1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Retained List/Signings....

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by pirate49, May 18, 2012.

1. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

I have to say that the new faces we all wanted to see come to football in Bristol have been disappointing by their absence. The reds will still be languishing in the relegation zone according to those who put their money down at the bookies. Not many quality players are likely to be attracted to a bottom of the table scrap, even if it is in Division Two.
    Rovers, because they are in Division Four will always find it more difficult, although they have the advantage that again, according to the punter's view, they are liable to be challenging for promotion.
    Traditionally Rovers have always seemed to be able to find a treasure from amongst the lower leagues.
    Time will tell, but at the moment we only seem to be attracting old mates (in certain cases literally 'old').
    Let's hope MM can rectify this situation!!

2. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

apart from his last job, mcghee has been a success everywhere else, so he knows and trust certain players. which he needs for the task he has at our club. he knows fully what to expect from them and its very refreshing yo hear him say what he expects from them and that he be looking at them to lead the others.
    im happy with the player he has brought in. but fitness seems to be an issue and by his own admission we are 4 players short of the squade he wants. we need a pacey striker and a keeper as bevan injured and gough just not experienced enough to manage a new defence which needs bedding in. expect to see a lot of silly errors at the back at the start of the season - a lot like last season when buckle brought in a new team. when poke came in around xmas he was dominating the defence and results picked up. we need a keeper like that. conrad logan was released. i be very happy for him to come back then him and bevan fight it out while gough goes out to on loan to get experience.

3. Sapphire

Well let's hope that MM's plans are on track.
    As to the fitness issue. Years ago the Rovers were always one of the fitest sides at the start of every season. They ran the legs off most other teams and usually managed healthy starts to the season.
    Heres hoping that our little niggles can be addressed quickly.

4. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

mcghee has a reputaion of having hard pre seasons to get players fit. i dont think they are fit but i have seen a few who disagree and think they look unfit but are infact very tired where mcghee has been working the players hard. they apparently been doing normal training on the pre season match days so they are struggling during the games. i havent seen any pre season games myself but all i hear is not fit. maybe it is just tiredness. see what happens!

5. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think you might be right about the intensity of the training cjs.
    I 'heard' that Harrold remarked before one of the pre-season matches that
    he hoped he only played 45 minutes as he was knackered after the training!
    Poor soul.

Some more promising news..
    Paul Smith, ex Brentford, Southampton and Forest goalie 'signed'
    https://twitter.com/bbcbristolsport
    Dave Beasant as goalkeeping coach.
    Steps in the right direction...still a way to go though......

6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

still 2/3 weeks too late but better late than never <ok>

7. Sapphire

I would prefer MM to accumulate players who fit into his principles of a good team. Last season's chaos was largely caused because the manager? seemed to accumulate whoever had caught his eye, with no judgement on building a solid team from back to front.
    Looking back to '66, Alf Ramsay used several players who would not be noticed under normal circumstances in order to create a World Cup winning team and left out well known names like Jimmy Greaves.
    If it takes a little longer, then lets hope he gets it right in time!!.