1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Roly Poly Keeper is sacked

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Sooperhoop, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Sutton have sacked Wayne Shaw over his pie-eating antics, proof, if needed, that football has lost it's sense of humour and it's soul...

Telford Ranger likes this.
  2. hammersmith junior

hammersmith junior Well-Known Member

They're saying it's for betting purposes,because he was 8/1 to be caught live eating a pie or a pasty ! Either way I agree with you Sooper,it was like the old days when there was more to football than just making a buck. Give me a good game over the park between 2 young feisty sides,over 2 prancing overpaid primadonna's any time ! The day the footy died.

3. Telford Ranger

Telford Ranger Well-Known Member

icon_nod.gif

4. Eamon Holmes

Eamon Holmes Well-Known Member

Wasn't he Paddy Kenny's role model?

please log in to view this image

5. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Where do they draw the line though?
    If Sutton staff and/or relatives have put money on this bet, he and they are in a lot of trouble.
    It would be no different to a player putting money on when a corner will happen and kicking the ball out to make it happen.

6. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Fair point but everyone I've spoken to about that match said what a great night it was for football, any feelgood factor from it has well and truly been blitzed by the petty jobsworth brigade...

7. hammersmith junior

hammersmith junior Well-Known Member

I know what your saying Col,and your bang on the money as usual. I just feel as though all the fun is being squeezed out of the game,there's not many moments of complete joy for me that make me say to myself,that's why I love this game. If betting irregularities have occurred then I'm confident they will be found out and punished accordingly. Just looking at him last night,transported me back to an era that hand on heart I actually miss !

8. KooPeeArr

KooPeeArr Well-Known Member

If he had just done it because he was a character then fine but defrauding bookies is much more serious.

9. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

By the looks of him it looks like the pie/pasty eating thing was a regular occurrence....

10. seagullhoop

seagullhoop Well-Known Member

It was a 'great night for football'... sadly it has been tainted by a betting scandal that was entirely avoidable?

But is it really the jobsworth's fault?

1. He said that knew about the bet beforehand.

2. He was in a position (in front of the dugout on live TV) where it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine he would be clearly visible eating the pie.

He said he knew that people knew about the bet.

Not the sharpest tool in the box is he?

Then again... offering decent odds on seeing someone eating a pie live on TV seems an odd bet to offer by a 'reputable' betting company... almost as if they expected it to happen...

<party>btw we're 1-0 up on 4 mins... Smith UTRs

11. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

I completely agree mate. However, I fear he may have known what he was doing which means that it's him that has sucked the joy out of the situation.

12. NigsyHoops

NigsyHoops Well-Known Member

It was SunBets that put the odds up at 8/1 and you could only put a fiver on and as they also were sponsoring Sutton they have got so much publicity very cheap. And for these bets you normally have to be a new customer and open an account. You will see loads of these sort off things come the Cheltenham festival next month.
    PC gone mad again, perhaps a slap on the wrist and donate half your winnings to charity.

13. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

A lot of over-reaction to this if you ask me. SunBets knew exactly what they were doing and happily paid out a few quid in exchange for a good bit of publicity. Shaw was a bit foolish to get involved, but he didn't do anything which could affect the game in any way.

14. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

Goalkeeping coach and 46 year old goalie at the end of his career with a non-league club and probably getting paid a pittance from Sutton does something which gets him sacked but also which makes him famous. He will probably be appearing on talk show's and Big Brother shortly. Fair play to his mates if they made a few quid out of it and if he goes on to be rich and famous. I will never cry over bookies getting stung for a few quid.

NorwayRanger and Flummox like this.
  15. Devonhoop

Devonhoop Well-Known Member

Influencing the outcome of a bet......surely if he'd not eaten the pie/pasty he would have influenced the bet - in the bookies favour!!

Naive - maybe,
    Bit of a laugh - most certainly
    Serious - Not at all

Why was it put up as a bet in the first place, completely agree with Stroller, just for publicity so therefore they wanted him to do it!