1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Routledge

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by swans-m, Mar 13, 2017.

1. swans-m

swans-m Well-Known Member

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/03/1...d-to-drop-inconsistent-and-underperforming-w/

As the link says - 30 hours of football this season with 2 goals and 1 assist to show for it. Narsingh has 2 assists to his name despite playing 11x less football.
    I'd have a go at Clement, but for a reason I can't even begin to comprehend, every manager favours him over what we have.

Fine he helps out in defence, but as a winger that should be his secondary role, not his primary. His primary job should be to provide decent service to our strikers and chip in with the occasional goal. He does neither of these things. Ffs our left back is streets ahead of him in both attack and defence!
    Surely it's time to give Narsingh some game time and let him build up some rythym? We can't be any worse off than we are now.

2. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

In Sigurdsson's first " 30 hours of Football " he had 2 open play goals , just saying .
    To me Routledge brings things we need and lack , defensive qualities , creativity and trickiness .
    My biggest gripe with him is a lack of concentration at times and some bad passing .. but hey , no one is perfect .

swanseaandproud likes this.
  3. swans-m

swans-m Well-Known Member

And how many assists? I'm confident it was more than a solitary one.
    I'm sorry but how exactly are we defining creativity here? Surely a good creative player would create more than 1 goal all season? He averages 1 cross a game and zero through balls. Where is the creativity here? And as for trickiness, well statistically Routledge completes 1 dribble per game. For a winger that's pathetic imo. Here is your evidence for all the stats above. https://www.whoscored.com/Players/4759/Show/Wayne-Routledge
    Like I said above, defensively he does a job, but then shouldn't he just be a full back? There is not enough in his game to warrant taking the place of another attacking player in an attacking position.

4. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

Routledge has been a decent servant to the Club off and on but is a player who epitomises "flattering to deceive". Looks the part but actually delivers very little. Way too inconsistent for me - I'd bench him and get Barrow back if at all possible, at least until the end of the season.

5. Kwame B

Kwame B Well-Known Member

I don’t think Routledge should be starting for us these days. If we need more defensive-mindedness from our wingers then tell Narsingh he needs to track back more, he’s a fit lad, he’ll get used to it soon enough.
    My guess is that managers like Routs because he’s a grafter, puts in a shift in training all week and will track back.
    But like what’s already been said, it’s really not enough any more. Those purple patched he goes through where he scores a few and plays well are becoming far more sporadic now. Think we could still get use out of him, but those two misses against Hull gave and indicator that he’s not at the level he needs to be now.
    I don’t want to slate the guy, because he has been tireless and worked hard for the cause over the years but I do feel it’s time for him to take a back seat now and be introduced later on in games perhaps to use his pace against tiring defenders.

6. seabreeze

Guys on the Leeds board want to give Barrow back and are less than impressed . Although some aren't to impressed with Pablo's 4 goals , 8 assists , 3rd highest rating on the team in various stats combined and 4 MOTM 's either so there's no pleasing some I suppose .
    Siggy get most of his assists from corners and free kicks to be fair , with Llorente on the receiving end .
    Now don't get me wrong , I think Siggy's awesome , but until Fer started playing in the middle recently ,Siggy's numbers were nothing to right home about .

I

7. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Routs a top man who we are very lucky to have but he is being over played and needs a rest, The same goes for our keeper Fab who really needs a few games on the bench....He is making far to many mistakes and is not as sharp as he could be.....It does all players a power of good to be benched from time to time...

8. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

Routledge is an enigma, if someone asked you to describe his role in the team, what would you say? he's a winger? an attacking midfielder? a central midfielder? What is he?

He's been great for the team in the past and on times the gel in our midfield, his link-up play has got us moving on so many occasions. Unfortunately though, these days he has become far too predictable.

Every player and fan knows what he's going to do with the ball. He'll either pass inside, or cut inside. He'll never attack the by-line or cross the ball and very rarely will he take on a full-back. He just doesn't back his considerable abilities.

These days, imo, he's better defensively, always tracks back well, regularly making an impressive block or interception in our own area. He rarely makes a tackle but does get in opposition faces to force them away from goal or pass the ball. There's a lot of good in what he does but its all at the wrong end of the pitch for a midfielder.

