1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rival watch

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Lovearsenalcock, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

****, missed a bit out of that :(

2. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

You forgot to change accounts again...

3. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Me and our memory <doh>

Thanks <ok>

4. humanbeingincroydon

Maybe if you calmed down and stopped posting when you were so very, very angry...

5. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

One thing a football forum will never get us is angry <laugh>

6. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

I'm the angry one. Diego is the placid one. HBIC is the sarcastic one.

BobbyD and Diego like this.
  7. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Out of interest, when did anyone post that 'no-one remembers teams that don't win anything' or that people will remember arsenals season? Those seem to be the things that have got you so riled up and yet I've flicked back and can't find them anywhere...

All I've said (i think) is 'in five years no-one will remember spurs' 2016/17 season whereas at least our name will be written on something'

8. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

The F.A.Cup winners are always remembered - but increasingly it's a bauble it's nice to have, but is no measure of achievement.
    Leading teams treat it like pre-season tournament. The financial rewards make it an irrelevance in the money stakes. And money is the driving force for all those leading teams.
    The older, nostalgic or anorak fans will derive great pleasure from a domestic cup win, but I suspect most fans of the latest winners will still be bemoaning the failure to challenge for the PL title and the failure to get a seat on the gravy train that is the CL.
    Come August, the reality of not being in the CL will be more significant than having won this particular trophy.

cini65 and Citizen Kane like this.
  9. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

That is probably why over the last 20 years United, Liverpool, City, Arsenal and Chelsea have won it multiple times oh, and Portsmouth and Wigan won it once each. No others unfortunately managed to win this pre-season tournament.

10. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

Oh the 5 teams with the biggest budgets and the biggest squads, no surprise that they can make wholesale changes in the early rounds and get through. The 'place' money in the premier league is more important than the FA cup to many clubs, lots of teams making 9+ changes and not surprisingly struggling to get through.

11. humanbeingincroydon

So why are you continuing to post stupid messages? That doesn't sound like something a happy, contended person would do.

12. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Why don't Arsenal fans seem to care about their own side, except as an afterthought?
    Spurs, Spurs, Chelsea... oh and we won a trophy. Nearly forgot. <doh>

13. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

WTF is going on with the quote function...every one is going wrong...its about as effective as a Moses dive <laugh>

gooner4ever and The Serious Guy like this.
  14. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

1) you have me quoting something I never said...I haven't called you thick or mentioned Nigel Mansell.
    2) I write your match threads ... I haven't been rude or ****ty on them cos I am a guest on your board yet you come on here being pig rude with you "spud" comments.
    3) I aint prickly...I congratulated you lot on your board and the premier league board. I am and always have been clear that winning a trophy is better than a top 4 finish.
    4) calling me petal is childish
    5) The premier league board is for wumming so go and do that their or stay here for a sensible discussion.

As for bitter and jealous... my sensible response is that last season Arsenal fans took the piss out of united for not getting top 4 and having to settle for the fa cup and the "Europey League" after they came second in the premier league. Yet this year are now claiming the complete opposite.
    Wenger himself has said that winning a cup is inferior to a top 4 finish.
    Pointing out this hypocrisy is not jealousy on my part...just bemusement at watching the majority trying square a circle of their own making.[/QUOTE]

RCL I wasn't responding to you (the quote function is acting oddly - see the posts others have made as theirs are looking odd too) and I have no beef with you and you are indeed a good sport on our board

BobbyD and remembercolinlee like this.
  15. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

But....... Have any arsenal fans said that they think what we've done this season is good enough?

Our season has been a disaster. Winning a cup doesn't even paper over cracks as they're clearly still there. But it's still nice to win a cup and gloat.

BUT no-one is denying we're not still a ****heap of a club right now. Not that I can see anyway.

16. gooner4ever

Forum Moderator

Its all ****ed up - read my last post as it's an apology to you RCL - as quote function quoted you by mistake and you took offence

Spurs came out as Spuds sorry

remembercolinlee likes this.
  17. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Scared to respond cos god knows what the quote will say ... if it calls you a mo fo it's a mistake <whistle>

18. The Serious Guy

The Serious Guy Active Member

In eleven years time we'll talk about it being the season that set up our title win in 2017/18.
    And it was the season we finished above you for the first time in a long time (remember?).
    And one season wonder Kane finished as top scorer again.
    And we had the best goals for and goals against.
    And we finished above Arsenal for the first time in forever and the first time in a long list of future times.

When you see where we've come from in the last few years (2 points 8games) and where we're going, in comparison to where you've been and can only look back in fond reminisce, it's difficult not to call this a great season.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  19. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

But I've been talking the whole time about seasons or teams being memorable to neutrals so none of your points are relevant. Of course spurs fans will probably remember this season for another year or three (or maybe longer if this is genuinely as good as it gets for you).

But even then you're stretching it with some of your points. A season being memorable because your striker was top scored? Meh. If you say so.

20. gooner4ever

Forum Moderator

Only if you go on to win the title - and if you don't no-one will remember it.

Spurs have played some great football this season (if you check my posting history I have said so many times) and in a way reminded me of how Arsenal have not won things despite playing great football and how we needed to win ugly, and Spurs are the same as you drew too many games, whereas Chelsea played ugly and turned draws in to wins