1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Reg in again..Goldy injured again.

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM, Aug 12, 2016.

1. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Varney re-signs until Jan......McGoldrick out for several weeks with papermache ankles.

2. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Feck me...I thought you was joking.
    So both pitman and McG out...leaves Sears and Murphy. Can't see another four goal haul this week.

Nuggets likes this.
  3. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it is all utterly predictable.

Nothing you can do really, but pray that we don't lose anyone else... Though i wouldn't bet against "Murphy suffering from a tight calf" next week, and we'll be down to 2 (or less) 'fit' strikers. Though we might uncover a star in Mcloughlin or Morris if they are needed.

4. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

I would like to see young Monty Patterson given a chance tbh.

I'm sure we will start with Ol'manMurph and Sears upfront..........I think that Ward could easily do a job upfront and I wouldn't be surprised to see him play much of his career as a striker.

5. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

FFS, followed by FFS! Reg not good enough, desperation imo! Get didz off the payroll, throwing money away, far too fragile!

San Diego likes this.
  6. Guru of Ipswich

Guru of Ipswich Well-Known Member

Reg is a good squad filler and every club needs them, who in all fairness is going to take didzy with his record, even if we did let him go for free we would still have to pay most of his contract up mate!

7. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

And too selfish on the ball in my opinion.
    I actually think we do better without him.

8. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

When he is on song he is a great player.......trouble is the songs are to far apart.

As for Varney he is cheap and available as quick cover ...and knows the club/players and manager so imo it's risk free............it's not a signing to get excited about but also not worth ****ting your pants about.

I've heard Jay Tabb has been in town today too..................<laugh>

9. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Well you guys know my thoughts on Luke Varney (waste of effing space), and the fact that we considered him deadwood at the start of the summer does not exactly provide a ringing endorsement. This is a deal of convenience, to step in for McGoldrick, I imagine.

As others have mentioned, I would have no problems with both McGoldrick and Varney going, and a younger, more consistent striker being brought in their place. I think McGoldrick is a good player, and he's one of our most technically proficient players on the ball, but he is too injury-prone. Considering he's one of our top earners, or so I imagine, it doesn't exactly constitute value for money at a club where money is, apparently, in short supply.

I guess I have to rein in the anti-investment barbs slightly this summer, we've actually spent cash. But I think it's clear we need more investment. McCarthy said there are more deals to come, I just hope they're permanents and not loanees or freebies.

San Diego likes this.
  10. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

As you say nuggets, varney was obviously considered not good enough and not offered a contract but all of a sudden mm is 'delighted to re sign varney'
    Smacks of desperation to me!

San Diego likes this.

11. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Desperation is right, the reason weve signed Varney is because nobody else wanted him after we released him, as for McG when hes fit hes the most skilful player we have but as someone else said those days are getting further and further apart and its only the second game of the season, what a balls up.

12. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

I'm hopeful that Pitman can be the striker we need this season, I felt that for large parts of last season he was a better version of McG... Great positional sense, not greedy, not always injured.. and by far the best finisher at the club, though this time last season I would have probably said it was Sears, but he looks incapable of finishing his dinner, let alone notching double figures this season.

If Pitman stays fit all season and has a solid run of games I fancy he'll get 15+ goals with ease.

13. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Pitman and Grant out too, so we are losing our alleged more talented players/strikers faster than I could piggyback my old Gran onto the PR pitch! As dear Espanol would say...we are fooked!

Any confidence I had about our chances this season, are dwindling fast. Oh well, we were 2nd in the table for 5 mins!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  14. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Spanish it's desperation all around. Didn't mind Varney the first time around he was pleasantly good but the fact he's unattached and didn't find a club all season speaks volumes. Poor lad won't have had a pre season is going to be miles off it. I'll always get behind the lads but this one. HMMMM.

Pitman is by an absolute mile our best natural finisher. Not sure about his all around game. A bit Rhodes like, for me doesn't bring a bucket load to the table but sure knows where the net is.