1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rival watch

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Lovearsenalcock, Jan 2, 2012.

1. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

That smug Thai twat and his gormless looking son in the directors box, are really getting on my tits.

2. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Getting a bit weird on the Mousers' board. Someone suggested it wasn't the referee's fault.

3. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Well done Leicester <applause>. Keep it up (although 2-2 is OK as that's my prediction)

I don't think it's possible to prove or disprove these theories with stats, but there are certainly a number of factors which might give that perception - such as:

i) Crowd pressure. Some officials are clearly affected by the reaction of a big crowd when making decisions. This is both the reaction to an incident initially and then the way in which any decision about that incident is likely to be received. Some officials are "bottlers". It's also more likely that if 15,000 people in a stand all yell "handball" in unison, that subconsciously, at least, an official is more likely to accept that a handball has taken place. However, there are some officials who want to be the star of the show and will go out of their way not to bow to pressure, even when they should.

ii) Stereotyping/reputation/unconscious bias. We all have preconceived ideas about the way certain teams/players play the game. Some are known as tough and physical; some are seen clever and skilful without needing to resort to physicality. The reality can often be different. It's what you all said about Paul Scholes and his tackling. How can a player with such great skill, timing and precision in possession of the ball be so lacking in these qualities without it?

iii) Reporting by the media. Controversial decisions in big games and/or involving the recognised big clubs receive far more analysis and scrutiny. They linger longer in the memory and are more likely to be revisited time and again as examples of this or that- which may include a view that official x makes poor decisions. It's human nature that officials will shy away from decisions which will result in such analysis and scrutiny, especially when there will be an inevitable backlash. Do you want be remembered as the ref who denied Utd/Chelsea/Liverpool the title by failing to send off the last defender who allegedly brought down the striker who was through on goal in a crucial match at the top of the table?

4. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

This result is incredibly helpful for us, but what a bunch of overpaid tossers these Leicester players are.

5. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Even the BBC are sticking the boot in...

It's never nice to single a player out but sometimes you feel duty bound to - how have Liverpool ended up with Lucas at centre-half? Jamie Vardy left him in his wake for the first goal and on several occasions since.

I know hindsight is 20-20 but to loan a £20m defender to Palace and play a veteran Brazilian midfielder instead - it's a mind boggler.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  6. littleDinosaurLuke

It's 1969

Peace man
    please log in to view this image

7. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

The answer is very simple - it's Klopp's fault but they can't bring themselves to say it because they're so up his arse.

8. You can **** right off!!! <laugh>

9. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter even if that's the case, you can't sack all the players so if you want the best chance of staying up then you need to make the change in management. Worked for Chelsea last season.

Personally, I think pundits, journalists and fans are too quick to push clichés onto players with pretty tenuous reasoning. We're told that the Leicester players were complacent, weren't trying hard enough and were letting their manager down. No one ever speculates about managers like that though.

I said right at the start of the season that I didn't like the way Ranieri was speaking about their chances. When they won the league, talking down their chances and saying they'll just take each game as it comes and enjoy it. That worked because they didn't want to have pressure on themselves, and hardly needed to be motivated, given they were doing so well. This season they needed motivation, they needed the pressure to perform and Ranieri didn't give them that so they slacked off and when you slack off in this league you can fall very far, very quickly. It didn't help that when Ranieri tried to change tactics he just made them worse too.

Leicester's aspirations have risen, as they should, and if Ranieri wasn't showing that he's equipped to deal with that, then he had to be replaced. No one would've had this reaction if Leicester had bought a new centreback and dropped Morgan, would they? No one cares when newly promoted sides sell players that helped get them promoted so that they can buy in new players. Sentimentality is a nice thing to have in football but you can't muck about with relegation. Bolton were close to going bust last year and the EFL is filled with sides who did well in the PL, got relegated and then never recovered, many of them were bigger clubs than Leicester too.

.... 3-0 :D

10. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

3-0. Liverpool are ****. Really annoying that we got it all wrong for the game at Anfield.

11. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

I hope they get relegated and never ever come back up.

12. humanbeingincroydon

I wonder what Frank Sinclair's thoughts on Jamie Vardy are right now?

Oh, wait, who gives a **** about Frank Sinclair's opinion?

13. humanbeingincroydon

...which one?

14. littleDinosaurLuke

So do I. Liverpool are a disgrace.

15. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Liverpool's next four fixtures:
    Arsenal (H), Burnley (H), Man City (A), Everton (A).
    I've no idea which games out of those they'll struggle with and which they'll find easy.

16. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

3-1. Game on? Schmeichel didn't even move.

17. Charlie Adam and Cesc Fabregas I imagine.....

18. humanbeingincroydon

19. littleDinosaurLuke

Liverpool heading for a 3rd defeat in 5 PL games - and they will have the 10th best defensive record after tonight.

Klopp seems a have a Wengeresque myopia about the shortcomings of his team.

20. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Yeah but he says funny things and there's a fancy German word for his tactics.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.