1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rosberg Retires!!!

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by eddie_squidd, Dec 2, 2016.

1. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

How about Perez to Mercedes and then have Pascal vs Ocon at force India to fight over the 2018 seat?

2. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The problem is that as much as this is the most converted seat in F1 it's a poisoned chalice. A young driver would likely only get a 1year deal because of the driver market opening up in 2018, and would be destroyed by the experience, political nouse, killer instinct and ultimate ability of Lewis. He's effectively taken everything mentally out of a very robust Nico. Perez, Bottas, Hulk are all now team leaders with multi year contracts and a move like this could be a career ender?

I can't see the Redbull stable budging and if their drivers have a slight idea the 2017 car is going to be good, they ain't going anywhere - especially with the new engine regs. So it leaves Vettel, Alonso (if they can get out of their final year) and Button or Massa who I assume are technically available? I honestly can't see another option.

3. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Werhlein.

4. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Some insight into the Mercedes thought process.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/lauda-half-of-the-grid-has-offered-to-replace-rosberg-856479/

Seems like they think Wehrlein isn't ready. I honesty think Fernando is the best choice. It's a big PR move and they only need a stopgap to last a year or two until their young guys are ready.

5. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Taking a young driver is a risk?

No it isn't... Bang em in as number 2, let em learn and if they can beat Hamilton, let them.

This is the problem with Merc. Too much risk calculation and playing it safe. For as much as Red Bull annoy me too, at least they'll take a risk.

6. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

These young drivers in their debut years........

Hamilton was shocking wasn't he, could only just beat a reigning 2xWDC, and look how Max has humiliated himself at Red Bull.................

If I were Lauda, I'd pick a mid-30's journeyman over a potential rising star any day. Makes logical sense <idiot>

SgtBhaji likes this.
  7. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

I They have to take some sort of risk though, unless one of the big boys can get out of their contract. Maybe they'll look outside F1, Vergne and Buemi have plenty of experience, and although neither set the world alight they did give decent performances

8. Julius Caesar

Forum Moderator

Well Max Verstappen impressed in Toro Rosso before getting the nod. So You've really only got Hamilton in that category. I think he's the exception rather than the rule.

There's no young guy out there at the moment that looks as promising as they did.

Smithers and SgtBhaji like this.
  9. allsaintchris.

I didn't read 'young driver' as a complete rookie, so I included Max in that category.

Werdheim and Ocon are the two that they need to look at. It's hard to say how well they have done at Manor given the teams comparative performance, but surely as part of Merc's driver program one of them should be promoted?

Interesting article yesterday mentioned di Resta! Mercedes contracted, free to move from the DTM. Could it happen!!??

10. SgtBhaji

Surely Vettel is doing everything in his power to get out of Ferrari right now.

11. Julius Caesar

Forum Moderator

I don't mean complete rookie either, so much as a "proven" driver. Everybody knew Max was the real deal after his 2015 performances. Wehrlein by contrast... the jury is still out. He showed good pace on occasion, getting the manor into Q2 a few times and scoring a point, but then again he got outqualified by Haryanto a few more times than Merc will be comfortable with.

I think everybody on the grid bar the Red Bull guys are doing everything in their power to get out of their contracts.

12. SgtBhaji

Yeah... probably.

Maldonado is out of contract. ;)

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  13. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Hulk is their perfect foil for Hamilton IMO but can they get him out of the Renault contract and they give Renault Wehrlein for a year as part of the deal?

Or can Renault tempt another name like Perez or Bottas?

14. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

lol, I imagine every driver on the grid has been on the phone to their lawyers to check their contracts for a possible cancellation clause they could trigger. If you count every contract signed so far as 'set in stone' then you really have a small pool, wehrlein is the obvious choice of these, but seriously, no one thinks Vergne, who was pretty much on pace with Ricciardo, or Buemi have a shout?

15. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Vergne was one of the most unfortunate F1 drivers of modern times IMO.

16. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think the problem is once your out of F1 it's very hard to get back in. In relation to the likes of Pascal and Ocon, I think they would be very grave to by choice take the 2nd seat. If they struggle their career will be over before it even started.

I agree with JC, Lewis was the exception and JB to a certain extent although his career almost ended very quickly. Max did have the TR stepping stone and their was very little between Sainz and him and yet Max is where he is.

17. Mark Blow

Mark Blow Well-Known Member

Di Resta? Somebody's having a laugh if they think that donkey is good enough. The guy who has a more over inflated opinion of his ability, who said F1 drivers are much of a muchness. That's why he's in DTM and Rosberg, Vettel and Hamilton are World/ multiple world champions

18. SgtBhaji

He did beat Vettel in F3.

Smithers likes this.
  19. allsaintchris.

Did he? I'm sure he's never mentioned that at all.

20. SgtBhaji

He's humble like that.

allsaintchris. and Big Ern like this.