I think he still has a role but it needs to be redefined. With a little training he could be a respectable wing-back, not a full-back, imo. I'd hate to dump him off, he's been too important to us in the past and he's just got too much talent to throw him away but, its time for change.

I think its time to take the pressure off him, give Narsingh his wings, retrain and reinvent Routledge as a wing-back and coax his considerable talents in another direction.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  9. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It was me who is far from impressed with Hernandez - His assists are nearly all from corners, YES he is a great corner taker but he goes missing in many of the games. I question at Championship level if you can afford a player in your team for set pieces alone, I don't think you can. As for his goals, we play 4-2-3-1 he plays at number 10 behind the lone striker Wood, I don't believe 4 goals is anything special.

I admit I haven't seen Barrow play but he took a shed load of abuse on Twitter and fans in general from his two substitute appearances. So far he has been 3rd choice and the weekend just gone he didn't even make the bench, maybe he just doesn't want to be out on loan? We expected him to stand out and feature every game when we signed him on loan due to many of the Swansea fans opinion of him. We didn't understand why he wasn't starting more games but according to 'others' he was pretty abysmal in the chance he did get.

Matt Grimes has been poor, he has only featured seven times but that is seven times too many, absoultely awful.

Bartley however, I am not looking forward to the day he goes back, if we could sign him up that would be perfect, he has been pretty special for us <ok>

10. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

All I have to say is, if I was manager, he would never start, nothing but average at best these days, needs to go to a Championship side, hopefully this summer...... <ok>

ristac likes this.

11. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

I don't pay much attention to assists. What is classed as an assist anyway - the last pass before a goal is scored?

If Fabianski throws the ball out to Fer who hits a through ball to Sigurdsson who then slides the ball to Llorente to score, does Sigurdsson get the assist, or does Fer for spotting the run of Siggy, or does Fabianski with his quick thinking get an assist for quickly throwing the ball to Fer. All assisted in my mind.

seabreeze likes this.
  12. Newportswan

Newportswan Well-Known Member

I totally agree on Barrow he is quick and if a ball is played in front of him to run onto he can be effective. However he can never sort his feet out and if he takes a ball whilst standing he is all but useless. He is easily brushed off the ball and at times it looks as if his feet and brain are not connected. Good luck for the rest of the season I just hope we dont pass you going the other way.

ristac likes this.
  13. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If you do then at least you know Bartley is good at this level and he will have a whole season of championship football under his belt, honestly, he is one of the best defenders we have had here in the last ten years. A right nuisance at attacking corners too <ok>

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  14. seabreeze

Whether you get promoted or not , you'll probably keep Bartley ( if you want him ) as I think he's in a League suited to him . But that just my opinion

ristac likes this.
  15. Newportswan

I think Kyle Bartley is underrated. He made 16 apperances for the Swans in 2012 as a 20 year old. Since then he has matured filled out and is a big unit at 6.4 so to say he is not good enough for the premiership is unfair.If he does come back he should be given a chance.

16. seabreeze

I seen enough of Bartley in Monks last 3 games in charge to last me a lifetime . Although , it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong about a player and I'm sure it won't be the last time .

17. Newportswan

I think that is very unfair. The three games in question Bournmouth 2-2 draw then the 1-0 loss at Anfield where Fabiansky hardly had to make a save ( a penalty which was not) and the last game a 0-3 loss to Leicester (who went top of the Prem) yes he made a couple of errors in that game but he was not alone. before these three games he had not played for over two years in the first team. If you talk to anyone who has played football at a high level that is a big ask.

Stumpy and ValleyGraduate12 like this.
  18. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

****ing hell, here we go, it's all about Fer <laugh>

DragonPhilljack and Kifflom! like this.
  19. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

I like Bartley. He was playing during a period when the whole team was pretty crap. If he's doing well at Leeds in a Division which is tough then he should be given a chance. After all, isn't that part of the reason players go out on loan? To improve their game?

20. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

I have said it before and I will say it again...players like Barrow are one game wonders and have a lot of learning to do yet. Bartley could not even get in the Yeovil team. These players have been given their chance far too early and they cant handle it.....They need to knuckle down and not think they have made it and work hard.....I'm not sure on Bartley as he spends far to much time with social media imo but Barrow and a few others show potential and are worth persevering with but are nowhere near good enough to hold down a regular place yet..... They will if they work hard and learn from those who have made it....