2017.

1. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

Boring international break ....... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

So here's a question - if you had the power to make one rule change in football what would it be?

Let me start it off - my rule change would be to ban the long throw into the box - the ball must bounce from a throw in before it goes into the penalty area

banksyisourhero likes this.
  2. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

So what if a player is standing near the penalty area, heads the ball on / or flicks it on and another player heads it into the goal ..disallow the goal?

3. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Any player, other than the team captain, who gets in the referee's face will get a yellow card. I'm tired of seeing players contest every decision and harassing the official because it brings the authority of the referee in to question and needs to be stopped.

smhbcfc and manxrobin like this.
  4. invermeremike

I would also like to see players who deliberately invade the 10 yard exclusion zone on free kicks to be automatically booked for unsportsmanlike conduct. They are using it as a way of stopping quick free kicks as well as acting stupidly. You've seen them literally standing on the ball when they should have retreated 10 yards for the free kick.

5. Alandicksthegreat

Alandicksthegreat Well-Known Member

I would like to see the sin bin introduced into football, just like in Rugby, a yellow card means 10 mins in the sin bin, if a player gets a second yellow, they would still get a red card, and the normal ban, a straight red card will still be as normal.

smhbcfc likes this.
  6. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

I want to see something genuinely done about cheating and feigning injury. its only 20 years ago I was playing local football but it seems like a whole different world ago. I would have been embarrassed to dive around and feign injury like they do today.

My respect for Rugby grows as my distain for modern football increases.

(Good thread BTW..)

smhbcfc and Angelicnumber16 like this.
  7. invermeremike

It's all about the egotistical players today banksy and they rule the roost unfortunately. Big money brings more disrespect and to hell with the rules seems to be the order of the day. The ethics of the game are going down the toilet.

8. Red Hub

Red Hub Active Member

They cheat because they gain a competitive advantage. Where a player cheats or feigns injury they should be put in the sin bin like rugby, therefore removing any advantage gained.

9. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Good idea

10. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

100% requires back up off the pitch regards decisions that need double checking.
    Incorrect decisions like a player being sent or checking on a booking.Goal checking.
    Decisions cost a club points and potential millions of pounds.

11. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Make the fines for cheating/diving/feigning injury worthwhile
    Not a £10k slap on the wrist that most players probably carry as small change, but make it interesting and make an example of someone.
    Fine them £5m for bringing the game into disrepute, and lets see how quickly it disappears from our game.

smhbcfc likes this.
  12. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Not so much of a rule change but something that does wind me up too and could be implemented- Why do teams often wear their away kit when there is no reason to do so?
    Huddersfield were the latest example of this- Unless anyone can convince.me that Blue and White stripes clashes with Red, why did they need to play in yellow.? We are just as guilty, I recall us playing Blackburn away last year and we didn't wear Red.

Bit of an old traditionalist me, but I do like to watch a match with teams in their proper colours instead of Red v Yellow which is often the case

smhbcfc likes this.
  13. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

I was told it's something to do with sponsorship deals and rubbish like that.

14. wings-of-a-crow

wings-of-a-crow Well-Known Member

in favour of video replays for goal line and penalty decisions,otherwise existing rules are perfectly good just need to be administered properly by refs, i.e what happened to the rule change about not mobbing refs this season, seemed to go out of the window after a few games.

15. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Strange one. Out of interest why? Rory Delap's throw in was a highly developed skill. His release was lower than normal and highly technical.

Another strange one. There are rules regarding players having to wear shin pads, kit and the length of studs. I would introduce more regarding boots. Boots like the Mercurial (Nike) offer very little protection to the wearer, particularly exposing the achilles tendon. Players most at risk of injury are kids, and those most likely to buy these gimmicks? Kids.

How would you introduce double tiered rues for a game with universal laws?

And how would video technology be used to come to unequivocal decisions for rules that are subjective? Very few rules are based on fact.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  16. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Yes, I guess that does sound likely, no surprise really

17. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Pisses me off as well, exspecially when they have blue strips as home colours. How does blue ever clash with red?

18. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

give me yellow everytime if it is 4-0 to us!
    clubs rarely buy their own kit it is all supplied or sponsored by someone...

there was also a comment about boots and lack of protection, my first pairs of boots were leather, about the only non leather bit was the 3 foot long laces that went around the instep once and around the ankle about 2 or more times. STUDS WERE LEATHER ALSO, AND HAMMERED into the sole which was quite thick. The chore was putting dubbin on the boots after every game, and replacing the studs was an annoying pastime, in a season you would probably get to 1 at least every other game ...sometimes!
    few if any ankle or foot injuries due to ankle protection of the boot and it was well attached to the foot

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  19. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Different sport, but I did my Achilles in last September through running. Believe me, its not something that anyone would want. Couldn't walk for a couple of weeks and still get the odd niggle in it now from time to time.
    On most runs now, I have it taped up still. Oddly enough, recovery is assisted by stretching it, which makes it hurt as well as ultrasound. Several stretch routine on the stairs each day. Cant see kids going through that process willingly.

20. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

Limit Red Robin to only one whinge a day :angel::evil::emoticon-0140-rofl: