1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Renault bailing on F1?

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by BrightLampShade, Sep 15, 2015.

1. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Looks like Renault is looking to leave F1 all together.....

http://www.autosport.com/news/repor...tm_medium=social&utm_campaign=brand awareness

Renault has confirmed it is renegotiating its contract with Red Bull after making clear it is no longer willing to be an engine supplier, and questioning the Formula 1 team's sportsmanship.

The French car manufacturer is currently involved in detailed negotiations with Lotus with regard to taking a majority stake in the team, and also with F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone over whether it will be granted historical status, which in turn will ensure it receives a greater share of future revenues.

CEO Carlos Ghosn, however, has confirmed for the first time the company's days of being an engine supplier are over.

Speaking at the Frankfurt Motor Show, Ghosn said: "We said very clearly, it's finished.

"We already alerted the Formula 1 authorities [saying] that 'Don't count on us as a provider of an engine. It's over'.

"We will honour our contracts, no problem, but the occasion of Renault as a developer and supplier of engines stops."

2. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

This isn't really news in the way the thread title suggests I don't think. Wasn't already confirmed that Red Bull had split from them? That's the only two teams they supply, and there was talk of them honouring the Mercedes contract should they buy Lotus anyway. It sounds to me like a bargaining position, an ultimatum to the FIA to give them what they want - historical status and presumably greater scope to develop their engine and come back.

3. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It could well all be a bluff, but if it's true the wording of Ghosn suggests that Renault is looking to leave the sport all together, rather than ditching RB to become their own constructor.
    Worrying times.

4. u408379965

The fact he "alerted the F1 authorities" first suggests to me it's a bluff. It certainly is worrying if they do leave though (which is why I think it won't happen), ten teams supplied by just two manufacturers isn't great for the sport.

5. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Anyone know if Renault leave as an engine supplier and buy Lotus (they have Merc PU deal for 2016). Can they come back as an engine supplier in 2017 and be treated as a new engine supplier? i.e. have 12 months away from any competitor using a Renault F1 Power Unit and use the 12 months to develop a new Renault F1 Power Unit without any development or token restrictions as they would not be a F1 engine supplier?

6. u408379965

I would have thought so. They should be able to just form a new subsidiary and re-enter if not. Honda could probably do the same thing, "pull out" at the end of next season and re-enter in 2017 as Mugen-Honda or something with a brand new engine. I can't see what the FIA could do to stop it.

Edit: Although they did stop Red Bull using an Infiniti engine, but that was probably more due to the fact it was a Renault engine with a few extra bells and whistles, if it had been designed from scratch (albeit by Renault) I think they'd have gotten away with it.

7. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Lol this would make F1 a joke if it claims to be a)the pinnacle of motorsport and b)road car relevant when the sport has two selfish performance engine brands and Honda who are doing a bad job and probably putting off other engine brands.

Hahaha ha