1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Rogue One - A Star Wars Story

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by ellewoods, Nov 26, 2014.

1. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

I think TFA was pretty average. I just can't take it too seriously when it copied almost every scene from the original. Give me Jar Jar Bunks over that any day.

Rogue One is exceptional. It really shows how you can acknowledge the past without just going ridiculously overboard like TFA did. I'm a fan of JJ Abrams too, but I just thought TFA was a big shame.

2. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

It's precisely this. Everyone ****s themselves silly over the excitement and hype and then a few months down the line realises it's not as good as first thought.

The exact same happened with The Phantom Menace, people forget it got 5 stars aplenty. The Force Awakens is a good film, a decent 3.5 stars max for what is essentially the same film as A New Hope, yet the way some people talked it was better than Goodfellas.

3. SydneyTiger14

SydneyTiger14 Well-Known Member

Ah well lol.

4. SydneyTiger14

No it didn't, everyone hated TPM when it came out. Some tried to rationalise what they saw, but no one thought it was awesome coming out.

TFA is far better than the prequels, it's just not as good as people thought it was initially.

WhittlingStick likes this.
  5. bum_chinned_crab

Yea it did. FACT. There were many 5 star reviews.

6. SydneyTiger14

From general fans? I've seen footage of fans walking out of the premiere and they're all stunned and confused by what they watched.

7. bum_chinned_crab

No, when I said "5 star reviews" I imagined you'd realise I meant in the media. I've never met a general fan who writes film reviews.

8. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

The first new Star Wars film was ****. It was a proper Disney cheesy bollocks poo smear.

I've only just discovered Rogue One exists since I noticed this thread last night. I'll watch it.

9. SydneyTiger14

OK, even from the 5 star reviews I just found they're talking the effects and cinematography, and "making something breathtaking out of a weak story".

For the record casual fans do review movies for imdb. And when stopped by reporters and asked their opinion on movies.

10. bum_chinned_crab

I didn't say they didn't do it, I said I'd never met any who do.

Just a point when looking up reviews on the internet, I for one didn't even have the internet in 1999. These were reviews I read in newspapers and magazines at the time. How old were you then? It's bold to say 'no it didn't, everyone hated it' when you a) lived on the other side of the world and b) were very young at the time. It's even bolder when you just acknowledge you found some 5 stars yourself :emoticon-0148-yes:

11. SydneyTiger14

Hated it as a movie. Since the context of you bringing up 5 star TPM reviews was that people in here loved it, and people who loved TFA last year don't like it as much this year, not sure what reviewers have to do with it.

I still think TPM, AOTC and ROTS are absolutely brilliant examples of what can be achieved with technology and by and large hold up today as visual masterpieces.

12. BlackAndAmberGambler

BlackAndAmberGambler Well-Known Member

Never watched a Star Wars film in my life.<confused>

13. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

Star Trek eh?

14. WhittlingStick

WhittlingStick Well-Known Member

About the prequels , most people (and whats the point of talking about pait reviewers , who often have a vested interest in being at the lunch table for Disneys/Univerals/Columbia pictures next hype-a-thon) the FANS are pretty much in chorus the prequels were babba , and interestingly the media went from Praising the prequels to often calling them the "much maligned 1-3 episodes are now viewed more fondly" - type scenario .
    i liked large parts of the prequels but (as its hours of telly) large parts are also dong barf.

FA was a solid movie that needed to almost retell ANH in another timeline to create the right feel for this current trilogy - ep8 will be the telling movie as the nods and winks are all done with.
    Rogue One was flipping bloody good

SydneyTiger14 likes this.
  15. bum_chinned_crab

I wasn't disputing this at all. Everyone I know thinks episodes 1 and 2 are massively ****, and now people are saying TFA wasn't all that, but the point is a huge amount didn't at first and this develops over time once the initial excitement of a new Star Wars film wears off. I thought it was pretty clear from both mine and Sterling's post that this is what was meant.

So I guess you'll never read a film, tv, restaurant or music review from a professional ever again.

16. SydneyTiger14

Just got back from second viewing of R1 and enjoyed it even more, which is a consistent message I've seen. Don't think it's going the same way as TFA - which I still enjoy quite a lot. I think people just find it 'cool' to not like it anymore.

17. bum_chinned_crab

I don't think there's anything 'cool' about it at all, lots of people just got massively carried away with it at the time and have since revised their views. Someone I know said it was the best film he'd ever seen, whereas I came out of the cinema and said it was decent, nothing more. I posted the very same on here, at the time.

18. SydneyTiger14

I think a lot of people think it's cool to have an opinion they don't think the majority share. Odd that you don't think that that's quite normal these days. Have you not heard of hipsters?

19. bum_chinned_crab

I didn't say anything of the sort. I was talking about a specific film.

Seriously, why do you ALWAYS do that? I say one thing and then you make a massive leap and decide I meant something else completely unrelated.

20. SydneyTiger14

Eh? I said people think it's cool to not like it. You said you don't think that's the case at all, and I responded saying I was confused that you don't think it's cool to have an alternate opinion in this day and age. Why do YOU always do THAT?