1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rosberg Retires!!!

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by eddie_squidd, Dec 2, 2016.

1. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Yuji Ide

2. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

Alonso sounds very confident in the McLaren project. Not looking to jump ship. Maybe...just maybe next year's mclaren will be good...maybe

3. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

It goes without saying that Yuji Ide is the first name that springs to mind when thinking of drivers that really failed to make the most of their raw, natural talent. He'll always be the 2006 people's champion!

4. Mr.B

Mr.B Well-Known Member

He does have a track record for picking the right teams at the right times. :emoticon-0101-sadsm

But I don't know whether we can set much store by a morale-boosting speech to the workers at McLaren. He was never going to say "Sorry everyone, I'm sick of dragging a crap car around every circuit. I'm hoping I can get that seat at Mercedes. But don't worry - if it doesn't happen, I'll still give my all to our campaign next season. I'll do everything I can to keep Bottas in sight for as long as possible."

:emoticon-0100-smile

5. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The Bottas deal worries me because of how Williams will be left, unless they ask Massa to come back?

Merc are obviously not 100% thrilled with the idea of putting Pascal in the car and the fact that Ocon was chosen ahead of him for FI would raise more questions. The most logical would be for Merc to offer the seat to either Massa or Button on a 1year no strings attached deal. The only issue with this is neither probably want to race in F1, Massa is not a fan of Lewis and if a fast JB turns up (Big If put very possible) then Merc are in the same situation they were last year. I honestly cant see the ideal solution.

6. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

And Vettel and Alonso and Schumacher!

All spent less than a year at a midfield team before moving up to one of the big boys when the contract was on offer.

If you don't move when the opportunity arises, some one else will take your place and there is no guarantee another offer will come round again.

7. Smithers

Forum Moderator

All very well in good in principle, but one wrong move and you go from earning 20 million in your career to having to pay to drive in GT cars. Its very easy from the side line to make judgements but I've seen it for myself how careers are ended with being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sometimes it pays to walk away. The politics that goes on behind the scenes plays a far bigger part than people think.

8. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Jean Alesi is a prime example, the guy was fast, but always made the wrong choice at the wrong time, chose Ferrari over Williams just as Williams were about to start their domination, then left Ferrari and went to Benetton just as they fell apart.

9. SgtBhaji

Bloody good driver too. I swear the higher cockpits ruined him. Just couldn't get the head lean in to conrners any longer. :)

10. Big Ern

yeah, never fulfilled his potential, always remember him in the Tyrrell mugging Senna in Pheonix

SgtBhaji likes this.

11. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

yes, but your argument is he should stay in midfield and effectively hope an opportunity arises.

wouldn't you rather say you gave something a go than think about what could have been?

12. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Anyone who would be content to sit in the midfield and prolong their career rather than take an opportunity for the championship wouldn't deserve to be in F1 anyway.

13. Smithers

Forum Moderator

I'm not saying drivers should stay in midfield teams, I'm just saying that the Merc seat is very unique. It will most likely be the fastest car next year with arguably the fastest driver - and it's a political cluster **** - with Mercs incompetent management and the difficulties of Lewis's profile. I'm simply implying that many managers would be very wary of putting a driver in a position which is more than likely a lose lose situation.

I just know from experience that drivers who are faster than a team mate can be ousted, affected or outmanoeuvred by the political power behind the scenes. A strong powerful management team can make you a few tenths quicker on track and if your naive you can be very easily made to look an idiot through no fault of your own.

14. Big Ern

yeah, you feel whoever goes there is on a bit of a hiding to nothing, Hamilton will probably be more focused than at any other time since he entered F1

15. Smithers

Forum Moderator

Thing is Ern, focused or not he's devestatingly quick - that's why he is so hard to beat.

16. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

Even though Rosberg is a good driver. I always felt another driver could do better than him. I'm not sure where Bottas compares

17. SgtBhaji

My view is that Rosberg is a bloody fast driver, he's just not that hot when it comes to a dog fight. It's let him down many a time. I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if Bottas is as fast as him. Looks like we might find out though.

TopClass likes this.
  18. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Stereotype alert!

Smithers likes this.
  19. Smithers

Forum Moderator

Obviously not as straight forward as Merc thought....

"The F1 world can breathe easy in the lead up to Christmas...Mercedes confirm there will be no announcement on Nico Rosberg's replacement until the New Year.

A team spokesman has said there will be no communications from the team until after their return to work on January 3.

Time to relax... @MercedesAMGF1 confirm no announcement on @nico_rosberg replacement until the New Year. #skyf1

— Rachel Brookes (@RachelBrookesTV) December 15, 2016"

20. moreinjuredthanowen

interesting discussion.

In any sport or endeavour being i nthe right place at the right time is crucial

hence IMO ricciardo will be kicking himself as he could be in prime spot now but signed when rosberg signed up again for mercedes. same for verstappen.. it sounds like he was in the perfect spot when kyvat messed up BUT he's signed on some ridiculously long deal with red bull so is locked in there

the point on alesi is interesting. knowing which is the right move is vital. be it a footballer or an f1 driver or a studnet wondering what career to go for.

Smithers likes this.