1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rory Donnelly suspended from all Gills duty

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by Old Timer in Cyprus, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Old Timer in Cyprus

Old Timer in Cyprus Active Member

Club wish to make no further comment at present. WTF has he been up to then?

2. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

And in ' other ' news, didn't I read that Joey Barton has been betting on his team to lose ?

3. Old Timer in Cyprus

Old Timer in Cyprus Active Member

' He shot wide as planned, then bugger me it got a wicked deflection and he found he had scored. Oh no!'

Reminds me of a story I was once told about Gills in the 1930's when they somewhat foolishly released the retained list before the season's end, A player who had found out he was getting the boot had to play in the last home game. Apparently he dribbled round three defenders,paused to look up at the Directors' Box, and promply lobbed it over the bar.

4. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

No you didn't.
    Joey Barton made about 1600 bets on football results, none of which he played in, that was out of a total of over 16000 bets overall.
    He has admitted to having a gambling addiction and sought help, he has cooperated with the FA throughout, yet his punishment is more severe than other players who have been found guilty of betting on games they have played in.

5. alwaysright

grumpygit
    Actually I did read the 'news' about Barton. Actually it was Barton who stated that he bet on his own team to lose http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39720232
    I never said that Barton played in any of those games. I never said that Donnelly has done the same ! - but given the position the Gills are in , it has to be something quite serious to get suspended.

I do agree that JB's punishment should not have been as severe ( let alone more ) than any player who actually payed in games he/she may have placed a bet to 'lose.' --- but the rules do come down from FIFA.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  6. alwaysright

7. brb

brb CR250

We don't know why Rory has been suspended and nor should we speculate. That is all I'm going to say on this topic.

8. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

The Ade interview suggests it is for non footballing reasons.