1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Rugby Union World Cup 2015 Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by sb_73, Jul 14, 2015.

1. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Only 2 months to go!

Come on Nuts, we know you are out there.

Hard to see past the All Blacks for this one, though they sometimes implode at the WC, especially against France, giving the Springboks a chance to bully their way through. The England/Wales/Australia group is ludicrously tough compared to the others, these teams will spend a huge amount of energy early on. Best shout for the Northern hemispehere - Ireland. Cue our Irish colleagues downplaying their chances, but Schmidt has got them playing a percentage game to grind their way through the competition - can they turn on the flair when needed?

Discuss.

QPRNUTS likes this.
  2. Swords Hoopster.

Swords Hoopster. Well-Known Member

All Blacks faves alright. If England and Australia get out of their group it'll be those two next. France always have half a chance. Wales & Ireland getting to a quarter or a semi would be a great outcome for them.

3. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Wonder if the all blacks can actually win a world cup outside nz

Didley Squat likes this.
  4. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The timing of the world cup suits the southern hemisphere sides as they will be fully match hardened coming at the end of their domestic seasons and after the 4 Nations, although on the down side they could all have injury concerns.

The other groups appear very predictable as to who'll qualify for the last 8 with arguably a weak Scotland side replacing either England, Wales or Australia it does leave it rather open for NZ or SA to dominate.....

5. hammersmith junior

hammersmith junior Well-Known Member

As I've said before it's a 3 horse race,realistically only New Zealand,South Africa and England(because of home advantage) can win the trophy.I fully expect Wales,Ireland and Australia to put up some sterling performances,but I just can't see past the big 3!

6. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

The All Blacks are favourites. England having home advantage at Twickenham is huge and as Stan says, the group of death that England are in is ridiculous!
    If England can get through that group, they have a good chance imo.

7. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Good win for Englland today but I wouldn't read too much into it.

Injuries to a couple of the Welsh may be more significant though.

Deleted 1 likes this.
  8. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Halfpenny would be a massive loss for Wales. Shame, because it would be good to see Australia knocked out at the group stage.

9. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

I have faith in England to do the job. We were a bit sloppy yesterday, but did enough to get past a good Irish side. We actually should have won by more, but some decisions we made cost us 6-9 points as pointed out by Sir Clive in commentary. We won't be able to do that come crunch time. Us against the All Blacks in the final would be great. Cannot wait for the first game.

10. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

New Zealand are head and shoulders above the rest but who knows, they always seem to have one match when they don't quite fire on all cylinders and may just get caught out. Australia are improving but have they improved enough to challenge NZ? A well-respected SA commentator said the Springboks have picked a squad of old faces who weren't good enough four years ago and still aren't so that means the Northern Hemisphere countries all have an incentive to progress.

England seem to be making hard work of winning games and need to improve to be sure of qualifying, I still think they may have blundered leaving Cipriani out of the squad, he's ideal to have up your sleeve for the last 20-30 minutes. Wales last-minute injuries are a massive blow and might just be decisive in the 'group of death'. I still think Ireland will be the dark-horses along with the unpredictable French. Whatever happens it's going to be a great spectacle and I'm looking forward to some blood and thunder clashes...

11. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

Fortunately (?) I have an operation on the 25th that is going to keep me laid up for 2-3 weeks so I'll be able to watch every game from the comfort of my sofa whilst Mrs Sheff keeps me supplied with beer, sandwiches etc!!

12. Swords Hoopster.

Swords Hoopster. Well-Known Member

England are looking good. Its between them, NZ, SA and France

13. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

I'm thinking whoever scores the most points will win the match & series.
    If England can win the Ashes, surely a non favourite can win the Rugby World Cup.
    Naturally, I can see no further then an Aussie Cup winning side.:emoticon-0100-smile

14. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

please log in to view this image

15. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

If I'm honest, I don't see England as having quite the quality to win the World Cup. Much improved but still silly mistakes and Ireland shoved our scrum off the ball several times. The All Blacks will be clinical. Rob Andrew may be right that this is an England squad in the making and won't peak for 2 or 3 years.

16. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Halfpenny out for six months and Welsh hopes take a serious dive...

17. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Pity, was hoping the Welsh could put a big dent in the Aussies chances of getting out of the group, but Halfpennys injury will probably see the Welsh lose out now

18. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

Aw, that's nice that is, trying ro hamper us poor Aussies.
    I'll let you know we have enough issues and challenges of our own without you adding to it......... Buy me a cold one and we'll call it square.

19. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Any time pal, always a pleasure to share a bevvy with a fellow R <cheers>

Didley Squat likes this.
  20. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Stan has stolen a march here. I had a lovely Rugby World Cup thread planned and now I feel that it's been scuppered somewhat. Anyway to liven this one up a bit let's have a few bits and pieces on the English rugger playing ( Rosslyn Park ) soprano, Laura Wright. If any of you lesser rugby playing nations have an equivalent, then feel free to post them. Stan won't mind!