1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rival Watch / Other Teams

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by PINKIE, Dec 27, 2012.

1. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

What I'm scared most of is that there will be no change. We've seen scenarios at arsenal where theres an obvious action they need to take and nothing happened.

I could see a response like "one season does not equal 21. We'll be back to top 4 next year no need to worry"

Quilllogic likes this.
  2. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Quite obviously it would hit our revenue stream which is the only thing our board care about. So if their precious balance sheet starts looking a bit red then they might actually start to give a flying f*** about football again and excise themselves and their stooge manager out of anything to do with AFC.

3. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

I would want a change of manager first and foremost, but I begrudgingly expect Wenger will stay on for at least one more year. There has to be a shake-up to the coaching staff and management board as it just seems like there's too many 'yes' men who have very little accountability whatsover.

I'd want proper reinvestment into the squad. Not just a couple of French or South American teenagers that may or may not make it in 4 years time, but genuine first-team competition that can improve our options in key positions and give us quality in depth. Midfield is definitely a key issue here where we need a couple of additions, especially as I expect Wilshere to be sold in the Summer. With Walcott's omission from the first XI, we need another wide player and, if Sanchez does ago, we absolutely will need another striker.

I just hope there is a contingency plan already in place for if we do fail to get top 4 and our best two players end up deciding to depart. If there is no plan and we've put all our eggs in one basket, it could be a stressful Summer, leading to more unrest that could follow into the league season. It is vital that we strengthen properly this Summer.

4. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Yep, that's my concern. I don't think that finishing outside of the Top 4 is going to suddenly bring about a revolution that will make us title challengers next year.

Skylarker and TheBear like this.
  5. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

It's 99% certain that Wenger will stay, which until a proper replacement is found, is the right decision at the moment. Agree that on the playing side, we need to invest in some players along the lines of Sanchez and Ozil, that will not only keep them at the club, but will add to their strengths. No more Sanogo's please. Players out need to be Wilshere, Walcott, possibly Coquelin if we can find a really good DM (how long have we been saying this ?)

In the backroom, the coaching set up needs a radical overhaul. Something is not right in terms of the coaching because far too many times this season our players have gone missing. When you look at Spurs, Chelsea and City, those players put their lives on the line each week, it's do or die, whereas some of ours seems to coast through games and then look shocked when we get beaten.

In the boardroom, I want to see David Dein brought back in from the cold. He is Arsenal through and through and he's still got a lot to offer our club. In terms of getting deals done, he is Wenger's right hand man. The lukewarm approach of Gazidis, Law and Kronke seems to be pretty ineffective in terms of signing players, extending contracts and being on the pulse for new undiscovered talent.

lazarus20000 and BrunelGooner like this.
  6. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

I wonder if all the talk of a Director of Football is the way they will ease him out. He's very firm that he'll not answer to anyone but the Chairman but your board seem to want to change the structure. Maybe that's how he'll leave?

7. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Don't see the point of a DOF, it just seems like another layer of bureaucracy and source of friction within a club. You had Comolli and Baldini who together contrived to spunk millions up the wall, whilst Levy hired and fired managers like it was going out of fashion. No thanks, I don't want that at Arsenal and Wenger is right to kick it into the long grass.

TheBear likes this.
  8. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

Our experience is poor, I agree. It can provide continuity if you have managers come and go every 3 years (which is the norm)

9. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

The only true questions for you are, Wenger in or out, is this season rock bottom
    and the climb upwards begins this summer ??
    Or do you still have some way to fall before beginning that climb ??

10. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

We could fall a lot further if we make rash decisions based on a relatively poor season.
    It's not a crisis at Arsenal, we look like we'll finish 5th, possibly 4th if Liverpool **** it up and we still have an FA cup final to play.
    That by any stretch of the imagination is not a disaster of a season, although it's not good enough considering our expectations.

We need to make some changes and improvements, but I am not an advocate of the 'burn it to the ground and start again' mentality that some Arsenal fans seem to be following. I do not think some of our fans appreciate just how far we could fall if we get it wrong. We're a big club, but we are not immune to tumbling down the league if we don't get it right. We need to change, but we also need to ensure that we have stability through those changes.

11. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

You could still get top 4, we're being slightly rash here.

<diva>

remembercolinlee likes this.
  12. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

Either way the only change you need to make is Wenger going. You seriously need a fresh start.

white_gunner likes this.
  13. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

Yep, I pretty much agree with all this <ok>

14. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

I think if history is anything to go by then the club will react to dropping out of CL qualification. The only other time they went out and got a top player to avoid dropping out of CL quali was when we grabbed Arshavin in Jan and it worked. The only difference now is that we have loads of money and they might sit back and think they could wing it, but i don't think they are that foolish. It is obvious that the PL is a lot more competitive now than it's ever been, any 6 teams have the ability to win the league, which was never possible in the past.

We will have to wait and see what they will do in the summer. If they fail to react or implement the wrong changes, then we could see an even worse season. But maybe not having CL will help us, it did for Chelsea.

15. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

You didn't fall enough for that. If you don't make top 4, then you have got EL. Chelsea went all out rubbish to have a clear run at the League, you've done it half heartedly and got the worst of both worlds. The season you want to replicate is Utd's.

16. 667 - The Neighbour of the Beast

Apparently it is being reported that Poch has said this -

"There are many rumours, but I am committed with the club," he said. "There is no reason to leave. I will be here for pre-season. There is no buy-out clause in my contract, I will stay here next season."

Whatever you may think about him it cannot be denied that Poch comes across as a decent bloke, and he has done Spurs a massive favour by coming out and saying this because the rumours would have dogged Spurs throughout the Summer. It will also have helped to settle their players most of whom have already been linked with moves away from the club.

Compare their situation with ours!

We need to up our game a little bit I think!

SpursDisciple likes this.
  17. PeterRICK

PeterRICK Well-Known Member

You negative barstewards, I can't believe everyone has given up on top 4 already. You'll feel reet daft when Callum Chambers scores a hattrick against Liverpool.

winifred122 likes this.
  18. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

Yes. I think if Poch went, then our team would dismantle very quickly.

19. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

I think it would. It's the first time in ages that a manager has brought this much stability and mental strength to your team. Yes you haven't won anything but it's clear as day that you are making progress and have a solid team. It'll be interesting to see how you perform in the CL after having a season under your belt.

20. 667 - The Neighbour of the Beast

I know it won't be very popular with too many Arsenal fans but I'm going to say it anyway... I wouldn't have minded Poch coming to Arsenal. No chance of that happening now of course.

We might be able to tempt Kane to come back to his boyhood club, though.
    <whistle>