1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Refs

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by greenhousmeadowman, Apr 2, 2017.

1. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

Hurst was understandably frustrated yesterday as we do seem to have been on the wrong end of some game-changing decisions this season but is there really a conspiracy against us? There may be something in the fact that refs are aware we were in trouble with the League over our early season glut of red and yellow cards. However, I think the main reason is that we are just not good enough and in particular have often been overrun in midfield which is where most of the bookings occur. Remember in MM's promotion season we tended to dominate possession and there were quite a few red cards for the opposition teams.
    Also, if like this season the opposition spends a large part of the game camped in our penalty area we are bound to be on the end of some dubious penalty decisions. Human beings (particularly in football) are very good at forgetting things that went their way (an example would be how Deegan was not sent off against Bolton as it was a blatant second yellow). I do feel the standard of refs has dipped this season and I think they are trying to impress assessors by trying to look decisive and giving lots of marginal decisions and a lot of cheap yellow cards. This means that the cheating players flourish and this gamesmanship is becoming a big issue again and will not go away until it is dealt with firmly in the Premier League.

2. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We have had possibly more than our fair share of decisions going the wrong way this season. Several have been those dubious second yellows too.

As you have mentioned we are not strong enough in midfield and amusingly I recently mentioned on Twitter about Agogo and got some daft comments back. No one thought we'd miss Woods when we sold him and we did, Abu is in a similar role and really helped to mop up those central midfield balls.