1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

RIP Steve Aizlewood

Discussion in 'Newport County' started by DaiJones, Aug 7, 2013.

1. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

Former Newport County defender Steve Aizlewood died last night in the Royal Gwent Hospital, Newport, after a short illness. He was 60.

Steve, a surveyor since retiring from football in 1984, leaves a wife Val and a son Simon.

His brother Mark is a former Welsh international who is currently the manager at Welsh Premier League club Carmarthen Town.

Steve was born in Newport on October 9, 1952, and his football career started when he signed a youth contract with Newport County in 1968.

He turned professional a year later and played as a defender with the club until 1976.

He made 197 appearances scoring 18 goals.

During this time, he made five appearances for the Wales Under-21 side.

He moved to Swindon Town and spent four years at the Wiltshire club scoring ten times in 112 starts.

He then moved to Portsmouth and in four further years, made 176 appearances scoring 13 goals.

After leaving Portsmouth, he played in the Southern League for Waterlooville before retiring from the game.

2. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Good post GB, pity there are no Newport fans on here to read it and make their own comments.

My first school football game (aged 9) was against Alway and Steve Aizlewood was playing for them. Amongst school boys he was a monster then. I think we lost 4 - 1.

I followed his career with Newport and beyond after that. My best memories are of the headed goals he scored for County from set pieces. He would arrive late in the box and thunder in headers from about the penalty spot giving keepers no chance - and that was with old fashioned footballs, soaked with rain water and heavy with mud.

In the early 70's when he was in his prime there was little hope of success at Newport so he had to move on to Swindon and then Portsmouth. It is a pity as he missed the achievements at Newport in late 70's/early 80's.

His career spanned nearly 500 league games. He is a legend at Newport and will be greatly missed. It is such a pity that he has gone just when Newport's star is on the up again.

RIP Steve and condolences to your family.