1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Rugby Union World Cup 2015 Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by sb_73, Jul 14, 2015.

1. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

England now back in it 6-10

I've just noticed that bloody BT Sport has the Aviva Prem games now, it was Leicester v Wasps this afternoon. Sky Sports prices went up this year. So we're getting less football and less rugby but paying more for the privilege.

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  2. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Have to confess I'm not getting the buzz I did from the Union. It's what you grow up with I suppose. What is a 'dummy half'?

3. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I thought it was the hooker. Just heard it mentioned in the move when Roby went down injured, it looks like any player can do the role when the hooker is tackled. The dummy half is the player behind the ball in the play the ball situation.

England well on top now.

4. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Nice to see Kiwi's not God like for once. The positions seem more notional than anything. Enjoying it, but though the Union scrum and line out can be a pain in the arse and haven for cheating, they do have a certain drama which I like. But the 6 set rule does ensure that risks are taken regularly in League. And the hits are big.

QPR999 likes this.
  5. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

The hits are huge, Burgess is a massive lump and you know you've been hit when he tackles you.

I'm no aficionado on either code, but do enjoy the International test matches in league. I can't quite put my finger on why it isn't as compelling as union. It may be something as simple as the venue. When an International is played at Twickenham there is a real sense of occasion. The build up to the game is second to none to in terms of anticipation leading up to the main event. Today's game was held at the KC in Hull.

That was a fine result for England. I can't believe I chose to watch this match instead of Southampton v Bournemouth. Something weird has happened to me in recent years. It must have something to do with being a Rangers fan.

sb_73 likes this.
  6. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

I don't think it's anything to do with being a Rangers fan, Nines - It's football in general. I've become so disillusioned with Premier League football in recent years that I would prefer to watch almost any other sport on TV. The Rugby Union world cup was compelling from start to finish and put the round-ball game to shame. I was watching the cricket this morning and certainly wouldn't have switched to watch either of today's PL games had they clashed.

Sooperhoop, QPR999 and sb_73 like this.
  7. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

That's a relief. I thought it was just me. Although a couple of Bundesliga games in the flesh is a good antidote to English football, simply for the atmosphere. I watched MOTD last night and my mind wandered all over the place. Then I watched the highlights of the RWC final after, a match I had already seen, and was riveted.

The Sunday Times gave Dan Carter 10/10 for yesterday's performance.

Taffvalerowdy and QPR999 like this.
  8. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I was just about to say something similar to Stan Strolls. ( That sounds like the next QPR hero. ) I find myself watching other sports than football more and more.

Carter deserved 10/10 for his performance yesterday. He was in perpetual motion. It's amazing to think that he actually arrived at this World Cup out of form.

Here's a nice video of Liam Messam from yesterday ...

sb_73 and Stroller like this.
  9. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Carter was an unstoppable machine.

QPR999 and sb_73 like this.
  10. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

I think the League version has always been viewed as the poor relation of Rugby, even though it is a far simpler game and, because of that, can often be more all-action as there's none of the faffing about at the breakdown.

It's taken donkey's years for it to shake off the Eddie Waring "Oop and Under" image but anyone who has watched this season's Super League will have been royally entertained as it has the one ingredient that makes compelling viewing and that is tremendous competition. The Grand Final was a great match worthy of the occasion...

QPR999 and Taffvalerowdy like this.

11. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Carter USM, excellent.

Not only scored most of the Kiwi points, but made more tackles than anyone else in both teams.

12. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

for gods sake don't tell the wife

13. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Carter is one of the greatest 10s in history and had a fantastic match, but it wasn't a 10/10 imo. He missed a fairly kickable penalty and had a dodgy few minutes after that where he missed touch and mis-timed an up and under.
    Not much between him and Wilkinson imo.......both fantastic players.

Hype is a weird thing.

14. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

You are probably right Col, I think in rugby a 10/10 performance is virtually impossible. In fact I'm struggling to think of any individual performance in a team game which is an obvious 10/10 - any suggestions?

Interesting - on radio 4 now a Kiwi journalist is saying that rugby is no longer king in New Zealand, lots of kids are playing association football, whereas 30 years ago rugby was virtually compulsory. So there may be hope for the future.....

kiwiqpr likes this.
  15. Sooperhoop

His drop goal was simply sublime, totally unexpected and his speed of thought gave him that split second to shape and hit it from 40 yards, just when the heat was on. Great players make things happen, just like Wilkinson, they are the difference...

16. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

More kids here play football than rugby
    One of the reasons is 10 year old white kids appear to be half the size of 10 year old island kids
    And just in time for the upswing to be of use to nz football the Aussies decide they no longer want a kiwi team in their league

17. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Eddie Jones in London having discussions with the RFU. Nice.

18. Sooperhoop

Unfortunately it's the layer of dross that will be above him that is and has been the biggest problem...

19. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Erm........ what about the dross below him as well?

Just throwing this out there......but are there too many overseas imports playing in the English Premiership Rugby to the detriment of the National side?

20. Sooperhoop

It's a fair point but not enough to destabilise the team in the same way as football. It's the hierarchy that is the biggest problem, the fact it took 59 of them to eventually conclude Lancaster was culpable when it was so obvious before the tournament speaks volumes about the 'old farts'...