1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Riyad Mahrez asks to leave

Discussion in 'Leicester City' started by Proud Fox, May 30, 2017.

1. Proud Fox

Proud Fox Well-Known Member

No surprise really as we all expected it. We all wanted Kante and Mahrez to give us 1 more year after winning the title. Kante didnt but Mahrez did.

He will leave as a Leicester legend and one of if not the best player ever to pull on a Leicester shirt

He wont need to buy a direct replacement IMO as Demarai Gray and Tom Lawrence step up.

We should get a big transfer fee for Mahrez and shouldnt accept anything under £40M

FosseFilberto and Jack Lesterfan like this.
  2. Proud Fox

FULL STATEMENT

And here is that statement from Riyad Mahrez in full:

"Out of the huge admiration and respect I hold for Leicester City Football Club I wanted to be totally honest and transparent with them and have therefore informed the club that I feel now is the time for me to move on.

"I had a good discussion with the Chairman last summer and we agreed at that time that I would stay for another year in order to help the club as best as I could following the transition of winning the title and in the Champions League.

"However, I am fiercely ambitious and feel that now is the time to move on to a new experience.

"I've always enjoyed a good relationship with the Chairman and everyone at the club, and I hope I have been able to repay the faith shown to me by my performances and commitment on the pitch during my time here.

"I've had the four best seasons of my career at Leicester and have loved every moment. I feel immense pride to have been a part of what we have achieved during my time at the club, culminating in becoming Premier League Champions.

"The relationship I share with the club and our amazing fans is something I will treasure forever and I truly hope they will understand and respect my decision."

Jack Lesterfan likes this.
  3. Jack Lesterfan

Jack Lesterfan Well-Known Member

Fair play, don't blame him <applause>

4. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Is as expected - the main clubs after him are Arsenal and Monaco with Marseilles and Spurs rumoured to be interested as well.

5. leicester_ed

leicester_ed Well-Known Member

Fair play. Disappointing but fair play. His worry now is that his performances were so consistently below standard last season that no one particularly big will want him. Monaco seems sensible

6. BuzzardFoxMick

BuzzardFoxMick Well-Known Member

Not being funny but I sincerely hope and trust that he has set his sights higher and better than the Spuds ffs !

7. leicester_ed

leicester_ed Well-Known Member

But who is better and would want him? The main title challenges 2 years in a row

8. LeicesterWizard

LeicesterWizard Well-Known Member

Thanks for staying Mahrez, some great performances helped us in the title winning season (Watford away stands out), this season, not so sure, probably best for him to goto a club where he'll get more chances to showcase his skills.

Shame he had to release a statement, it will probably drop his transfer fee by a few million.

Now we know that hes definitely off, i hope we are looking to bring in his replacement as soon as possible, because im not convinced that Gray will stay either, even if he does, hes still very raw and hasn't impressed me when hes started matches.

stevefox likes this.
  9. Foxy in Foyle

Foxy in Foyle Well-Known Member

No surprise, find it slightly odd he's released a statement. Hopefully a move abroad rather than another PL team. Atletico Madrid? Could that explain his appearance last week...

Outstanding player for us. One of the best we've ever seen.

Absolutely <laugh><laugh><laugh>

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  10. BucksFox

BucksFox Well-Known Member

Zut alors! How will we cope without his electrifying pace and combative defensive capabilities? <laugh>

In all honesty I can't see him fitting into another Premier League team. Spain or France would suit him much better.

11. HarboroughFox

HarboroughFox Well-Known Member

Thanks for giving us one more year Riyad, albeit below par. I hope he goes abroad rather than stay in the Prem. I will watch his future career with interest.

12. jambawamba

jambawamba Well-Known Member

Thanks for the games you played in! think it is best for all parties that you have decided to go Good Luck in the future, work hard and
    don't turn into a bench warmer <applause>

HarboroughFox likes this.
  13. MIAMI_FOX

MIAMI_FOX Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Best for all concerned he was a passenger in many games this past season but I will remember the magical games he had before that.
    Wish him well.

14. Proud Fox

I dont think this is as clear cut as Mahrez thinks

We will want a fee based on what he achieved during our title winning season

Other clubs will want to pay for what he was last season

He has no release clause unlike Kante and still has 3 years left on his contract. We turned down £38M for his mate Islam Slimani who probably want to leave aswell now. So that proves we wont be bullied by someone throwing a couple of quid around

BuzzardFoxMick likes this.
  15. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

I think it is rather clear cut - what the club are asking for and what the club want are two different things and I think he knows what the club wants and his agent is going around "Leicester want £50m but you can get him for £35m if you give me a couple of quid to negotiate for you - grab a bargain".

With Arsenal most likely losing Ozil and Sanchez, there is space there for him as there is in Monaco with half their team leaving.

There is even a chance we might get a new manager who persuades him to stay.

16. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

<rofl> I'm sure he has .. the comment "fiercely ambitious" would appear to rule out both Spurs and Liverpool ... Monaco or Arsenal would seem to meet the criteria ... both likely to be UCL participators regularly and there is the french element to boot ...

Will miss him ... what a player ... and he was a major, major, factor in Leicester City FC winning the title ... his goal away at Man City last season will remain one of my favourite memories of watching the club over a lifetime ... good luck fella, hope you go on to more success and glory ...<ok>

:cool:

17. JohnTheFox

JohnTheFox Well-Known Member

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/riyad-mahrez-urges-leicester-reduce-10536847

Sincerely hope this isn't true as it would reflect very badly on him. Fair enough if he wants to go (I think Monaco is the best option) but to try and bully the club into losing out on money (if true) is wrong. How about he puts the extra £10mill from his own pocket or his signing on fee elsewhere if he's that desperate. I bet he won't!
    He's alledgedly using the fact we got him cheaply as justification. Does that mean Spurs should let Kane leave for £10mill as he came through the academy and didn't cost them? Of course not.