1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Rogue One - A Star Wars Story

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by ellewoods, Nov 26, 2014.

1. WhittlingStick

WhittlingStick Well-Known Member

dont mean to spoil the movie but here is my take on how the Empire lose the Death Star plans . . .
    i did originally have K-2SO reaching through the glory hole , but it didnt look obvious as to what he was trying to do , yeah he looked more like a pervy droid .
    @figurehertz

IMG_4726.jpg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    AKCJ likes this.
  2. Quill

Quill Bastard

Well, that was quite a good film. Better than Force Awakens in fact.

3. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Seeing this on Sunday.

Was never a Star Wars fan when growing up so I suppose I don't have quite the same outlook on it as most people my age.

Saw the original trio a few years ago and they were excellent. Miles ahead of their time. Episodes 1, 2 and 3 might have the special effects and what not but the acting is truly horrible. I really enjoyed TFA, mixed the action and special effects of 1, 2 and 3 (and then some) but with the acting that made the characters seem really genuine.

Looking forward to Rogue One. Don't want any spoilers but I've heard only good things about it.

4. Quill

Quill Bastard

I'll say this: you'll want to watch the original after this finishes.

There's a good few callbacks to ANH in this, which tie it together nicely. I'm going to rewatch ANH again later today, after seeing Rogue One it will now be a much more interesting viewing now I know how the plans got out.

5. Quill

Quill Bastard

My current ranking (I need to probably see Rogue One and ANH again to be certain)

1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2/3. Star Wars / Rogue One
    4. The Force Awakens
    5. Return of the Jedi
    6. Revenge of the Sith
    7. The Phantom Menace
    8. Attack of the Clones

Just a few random points about Rogue One.

I thought the CGI Tarkin and Leia were bloody superb, in particular Tarkin. When I first heard they were going to put Peter Cushing in CGI in this film I was incredibly skeptical, but it really works. Yes, you can tell it is CGI, but damn if it isn't brilliant CGI. I felt it didn't distract at all.

The callbacks to ANH were really nice, the one in particular I loved was during the space battle when a pilot under the callsign Red 5 is killed (Red 5 is Luke's callsign, this essentially shows how he got it). The only one that slightly bugged me was when Jyn and Cassian bump into that bloke Obi Wan kills in the cantina in ANH. Felt that was just slightly too far, but is no massive problem.

I know it sounds bad, but I'm glad everyone dies. It shows the plans meant more than anything else, and that is really is a one-and-done story with no 'proper' sequel. Fair play to Disney and Lucasfilm on that one.

I felt Vader's use was spot on - not too much, and that final scene alone was worth it completely.

They weren't lieing when they said this is set right before ANH, were they?

Final point - sorry R2, but there's a new best droid out there. K2SO is bloody ace. Easily the bext character in the movie for me.

There's probably a couple of other things but I need to rewatch it to have a good idea about them.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    PLT likes this.
  6. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

Agree with all of that analysis Quill. My rankings would be totally different though!

Quill likes this.
  7. Quill

Quill Bastard

Let me guess, Star Wars Holiday Special is top? Don't blame you.

8. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

Revenge of the Sith is ****loads better than Return of the Jedi.

FACT.

Attack of the Clones is one of the most boring films I have ever seen. I dont think I have ever sat through it without falling asleep, including in the cinema. Thankfully Ive fallen asleep at different points so have managed to piece it together.

9. SydneyTiger14

SydneyTiger14 Well-Known Member

@ellewoods care to revisit that discussion where you were 100% certain the person bowing in front of the tank was Vader and I was certain it wasn't?

10. Spook

Spook Well-Known Member

Hayden Christensen is a really good actor, judging by the other stuff I saw him in. It's hardly his fault he had to deal with a ****ty script with all the cringey dialogue as Anakin.

ROTS is better than the Phantom Menace and Clones but it was still cringey. Palpatine in particular was just over the top. Just look at the screech he does before he attacks Mace Windu.

11. SydneyTiger14

I agree it was a little out of place having that guy there, but made a little bit of sense in terms of them having the death sentence in multiple systems.

Tarkins cgi really threw me in the first scene but I got used to it, and leia was perfect.

Loved it overall, loved all the characters, and thought it really added depth to the universe.

PLT likes this.
  12. SydneyTiger14

HC had one or two good films but is poor in Jumper and there's a reason he isn't in many films any more.

13. Spook

Spook Well-Known Member

I thought he was really good in American Heist. Hollywood probably won't touch him because of Star Wars but Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan was equally if not more cringeworthy.

14. SydneyTiger14

Really? Ewan McGregor is almost universally recognised as the only good actor in the prequels and the best thing about them.

15. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

Is there another new one?

That last one was a pile of dribble botty.

16. Quill

Quill Bastard

Ewan McGregor is the only decent thing (at least acting-wise) from the prequels. Maybe Ian McDiarmid. Looking forward to the inevitable Obi Wan spinoff.

Agreed, that's why it didn't bother me too much.

They have a right mixed bag of luck though - they just escape Jedha's destruction only to be chopped up in Mos Eisley pretty much straight after.

Even if the majority of the film had been rubbish, the final third/last 30 minutes were 10/10.

PLT and SydneyTiger14 like this.
  17. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

He hasn't been on since early November.

18. Oregon Tiger

Oregon Tiger Well-Known Member

Got back to Cambridge from WHL on Wednesday just in time to go to the midnight showing of Rogue One. Really enjoyed the movie. I'm not going to post any details/spoilers just in case.

probably going again over the weekend as her indoors wants to see it now.

19. WhittlingStick

WhittlingStick Well-Known Member

no spoilers from me either . . . watched it last night it was really good , definitely better than epVII , which i enjoyed also .just wish my picture posted above was more accurate . . . altho my old Jedha pic was really close

20. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

I watched FA again recently. Without the excitement of it being a new Star Wars, it wasn't as good as I thought it was. Might go see Rogue One just to say I did.