1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rival watch

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Lovearsenalcock, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

I don't really get the adulation of Conte. Don't get me wrong, he has a proven track record and is one of my favourite managers in the world for his passion, honesty and down to earth approach (the anti-Mourinho in a way). Confirming him as your manager in the summer made me hate you slightly less. That and Terry not playing as much. Get rid of Costa, Hazard and Fibreglass and it will be diluted even further. But I digress.

Look, he took over a team that won the league at a canter 2 seasons before that had underperformed massively last season. He added a couple of players to that formula (David Luiz wasn't his preferred option but knew the club and league very well, Kante was hardly rocket science - any manager in the league would've killed for his signature, and David Alonso tbh isn't that great. Then there's Michy who so far looks an even bigger waste of £30m than Sissoko.).

Maybe you guys have a perspective I am missing but in all honesty, taking over the squad he did and then spending massively in the summer (offset by Oscar's move in Jan to China, although your net spend this year is still over £50m) should lead to his team occupying top spot for most of the season.

I get the feeling that the admiration for Conte is largely fueled by the comparative failures taking place at the other major spenders. If anything, what Conte has done - in context - is normal. Nothing more than was to be reasonably expected.

For that matter, the true measure of his worth as a manager and tactician will surely be next season, when he will have to juggle CL football too?

2. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

I didn't see it but how did the red Ferrari headbutt Aguero. Isn't Ferrari 6ft plus and Aguero 5ft and a bit?
    If Aguero headbutted him,wouldn't the red Ferrari have to be castrated?

3. Inda

Inda Well-Known Member

It wasn't a headbutt as you'd imagine it. The big fella was expected to go nose to nose with the little'un and give it the old "Yeah! C'mon then!", like two boxers at a weigh in. Only the air's a bit thin up there and the big fella didn't think things through. He choose to bow his head when he should have got on his knees

The little'un knew what to do. He'd done it before

littleDinosaurLuke likes this.
  4. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Just my own perspective, but i am a blue:

Winning the league itself is a massive achievement (if we do it, theres still time for us to blow it).

I think you underestimate how big the changes were:

1. Firstly, last seasons explosion, you can say players downed tools (they did at some point but not at the start i suspect). Then bearing in mind Mr safe hands hiddink tookover and his record didn't fair much better to one challenging the league (win 8, 11 draws, 3 losses), extrapolate hiddinks record out and thats 60 points in the season. This team was done

2. Our defence has totally been rebuilt. To be honest it's looked a bit flakey recently but only 2 of that back 5 is from that championship winning team. That's 50% of the defence changed where Terry and Ivanovic were stalwarts. As you said, this has changed by us getting Luiz who everyone thinks is shocking and Gary Cahill who is a solid but nothing special defender, a journeyman in moses and alonso who whilst technically sound and energetic, is probably the worse 1 on 1 defender i have seen.

3. Mastered a change to a 3-4-3 formation. It's helped that he gets full weeks to prepare the team but that's still a big move to change to this system and create a system for these players.

4. Navigated the disaster that is Diego Costa. Whether it was the media or not, Costa could have singlehandedly ruined our season whether that is by moving or downing tools (although it feels like he has downed tools recently!). We are still on track barring you guys continuing your miracle run and us faltering.

5. He's transformed some of our players who looked like flops. Especially the ones who join from foreign leagues, sometimes they need to adapt, sometimes they can't. He's completely changed Pedro, Moses, helped Matic back to form (sort of) and Courtois.

We've been fairly fortunate to have been fairly injury free but man for man i actually think you're team is probably even better than ours. Your defence and depth is better than ours IMO and your midfield is too. Where we are slightly better is the depth and arguably first 11 quality in the creative side but even that is up for debate. On this note, if Poch is doing a fantastic job (he is), so is Conte.

There are things i think he could improve. He likes to give up possession against the more technical sides in favour of a more solid structure. That is fine but i feel he is too negative in these matches and takes far too long to change it up even when we fall behind. I think it's actually pretty easy to nullify us if teams are brave enough see spurs and united at their homes.

What he has done and what he's always done is steamroller the inferior sides.

It will be interesting how he fairs next year as you have said, less games, more time to prepare, less fatigue and less injuries

crackerman jack and Citizen Kane like this.
  5. BobbyD

BobbyD President

I haven't looked but didn't they go back to just your general record to so was including the semis/finals that were at wembley? I'm hoping you do play there next season as your record at WHL has been formidable this season!

6. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Here's another place where the Narrative goes wrong, as all Spurs fans remember that time we played at Wembley in 2008...

please log in to view this image

7. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's just been confirmed that we will be.
    It's part of the plan. Now our home form gets transferred to Wembley. <whistle>

BobbyD likes this.
  8. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Pretty sure Bobby remembers that too, to be fair! <laugh>

BobbyD likes this.
  9. humanbeingincroydon

Pretty sure Alan Hutton remembers it too - he was holding it in for at least half an hour!

please log in to view this image

10. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Clearly wasn't prepared for extra-time.

11. humanbeingincroydon

No wonder Robbie Keane looks so concerned

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  12. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

He's so distracted that he's forgotten to point.

13. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

We used to win at Wembley.Now we don't! Let's not battle relegation while we are there!

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  14. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

Neil Warnock not looking in the best of health when the camera shows him. I hope it's just a "hot flush" which us oldies get from time to time and nothing more serious.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  15. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

It must hot under that Mrs Doubtfire suit:emoticon-0107-sweat

16. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

They probably all forget you had the same manager, players and system back then <ok>

17. humanbeingincroydon

You mean like you forgot that Harry Kane and Danny Rose were at the club at that time?

18. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Nope, didn't forget just didn't know. What did they have to do with you winning at Wembley?

19. humanbeingincroydon

Just pointing out that key members of our current squad actually were with the club then, so your point didn't have one.

Also, are you sure it's wise of a Man Utd fan to dismiss another club's success by saying it doesn't matter as they now have a different manager and the majority of those players have left the club?

20. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Of course it's wise and also true. Look at us and Liverpool, what our ex-players and managers have done means little to our ability now.