1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Relegated teams/players

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Howe's about that then?, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Howe's about that then?

Howe's about that then? Well-Known Member

Assuming we don't snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and do go up are there ant players from the relegation candidates you would take?

I know there is an argument "they wouldn't be relegated if they were any good" but it's not as simple as that.

Boro - Gibson and Negredo (tho not their player)
    Sunderland - Defoe, maybe Pickford.
    Swansea - Sigurdsson, Mawson
    Don't know much about Hull
    Can't see any other team being sucked in

Schlem Boogerman likes this.
  2. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Only one for me would be Sigurdsson.

Others named we have better targets.

3. Howe's about that then?

Not Defoe?
    Bags of premiership experience, has scored at any premiership team he's been at. Has even managed to score playing for Sunderland.
    Can't see him suddenly being useless in a few months time.
    Obviously fee and other targets dependent but actual premiership experience can't be sniffed at

4. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Would be second or third choice but prefer Abrahams. He looks very promising and could go on to be really something. Defoe will be another year older and will he still be able to perform.

5. Tol3

Tol3 Active Member

Harry maguire from Hull would be good or chambers on loan at boro. As they have a good defensive record. I don't know if they have a dm? As that position is a must have for me

6. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

I was watching the El Clasico game last night with my mate who must have had a bang to the head.....he reckons we should keep Colback for next season <steam>

How about we send him back to the mackems......both club and player are championship standard.

7. Tol3

Tol3 Active Member

It's a shame how much colback has regressed as a player. He started well at us being a box to box style player. His goal against Southampton was naughty! I thought this season would be a good platform to get back to this, sadly this was not the case. I think there are more priority positions for us for this close season. So maybe as back up he'll do a job.

8. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Little point in ejecting Colback. He works hard and is a supporter so as a fourth choice is there much better? However, it's essential we buy ahead of him so that his first team opportunities are limited to the League Cup.

Kante just won player of the season. Shows the importance of that role. Sure, he's a different class, but it's vital we get someone who lets our attackers attack. Hayden is close, he did start as a CB so has defensive ability. He's just not natural in that role, so we could do with finding a gem to play as a real protector for him to learn from.

That said, DM isn't the most important position for me - it's AM. We just have nobody who can fill that role, at all. We'd again be relying on scouting, but just as Kante or Dier showcase the importance of a good DM, so Hazard, Willian, Alli, Erikson all show the need to have real quality between the lines. It's highlighted by the fact you could stick Kane or Costa in Newcastle's line up and they would look half the player they are. If we lined up with, say, Atsu, Sigurdsson and Ritchie I'd even think Mitrovic could score.

9. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

Negrado looks knackered this year, Boro's problem has been a massive lack of goals, there's better options than him.
    Pickford is definitely going to a bigger club than us, and Defoe will go to West Ham or another London club.
    Sigurdsson would be good, but will no doubt have better options than us.

pinching Tom Cairney from Fulham should be our top priority.

10. Toon_Man_Sam1

Toon_Man_Sam1 Well-Known Member

I'd take Defoe firstly because he would be on a free and secondly the mackems would have a meltdown!

Sigurdsson would be top choice. Anyone for Pickford?

Gaston Ramirez has been good at Boro, but I think we need someone more consistent on the wing, same applies to Adama Toure, good pace, no final product

Clucas at Hull has been mentioned in the press, meant to be a good player with a wand of a left foot, Grosiki and markovic have looked very good for Hull, but again what level are we looking for? perhaps higher?

Swansea (NOT Leroy Fer) he's been relegated at every club hes played for! Kyle Naughton? Llorente for a year? apart from that their squad is very poor, no one with any real value, I don't mind fabianski, but if we are going to sign another keeper they need to be top drawer!

11. Howe's about that then?

I'm not being deluded..... I think.
    Those saying "so and so would have better options than us" need to remember we somehow got Rafa, anything is possible.
    Sigurdsson would be my priority of those mentioned

12. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Pickford, Defoe, Sigurdsson, Mawson, Gibson, Ndong, Traore, Maguire, Naughton, Llorente could all be considered. There isn't a lot between the bottom 8 or 9 sides so buying from relegated clubs should not be shunned. You just have to choose carefully. Some of those aren't realistic for us mind. In an ideal world we would get Pickford, Gibson, Sigurdsson, Defoe. Reality is non of those will be an option to a side like ourselves.

Ranocchia, Markovic of non owned players.

13. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

As in Sigurdsson was at Tottenham and has been Swansea's stand out player again this season, I wouldn't be surprised if a team like Everton came in for him, maybe even Liverpool.

Clucas at Hull is a good shout, but they'll do anything to hang onto him if they stay up, Cairney is the same kind of player, and I'd rate him higher than Clucas.

14. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

I know it sounds daft, but why are we so bad at finding the likes of Clucas, Cairney, Gibson, Mawson?? How sh!t is our scouting??

This season we should have had one or two players making a name for themselves, coming up from the reserves or having been brought into the fold, or am I expecting too much?

15. Prince Isak (GG)

Prince Isak (GG) Well-Known Member

No you are not and your bang on the money. We have had no good/prem quality youngsters come through the ranks for a very long time that have kicked on and been a good player for us since Big Pandy C.

Unless you class Dummett as a good player to come through.

Southampton seem to spew out 3/4 a season.

But back on topic, I would'nt take any players from relegated teams (seriously I wouldnt) as their mentality will not be in the right place for another relegation dog fight which is what we will most likely be in next season. All players from relegated sides will command high transfer fees because they will be looked at by most premier league lower clubs and because the relegated clubs will either not want to sell or if they do its because they need the money.

Top championship level players is IMO the way forward with a spattering of European bench warmers at top clubs on loan. I am not going to mention names as thats not what this thread is about!

16. Warmir Pouchov

We have a young left back who is almost ready. Lewis Gibson. It will depend on Rafa, but he should be given a chance. He'll be 17 by the start of next season and if he is as good as it sounds then he should be in our first team squad.

17. Toon_Man_Sam1

As good as this kid might be, I would still be inclined to offer Fulham £20m for that Sessengon lad!

18. Warmir Pouchov

You can but they won't take it. What they will is sell him to Liverpool, Man U, Man C, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs - probably with a clause to loan him back. Failing that he will go to one of those and bench warm for a bit.

19. Tol3

Tol3 Active Member

He was playing on the wing for Fulham this weekend and has done for a lot of the season tbf

20. Toon_Man_Sam1

He can play where ever he wants in my opinion, at 16 years old to do as well as he has is phenomenal. No right foot, but with the right training he could be a world beater