1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rosberg Retires!!!

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by eddie_squidd, Dec 2, 2016.

1. moreinjuredthanowen

I think the minute he last last year he was hard nosed and maybe that is not him naturally and putting it in is an effort

I mean it takes some things to make hamiltojn angry and when he gets angry is his supreme... if he can't do it all the time well... rosberg wooke up and realised he'd need ot be ruthless and cut hamilton off to do it.

a) mechanics.. i bet rosberg had a hand in it

b) crashes. before he would back down. this time he banged wheels

c) quali.. much better this year.

IMO if rosberg knows he hasn't the hear tin him to grind it another 20 race season fair enough.

2. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Seconded .

3. Number 1 Jasper

Has anyone heard any comments from Lauda ?

Or Hamilton .

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  4. Number 1 Jasper

Nico Bites 5:50 ...........

5. JonnyBaws

JonnyBaws Well-Known Member

6. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Hmmm... it wouldn't have hurt him to be a bit more gracious, would it?

I'm not suggesting Hamilton's future with Merc is anything but secure, especially in the light of what's just happened but those quotes are an odd mix of "Don't forget what a great driver I am" and "Mercedes bosses are great aren't they?"

With a little bit of sour grapes mixed in of course.

7. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Let's not miss an opportunity to slag off Hamilton hey?

I'm sure he doesn't care. He's a racer.

8. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

I'm a Hamilton fan, Sarge. But I do think he could have been more gracious. Especially as Nico is/was his old friend.

9. SgtBhaji

You're reading Benson article.

El_Bando likes this.
  10. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

While the overall tone is complementary .I've no idea why he felt the need to add "this is the first time he's won in 18 years". Comes across very sour.

11. taeleon

taeleon Well-Known Member

I'd want to see the interview/comments in full personally. It feels like there is more to that statement, it feels out of context.

12. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

I think Lewis cares less and less about 'friendships' these days.

He seems happy with his entourage and hanging around famous names. Lets see where they will be when he retires and is no longer in the media spotlight. Then he may wish he had kept his real friends around him.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  13. SgtBhaji

Rosberg's retiring. He hasn't died.

14. St. Slicks of Stoneham

St. Slicks of Stoneham Active Member

Too much being read into media reports. Lewis and Nico have spent a good part of their racing lives together. I'm sure their relationship is quite different to the way it's sometimes portrayed even if it's been fractious at times.

15. SgtBhaji

Oh I agree. We only get to see glimpses of what goes on and quotes in the media. I imagine now they're not major competitors they'll find it easier to get along again. But they've just come out of a massive battle (albiet not on track as such) for a world title. If Hamilton came out praising Rosberg he'd be branded insincere. There is no winning so probably best to just leave him out of it.

16. SgtBhaji

17. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

Nico has made the right decision for him and his family. As I once said, last season, he is probably a better person off track, vs Lewis. Competitive people are often not content. Good luck to him, I wish him and his family well. He actually has his values right.
    As for his replacement, I think that will be a surprise too. Vettel is an option, Riciardo another. Max I think fancies his chances where he is. Jenson has made his decision and has a new woman so not him. Too old too, as is Alonso except he could do a season, maybe 2. Corporate Mercedes will want a strong driver for the constructors championship, Vettel would be their preferred if he will/can walk.

JonnyBaws and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  18. SgtBhaji

Crap quality but worth putting this here.

A wonderful celebration from a deserving champion. I'm sorry he won't be defending his title but I can completely appreciate why he has made this decision.

Well done Nico, 2016 World Driver's Champion!

Number 1 Jasper and Smithers like this.
  19. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

I went for a quick pint and when I got back Rosberg had retired.

A strange day and an astronomical headline just a couple of days after becoming World Champion.

No one saw it coming otherwise we'd have been discussing it pre-Abu Dhabi, and I'm stunned like anyone else.

From the sounds of it, he and Vivian want to be there for the kids growing up and he referred to this season as a whole family sacrifice to put him in peak condition for a crack at Lewis. Who knows how fatherhood weighs on his mind and you have to remember he and Lewis have completely different lives now outside of the car.

The one thing I'm really disappointed in is Hamilton saying it's the first time Rosberg had won in 18 years. Thats the big difference between them outside of the car- maturity. The whole world saw the reliability issues in Malaysia but quite frankly if Nico is a cheap world champion then I'm afraid we can't look at Hamiltons with much more respect given they have only had each other in opposition for three years, so some humility wouldn't go a miss.

As for who they put in the car? Anyone's guess.

Vettel in 2018 makes sense but for next year? I don't know the contract situations with Button and Alonso.

I bet Hulk wishes he hadn't signed that Renault deal now!

Smithers likes this.
  20. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

I don't accept that Mercedes did not have any idea this would happen. I believe they knew he might go, I even think they thought winning the championship would change his mind. Toto knew this could happen. They will have their shortlist already. It maybe an unknown.

Separately, in thinking about the differences between Lewis and Nico, Lewis claims Ayrton was his idol when he was younger. Ayrton gave back to his people off track, will Lewis do the same? No doubt Lewis has experienced discrimination in life but I hope his reaction to that doesn't taint his humility. He should think of his legacy, how he would like to be remembered.