1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Robinson's tactics

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, Feb 22, 2017.

1. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

Interesting comments from an MK Dons fan:

"Robinson will never, ever abandon 4-2-3-1. It's his thing. It is one of the reasons we were relegated and had a poor start to the season. Robinson is a stubborn tactician. He will not and cannot adapt his tactics to suit the opposition. If you have no holding midfielders available, he will find a couple of poor souls to play there. Good luck doing well with his formation without a decent striker. We only got promoted from League One because we had two 20 goal a season men.

Basically he will buy, beg and borrow to get players to fit his system. If he doesn't he will still play with it anyway. You are stuck with it until he goes unfortunately."

Sounds familiar ?

2. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

I was excited to finally have a manager who adopted this formation, but we don't have the players and he needs to adapt suitably.

More criminal is persisting with Crofts over Aribo. Why he and JFC haven't had a run of games is beyond me.

3. User deleted as requested

Also explains why our "striker" always looks so isolated - that formation definitely doesn't suit Watt and I'm not sure it suits an unfit Magennis either.

4. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

We seem to be going backwards fast. Roland's trigger finger must be poised.

5. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Just need to listen to Bob Peeters on 'Getting to know the network' - KM should be nowhere near the club. She ultimately is responsible for that 'top 6 budget' and has done F all about it.

6. User deleted as requested

In a nutshell, Robinson is performing worse than Slade but in a more attractive manner.

7. User deleted as requested

The MKD fan says that the only time Robinson ever enjoyed success as a manager with his rigid system was when he had two 20 goal strikers at his disposal - Will Grigg and Benik Afobe. They scored over 40 between them.

Surely Robinson realises that Novak, Watt and Magennis are just not capable of that ?

8. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Well-Known Member

What's all this **** about him being our best manager yet? He came below us last season and was sacked with MK just above the relegation zone. They have improved massively since he left, whilst we have continued to be ****.

If Slade or Robinson were in charge for the three games Nugent was caretaker, we'd only be 3/4 points above the relegation zone. If we used their average ppg, anyway.

9. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

I think it says a lot about the Club that Steve Evans preferred to go to Mansfield Town rather than join us!

10. The Kish

The Kish Well-Known Member

This is the first time in years that we've had 3 or 4 good traditional wide players yet last night we were so narrow; Solly could never play the pass he wanted when he had the ball. So frustrating when you have the players capable of stretching a team and making space.

11. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Apparently he's been playing Holmes through the middle?

12. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

The quote at the top says it all for me. We do not have the players for the formation he plays, but he doggedly sticks with it, even though it clearly doesn't suit, and we are now sinking again.
    I was also fairly happy with his appointment, but the happinness has drained as it seems he cannot change tactics - makes it easy to play against us. I really do not want another managerial change, as a newbie will only find himself hamstrung by RD, but this guy is starting to look like another dead end.

The Kish likes this.
  13. User deleted as requested

All of Robinson's tactical limitations on display again yesterday

- playing the slow and big breasted Lee Novak in the lone strikers role FFs. He can't run onto a thru ball and he can't hold the ball up as a target man

- playing little winger Byrne as a full back, and then "joking" after that it was an exciting selection. It was clear that Byrne is poor positionally as a defender and doesn't know what to do when an attacker runs at him. Why would he- he is a winger ?!

Next game - 4'6 Jay deSilva replaces Bauer at centre half.

14. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Before the game Aaron Barnes collected a trophy on behalf of the U-23's. Last time I saw him Barnes was a highly promising young RB, so why not play him? An ideal game, I would have thought. And I don't know why Edwards doesn't get a shot at LB either, even as a skinny kid he was better than Page. To think we let THD go for peanuts.