1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rival watch

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Lovearsenalcock, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

:grin:

2. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

How many times did they double check that they weren't accidentally offering a contract to Manuel Pellegrini?

3. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Yet more Soton rage at Spurs when he leaves to join the Poool.

4. The RDBD

From the name, I thought they had genetically engineered a
    combination of Pochettino and Pellegrini.

5. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

6. humanbeingincroydon

Reports in Italy are saying that Gianluigi Donnarumma is considering sacking Mino Raiola as his agent, due to Raiola generally pissing off not just Donnarumma but also Donnarumma's entire family with his usual summertime antics.

Just making a suggestion here: if Donnarumma's family want to sort it out the traditional Italian way, they could probably make an absolute fortune selling tickets...

7. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

8. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Well done indeed this is a proper use of the wealth in football.

9. humanbeingincroydon

...which basically translates as...

Today with my tweet I made a real to-do, which I didn't want to make, and for that I apologize. I would like to reiterate my absolute love for Milan and its fans. Now I am with the national team, with which I hope to give all the fans a gift. My promise is, as soon as the Euros are over, I will meet with my family and my agent to discuss my renewal.

I guess Raiola won't be getting the sharks with the frcikin' laser beams attached to their heads this summer...

10. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Won't be much bigger........and that's a lot of money they are going to lose.
    The bossman obviously didn't expect his team would be playing in the premier.....

11. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

No chance, gate receipts are peanuts compared to PL money and TV rights these days.
    All clubs should be able to do this without much of a loss whilst building a greater fan base from the people who actually love the game.

12. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

You're right but at the same time the difference is significant enough for most PL chairmen to take it very seriously.
    @The RDBD can do the proper number crunching but extrapolating 30,000 fans paying an average of £10 for an average of 30 home games (including cups and europe etc.) fetches £9m across a season. Raise the average ticket price to £40 (still not outrageously high in this day and age) and you collect £36m in gate money across a season. That will pay the wages of your top 5 or 6 earners every season and could give you the leeway to offer improved contracts to fend off the vultures.

Generous, but very stupid from the Huddersfield chairman.

13. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Except it's for just around 4000 fans for Huddersfield. As you say if that includes europe which they do not have so really its costing the club just £3.5m which is chump change.

Secondly their season ticket price is 200 quid so i guess they undercharge anyway.

Third their capacity is only 24,500

14. The RDBD

The Huddlesfield offer is probably ok for this season, assuming they
    have not had a serious wage bill jump this summer.

Next season will be a different story if they are not relegated.
    I doubt that 10 quid per ticket offer will survive then.

15. Citizen Kane

As I said, I didn't know the fine print of their number game (that's RDBD's department. Or "Rainman" as Spurlock calls him <laugh>).

I was looking at the general question of 'couldn't all major clubs just lower their ticket prices to pittance if, stacked up against TV rights and endorsements etc., they amount to pittance as it is?'

Whilst tempting, I think that even using modest figures as starting averages, the difference across an entire season - bearing cup and Euro games in mind - is certainly large enough to keep notion in the realm of dreams. Would be lovely, but cannot see it happening - even as TV deals grow exponentially.

16. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Fair enough, it's because you mentioned the Huddersfield Chairman afterwards being very stupid i thought the subject was on them.

to counter your point on the tickets using your numbers, its 36m vs 9m so a 27m difference which is around 500k a week. A lot of wages, but not much relative to transfer fees.

In the grand scheme of things (dunno how much commercial revenue pulls in) but spurs alone pulled in 145m from PL money and 11m (theres a new CL deal) from CL.

17. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

El Hadji Diouf says he is not a bad guy and his country agrees but all the spitting did not endear him to many in England. He also says the Gerrard never did anything for his country when he played for England. I wouldn't disagree with that although I do believe he tried. The problem was we also had Lampard and England managers would insist on playing both of them, which most fans felt had never worked. I would have gone for Lampard out of the two and left the other on the bench as a super sub.

Sorry about the print it's because I c&p Diouf's name to spell it right.

18. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Of the three promoted teams I honestly believe Huddersfield will be going straight down.Sorry! Sunderland coming straight back. I wonder about Brighton,though......and Man U buying a new team so Mourinho can keep his job!

19. Citizen Kane

Huddersfield's biggest problem will be that they look like the next Boro. Really struggled to score goals last season (somehow managed to finish 5th with a GD of -2 <yikes>) and also weren't much to write home about defensively. Lots of 1-0's that simply don't get you very far in the PL.

They're certainly recruiting in the right areas to address this problem, but to my mind breaking your transfer record twice in quick succession on two totally unproven journeymen in Depoirte and Mooy (although I know @perrymanlegend rates the latter quite highly) seems poor business too.

They'd be far better off going in for proven PL talent - even if it's just the likes of Defoe on a short contract - just to steady the ship while their current crop learns the ropes.

BobbyD likes this.
  20. humanbeingincroydon

Still makes more sense than last night's episode of Twin Peaks...