1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Remember Cattermole ?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by The Little General, Jun 10, 2017.

1. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

Where has he got us ? Why would you keep him ? Passing, Pace, Injury Record, Ability to avoid Bookings ?
    Are there better for his wages ?

2. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

They're all for sale anyway surely? Apart from Pickford and Watmore, Ndong at a push(depends on his wages) I'm happy for the lot to piss off.

clockstander and Deleted like this.
  3. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

In general we play better with him in the side and in a squad bereft of leadership he stands out in that regard. Good passer too.

I've asked a couple of times before but nobody seems to know, is it the case that his recent surgery which put him out for ages was to sort a long term issue he had? Or has he had a mix of different injuries. If it's the former I'd prefer to keep him.

4. The Little General

Is it not we are as pants with him ? When he's in or not.
    How many Premier League Teams would we get our £6 Million back on him for ?
    Anyone here think he is the way forward ?

5. RedNWhite4Life

RedNWhite4Life Well-Known Member

Yes I do think he is the way forward. I said when we were confirmed as relegated the only 3 players I would want were Defoe Pickford and Cattermole. The rest could **** off. I was well aware at the time we would lose Defoe and probably Pickford so for me it is build a team around Cattermole to get us at least competitive in the championship.

6. The Little General

So ````````injuries, Suspensions and `````````games when he picks up his customary yellow card early doors you would rely on him ?

7. RedNWhite4Life

RedNWhite4Life Well-Known Member

Yes I would rely on him when he's on the pitch. He has matured a lot when was he last sent off? Yes he will pick up yellow cards and some of them early in games but name a centre mid who doesn't. All players get injuries and suspensions. I know he gets more than most but if he can play 3/4 of the games next season we will be a hell of a lot better for it.

Deleted and smithy in nl like this.
  8. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

Passes well, tackles hard and never quits. Injury record was unusually bad last season, but his discipline has improved a lot in the last few years. Whatever anybody thinks of him in the Prem he is better than Championship quality.

9. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

I know where you're coming from with that as a couple of seasons ago he was out Mr Liability with refs and media against him but he has calmed down in my view and his leadership qualities and attitude are not to be doubted - like other posters have said I think his prescence is needed for this team rebuilding period at least

10. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

We missed him this season.

11. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Agreed, I think if we keep him and I expect we will we'll be leaning on him quite a bit and he'll be up to the job.

His disciplinary record gets brought up a lot but it's old news, he's no worse than any other CM these days. He hasn't been reckless since I think it was Bruce who sorted his head out. Problem is referees see Cattermole mistiming a tackle and for some reason feel like they have to card him, like it's tradition or something. Maybe championship refs will give him a clean slate.

12. Burly Hurley

I thought his disciplinary record had improved the last few seasons.

If that is the case, it doesn't do him any favours if the clubs own fans perpetuate the same old myths.

13. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Not sure who you're referring to but I'm sure it will have and I think that objectively speaking he gets given cards for offences that other players wouldn't.

14. Burly Hurley

Wasn't having a pop at anyone Nacho, though I can see how my post may have suggested it.

I think it was Bri who came up with some stats last season about Catts that disproved the whole Catts is a liability thing. And as you also said, its old news.

I've always been a Catts fan but I do recall saying sometime last year that it maybe may have been time for him to move on.

Now, I'm just relieved the lad's still there. We'll need him big time next season.

15. Brian Storm

Yep, I went through all his bookings and what refs issued and the challenges themselves(most were stone wall yellows) It suggested no pattern of refs targeting him. The bookings he should never have had we probably most likely part of the consistent low standard which effects everyone. There's no conspiracy imo

Deleted likes this.
  16. Brian Storm

I agree, reputation takes a second to establish and a lifetime to shrug, how is he meant to shrug it when his own fans won't let him. This is something I've been vocal about for years. We're our own worst enemy at times.

17. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

Cattermole and N'Dong should boss the Championship.

Newcastle used Colback, Hayden and Shelvey, ffs

18. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Cattermole is excellent.... When fit!!! Sadly the second part of that happens sporadically

19. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

They most certainly is and yes you are right hes got us nowhere to be fair. Hes in his comfort zone here cause he knows if hes fit he plays.

The Norton Cat likes this.
  20. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

P.s i know its not his job but 1 goal in the whole time hes been with us is pretty shocking aswell.