1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rosberg Retires!!!

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by eddie_squidd, Dec 2, 2016.

1. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Ricciardo would not have foreseen this event though, so I doubt he'll be that bothered. RBR will always be a good team to be in and next years rule change may change the running order anyway, so RBR could be the place to be still.

Alesi's situation is different though to the current position as he did have the choice between two top teams for 1991, so had to gamble which one he thought would be best.

In 1990, Ferrari were matching the McLaren-Honda's, whereas Williams were still bedding in with Renault and whilst quick at times, were inconsistent. At the time Adrian Newey was considered an up and coming designer and only just signed for Williams, however his March's of 1989 and 1990 were not good cars due to unreliability and inconsistency in how they performed so there was no guarantee Williams would have a good car. As it was Williams was a disaster for the first half of 1991 with endless reliability issues. Alesi's heart ruled and he went to Ferrari alongside Prost. Based on the development of Ferrari's gorgeous 640 and 641 cars, he had no reason to believe 1991 would not be good, and then a further 2 wasted years with crap cars after that.

At the moment, a driver like Werdheim potentially has a choice between Sauber or Mercedes. Should be easy to make really............

El_Bando likes this.
  2. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Sauber.... obviously.

3. moreinjuredthanowen

yes no way he could have known but it won't stop him wondering what if i guess.

4. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well that's that then.

5. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Seems that way. Hope Massa doesn't regret it.

6. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

Hope the Hamelots are prepared to vilify another teammate.

7. SgtBhaji

I hope we're ready to vilify eveybody who supports Hamilton.

8. Julius Caesar

Forum Moderator

Did anybody really vilify Kovalainen? I doubt Bottas will be good enough to be hated.

Smithers likes this.
  9. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

A new team may boost BOTTAS imho.

10. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I was just about to say that.

11. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

****ing Bottas in a Merc.

I'd take so many other drivers before him.

1) Hulk
    2)Perez
    3)Sainz

If Button fancied a one year no strings opportunity at some wins and podiums he'd also be on my list.

Vettel and Alonso may be options in 2018.

12. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Aside from the Alonso year, I don't think there has been 'hatred' for any of his teammates. His fight with Button was a fair one and an intriguing one as you had speed v consistency between those guys and on a personal point the two seemed to get on just fine.
    Simply pointing out that a teammate is not as good as Hamilton, or there is questions on who lies at fault over an incident does not constitute hatred. There is far more hatred directed at Hamilton in general than there is against his teammates. When looking at both aspects though, it seems a lot of differences actually came from Mercedes handling of these incidents between the two, which was just dire and therefore stoked the flames of animosity amongst fans of the drivers.

Rather than drive the issue of hate, why not be a bit more open minded and hope that there is none going forwards? You're simply inviting aggression.

eddie_squidd and DHCanary like this.
  13. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

we don't vilify everyone that supports Hamilton, just those that talk ****, whining about favoritism and complaining when his team-mate drives the same way he does.

14. SgtBhaji

And not all Hamilton fans vilify Hamilton's teammates. :)

15. Julius Caesar

Forum Moderator

I certainly remember a good amount of vilification of Button back when he partnered Lewis. Usually about how he was a snake playing politics to steal the team away, or how Whitmarsh caused the teams decline by having the cars built around Jenson's driving style. I think a close teammate battle inevitably inspires hatred from the hardcore fans who view any praise for the other driver as criticism of their guy.

The only error is treating that as something exclusive to Hamilton fans (as ASC said he's every bit as hated as he is loved) or thinking the opinion of some crazy on the internet matters at all. Ignore them and debate with the more rational supporters. Personally I've always felt this forum is better than average in that regard anyway.

Number 1 Jasper and Smithers like this.
  16. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

It was during the Kovaleinen year that I started to see a different side. Heikki was really excited to win and was expecting Lewis to be happy for him, but he had a face like a smacked arse.

17. Smithers

Forum Moderator

taeleon and TopClass like this.
  18. Smithers

Forum Moderator

“Okay, Wehrlein is very young, but no risk, no fun,” said Marko. “So you take Bottas, but you have to give Williams a two-digit discount on the engine deal.

"You do have a budget of €22m, however, as this is what Rosberg would have cost you. But you also have to buy a seat for Wehrlein at a team which is running an engine from a competitor [Sauber]."

Lauda also revealed that if Bottas joins Mercedes then Toto Wolff will have to relinquish his management stake in the Finn, a result of an agreement made when Wolff first joined the team.

19. Smithers

Forum Moderator

20. taeleon

taeleon Well-Known Member

Shows just how high maintenance and how much of a drama queen Lewis is behind the scenes. What see is only the icing it seems lol.