1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Remembrance Day Thread

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by sb_73, Nov 5, 2016.

1. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

We usually have one of these, generally respectful and moving, with Swords asking, year after year, about the significance of the poppy and whether it supports war, in the hope of starting an argument. I miss him, the old tosser.

Today I was reading about Field Marshal Sir Douglas Haig, nowadays generally blamed for the carnage on the Somme and at Paschaendale. What I didn't realise was that he was also responsible for the 100 days offensive in 1918 which won the war and was a national hero until the 1950s. After the war he devoted himself to veterans' welfare, formed the British Legion which adopted the poppy, raising the present day equivalent of £30m in its first year. At his state funeral in 1928 more people lined the streets than for Diana, Princess of Wales.

Uber_Hoop, KooPeeArr and QPR999 like this.
  2. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's a shame that UEFA/FIFA don't understand the significance of the Poppy, instead believing it's a Political statement.......

They should have seen the display at the Tower of London was it last year or the year before of the thousands of poppies laid out, truly inspiring display.

As an aside it's taken them 7 months to take action against Ireland for daring to wear the logo of the centenary celebration on their shirts in a friendly against Switzerland in March.......

Didley Squat likes this.
  3. Bush Rhino

Bush Rhino Well-Known Member

Ah yes Swords, I remember him.

I think series 4 Blackadder may of misinformed people of FM Haigs role, but the jokes were from the side of those taking his orders. That's quite a legacy he achieved.

4. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Really important day to remind people of the free democracy we enjoy in this country and the price with which it was bought by so many.
    We, the many, do indeed owe so very much to 'the few'.

5. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Sadly, it was the way wars were fought in those days. Soldiers were literally cannon-fodder and those who were traumatised were often executed as cowards. Totally different perspective these days and 'leaders' such as Haig are easy targets with hindsight. As you say Stan, he was revered as a hero in his own time. War is not a pretty game...

6. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"

7. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

8. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

Spent a couple of days in London earlier this week. Whilst waiting for our train home on Thursday at Liverpool St. station there numerous armed forces personnel at the station in full regalia looking resplendent. None more so than a couple of Gurkhas in kilts and bagpipes, brought a lump to my throat. It was London poppy day apparently.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  9. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

10. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

Quite the remembrance landscape displayed in the stands at the Leicester v WBA match.

please log in to view this image

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016

11. TheBigDipper

TheBigDipper Well-Known Member

The purpose behind the poppy gets my support 100%. I found the Tower of London display extremely moving.

I've never felt the Armistice Day ceremony glorifies war. It recognises the sacrifice of so many ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances they wouldn't have chosen for themselves.

What a shame other people try and put words and intentions into the mouths of the dead for their own benefit. They'll do it again this year - just watch the front pages.

Tramore Ranger likes this.
  12. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

I shall be attending the memorial service outside our local church on Sunday and will along with others, wear my poppy with pride. FIFA can do one as far as I am concerned. They are trying to force our players to bend to their will. Exactly the sort of enforcement that wars have be fought over.

13. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

Both England and Scotland say they will disregard the FIFA ruling, I just hope that they stick to it.

14. Didley Squat

kiwiqpr, Hoop-Leif and Hoops Eternal like this.
  15. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

FIFA started in 1928 before the second world war. I agree that all countries should tell FIFA to "shove it".

Hoops Eternal likes this.
  16. Tramore Ranger

Forum Moderator

To be fair Aussie that is Northern Ireland and the wearing of a Poppy up there can be a tad contentious in some communities, see James McLeans stance on the matter. I think the Black Armbands is a suitable compromise.......although I do agree with your sentiments......

Didley Squat likes this.
  17. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

18. Tramore Ranger

Forum Moderator

I saw on the news this morning that the BBC put a poppy on a puppet for last nights One Show in case people were offended that it didn't have a poppy on!!!!!!! I have to say that is PC gone to ridiculous lengths, as Brian Conley would say "It's a Puppet"

There was a good interview with Michael Morpurgo the author of War Horse who said that personal choice about wearing a poppy seems to have gone and now people feel compelled to wear it because if they don't they are being made to feel as if they are not remembering those who sacrificed their lives. He's right it should be a personal choice and someone choosing not to wear a poppy for whatever reason shouldn't be made to feel bad about it, we all remember those in our own way.

We will remember them.......

Wherever, Hoop-Leif, Kilburn and 2 others like this.
  19. Didley Squat

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them."

20. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image